Oceania Embarkation

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:40 AM.
Treasure Island, Florida
11 Posts
Joined May 2017
We are leaving on our first cruise in a week on the Riviera. Our embarkation time is at noon. We would like to know how crowded it will be and how long is the boarding process. Should we show up at noon, before noon, or later? We don't want to stand in a long line in the heat.
GTA, Ontario, Canada
33,958 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
It will depend on the port & how many others show up at the same time
With only 1250 people it probably would not be too long of a wait
we usually enjoy the city then head to the ship about 1:30pm

YMMV
Treasure Island, Florida
11 Posts
Joined May 2017
The port is Barcelona and we are arriving there 2 days prior to departure. We are anxious to board and explore the ship but don't want to wait in long lines if we are standing out in the heat. Just wondering how long the process takes
Brooklyn, New York USA
7,208 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
Perhaps the real question is what cabin level you are in. Are you in a PH or above? In that case, the lines shouldn't be long.

We have checked in at Barcelona with an 11am time (but we probably got there around noon) and rarely had lines. If you are in a veranda cabin or below, there COULD be a longer line. BUT if lines are short in the "suite" level (and you aren't in a suite) they will wave people forward.

To be safe, you could do a city tour in the morning and get there a bit later. If you want to have lunch on the ship you should be on board by (I think) 3pm to be safe. Terrace used to close at 3pm but lately it has seemed to us that it was open until 4pm. But don't take my word for it!

We've never had a long wait when arriving around 11-12, but we're usually in a PH. As I said, those lines are shorter.

When we've showed up at the ship after 3pm, it was always VERY quick. But hard to predict when you arrive at noon ...

There is so much to see in Barcelona that we often show up later at the ship so as to see more of the city ...

Perhaps I should also say that I have very rarely seen really long lines at check-in, no matter when we showed up.

Mura
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send Mura a message:

Stamford, Connecticut
3,414 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by mphsp
The port is Barcelona and we are arriving there 2 days prior to departure. We are anxious to board and explore the ship but don't want to wait in long lines if we are standing out in the heat. Just wondering how long the process takes
This is always an awkward subject to address, partly because Oceania actually sells "early embarkation" as one of the benefits of staying in a Suite.

In Europe, they do try to accommodate those who are arriving at the ship directly from a transatlantic flight, recognizing that they will be tired, but I think that it is safe to say, without fear of successful contradiction, that EVERYONE will be "anxious to board and explore the ship".

I'd suggest that you arrive at your appointed hour, the waits are never anything like the mass market Lines.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Contact Stan & Jim here
USA
1,516 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Your individual documents State your assigned boarding time. If you show up at your assigned boarding time, your wait will probably be very brief. If you insist upon showing up prior to that time a guess on the extent of the wait will be that, merely a guess.

Enjoy Barcelona, and show up at or after your assigned time. You'll have plenty of time to enjoy the ship during your cruise.

Here's s plan for you. In the incredible occurrence that you are bored with Barcelona, line up a day tour down to the spectacular wine area of Priorat. You'll be wonderfully entertained until time to get to the ship.
Seattle
33 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by mphsp

We have a May 2018 cruise that also begins in Barcelona. We are arriving 3 days early. Any hotel suggestions? TIA!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1,119 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Have an extra few hours and don't rush...You can grab a train,easily,and go to Sant Sadurni to Cordoniu winery.Cava at its best.Originated from a family who made champagne and took the same principles to Spain 150 years ago,to develop the best cava.You can pre book if you wish,either a tour and tasting or an included brunch.Only €22.
Barcelona is hot,sticky and busy during August.Graffitti and smelly down side streets.Be very pick pocket aware.It is everywhere and very professional.
Do find an original tapas bar and enjoy the food and drink.I assume you have a week on the ship,minimum,so enjoy Barcelona...
London
28 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Just be aware that things can - and do - go wrong with embarkation. I've had 2 cruises with Oceania so far and been in OV cabins both times. The first I got straight on the ship no waiting. The second, the ship had been delayed getting into port and we had a two hour wait to board. As the other posters suggested, make the most of the morning and get to the ship when you're ready.
Switzerland
2,880 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
To answer the hotel question - we stayed at the Hotel DO Plaça Reial in Barcelona, in the old town and a really really nice hotel with great staff. A few minutes from la Rambla but far quieter.

Boarding - there seem to be 3 lines - Gold for Owners, Vista and Oceania plus (I think?) PH suites. Silver for the "Concierge class" and then a line for the others. People standing in the Gold line are taken first at the desks. Then as desks free up the Concierge class and finally the others.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Hambagahle has sailed on:
1952 Union Castle Line (Southampton/Port Elizabeth); 1963 Cunard Line (New York/Southampton); 1969, 1971 Italian Line (New York/Cannes & New York/Venice); 2002 Hurtigruten (Bergen/Kirkenes); 2005 Viking River Cruises - Danube; 2007 Deilmann River cruises - Elbe; and
REGENT --
Mariner - 2004 Alaska; 2005 Panama Canal; 2008 Lima to Buenos Aires; 2010 Mediterranean, 2012 Trans-Atlantic
Voyager - 2006 Baltic; 2006 Trans-Atlantic
Navigator - 2009 Trans-Atlantic; 2011 Eastern Caribbean
OCEANIA --
Riviera - 2013 Western Caribbean; 2015 Trans-Atlantic

Belgium
34 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
Originally posted by CruisingIGo
We have a May 2018 cruise that also begins in Barcelona. We are arriving 3 days early. Any hotel suggestions? TIA!

We have been staying at the PULITZER in Barcelona 4 years ago and that's where we are going to stay for 2 nights prior to leaving for the Sept 8th cruise on Riviera.
Very clean, nice staff, good price for Barcelona, superb location in the center of the city enabling you to just visit everything, good breakfast.
5,047 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
TS is concerned about a long line in the heat. Barcelona has security and check in inside in air conditioning, doesn't it? I remember having seating available as well. If so then not much risk if you come at the appointed time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Cruzin!

Transatlantic, Oceania Riviera, Nov 2018; Eastern Carib Carnival Freedom Jan 2018; Norway Eclipse, Aug 2015; W. Cari. Emerald Princess, Apr 2015; Pac Coastal Celebrity Century, May 2014. Western Carib Crown Princess, Mar 2013; Mediterranean, Celebrity Solstice, May 2012; W. Caribbean, Carnival Conquest, Sep 2011; Transatlantic Regatta Oceania, Nov 2010; 7N E. Car., Carnival Fantasy, May 2010; W. Caribbean, Carnival Conquest, Feb 2010; Gulf of Mexico, Carnival Ecstasy, Dec 2008; Transatlantic Regatta Oceania, Mar 2008; Canada/New England Crown Princess, Sep 2007; Midway/Hawaii Regal Princess, May 2007: W. Caribbean, Grand Princess, Feb, 2007 ;So. Car.,Volendam HAL, Nov, 2006; Caribbean,Zuiderdam, HAL, 2005; W Caribbean Galaxy, CCL, 2005;Transatlantic Jewel RCI,2004; W Caribbean Sovereign RCI, 2003; Hawaii Infinity, CCL, 2002; Transatlantic Rotterdam, HAL, 2000; Caribbean Galaxy CCL, 2000; Mexico Harmony, Crystal, 1999; Caribbean Zenith, CCL, 1999; South America Royal, Princess, 1998/9; W Caribbean Noordam, HAL,199?; Caribbean Horizon, CCL, 199?; Caribbean Enchanted Seas, Commodore, 198?; Alaska Regal, Princess, 198?.
1,759 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Originally posted by happy cruzer
TS is concerned about a long line in the heat. Barcelona has security and check in inside in air conditioning, doesn't it? I remember having seating available as well. If so then not much risk if you come at the appointed time.
Yes, both docks (for O class and for R) have inside check in and seating. As well if one needs personal help they will be attended to.
Arriving at the appointed time to minimize waiting is good advice. First cruise we arrived at the World Trade Centre pier around 2 pm (why hurry when there is so much local flavour to enjoy even after many visits to BCN, etc) and there was us two and a lot of staff. We were very well welcomed with personal VIP service being the only pax checking in.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Some assembly required
San Francisco Bay Area
8,475 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by YoHoHo
Yes, both docks (for O class and for R) have inside check in and seating. As well if one needs personal help they will be attended to.
Arriving at the appointed time to minimize waiting is good advice. First cruise we arrived at the World Trade Centre pier around 2 pm (why hurry when there is so much local flavour to enjoy even after many visits to BCN, etc) and there was us two and a lot of staff. We were very well welcomed with personal VIP service being the only pax checking in.
Agree.
A great tapas lunch in Barcelona beats the turkey in Terrace any day for us
South West MO
6,728 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
I've never seen a long line on any of the Oceania cruises I've been on. I've been on a couple of them
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Up
Oceania Nautica Copenhagen-London Splendid Scandanavia; Aug 28, 2017 12 night
Oceania Marina Barcelona -Miami Pathway To Sunshine; Dec 3, 2017 14 night
Celebrity Solstice Alaska; Seattle-Seattle Jun 1, 2018 7 night
Oceania Marina, Amsterdam-Amsterdam Nordic Adventure; July 14, 2018 14 night

Past Cruises
"Enough to Know"
USA
1,516 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Only long line I ever saw was due to immigration control and outside of Oceania's control. Show up after 1:30 and it won't be a problem. You avoid all those people that fly in the morning of the cruise, go straight to the ship, and sit. You also miss all those that insist upon showing up at 10:00 even though their documents say 13:00!
Kansas City, MO
1,741 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
When I board the Riviera in Barcelona on Oct. 25 I don't plan to board until 5:00pm. I will be on an all day tour to Montserrat wit ha drop off at the ship. We don't sail until 11:00pm so I assume late boarding will be accommodated, with at least one person at the check in desk.

BTW, does O allow you to take your luggage to your room yourself? I have a dinner reservation for Red Ginger that night at 6:30 and don't want to be waiting for the luggage to be delivered to the cabin so I can change from my day touring clothes to dinner ones. I am physically capable of handling my rolling duffle bag and carryon myself.
USA
1,516 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
All luggage and carry ons must go through X-ray inspection before coming aboard. The ship machine ,where you personally board, is not full sized and primarily for hand held luggage. It may or may not be large enough for your luggage. That will be the determining factor.
New York NY
569 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Originally posted by CruisingIGo

Greetings from South Beach, CruisingIGo. Our favorite hotel in Barcelona is Hotel Colon, Av. de la Catedral 7. 08002 Barcelona, Spain. Phone +34 933 011 404. We love the location. It is central, within walking distance of Las Ramblas and many other sites. Beware pickpockets. They are a municipal plague.
Mary
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Stanley Wertheim
Brooklyn, New York USA
7,208 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
If you want to save a little money, the Regencia Colon is right in back of the "real" Colon. Our room was unusually large for Europe and the service was great. It's not a fancy hotel but a good deal for the money. And the same great location.

We've also stayed at the Europark (more expensive and the location wasn't so great for us although it's a convenient 10 minute walk to Sagrada Familia) and the two Continental hotels on either side of Plaza Catalanya. The cheaper one is below the Plaza and I imagine today people staying there are having trouble getting in and out of the area (or even to their hotel) because of today's terror attack.

The Hotel Continental Barcelona has (at least it did in 2005) a large backpacker contingent. It's on an upper floor of an office building on Las Ramblas. The Continental Palacete is a bit fancier. Both have 24 hour food available although at the cheaper hotel it's more snacks.

Mura
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send Mura a message: