Donating Blood after Visiting Mayan Ruins

TXBBQDUDE

Just a heads up if you visit the Mayan Ruins you will have to wait one year to donate blood. I just found out when trying to donate today. I had donated for 4 years straight but know I have to wait a year. Not a big deal I have always wanted to see the ruins so it is a fair trade to me.

Just a heads up if you visit the Mayan Ruins you will have to wait one year to donate blood. I just found out when trying to donate today. I had donated for 4 years straight but know I have to wait a year. Not a big deal I have always wanted to see the ruins so it is a fair trade to me.

Not just the ruins. Before I moved here I had taken a cruise and went to Caye Caulker and had to wait.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the Red Cross list:

Belize Belize City – No deferral.

All other areas outside of Belize City – Not eligible for one year after return.

Caribbean Bahamas – No deferral, except for travel to Great Exuma Island which would make donor ineligible to donate for one year after return.

Dominican Republic – Entire country at risk for malaria except for the cities of Santo Domingo and Santiago.

Grand Cayman – No deferral.

Haiti – Not eligible for one year after return.

Jamaica – No deferal.

Roatan, Honduras – Not eligible for 12 months after return.

Puerto Rico – No deferral.

Nice list. Thanks for sharing. There reason, for those who asked, is the risk of transmitting malaria. You may not have had it your self but you may be a carrier, if you got bit. The Red Cross, et.al. are very cautious on making sure they have a good quality blood supply.

Edited by crewsweeper

I thought they recently amended it that it only counts if you were there for 24hrs+ if you are there only the day you don't get deferal anyway

The 2014 CDC Yellow Book still says 1 year but I'm trying to find a more current source

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2014/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/malaria