Kindest thing you can do...

Longstockingpippi1

for many of your fellow passengers is to take the stairs if you are physically able. Parents with strollers, people with wheelchairs, canes or crutches don't have the option of using the stairs. If you could also remind your children not to view the elevator is a form of entertainment it would be appreciated. Thank you from Kelly's mom (she is a wheelchair user).

Having been on a cruise with a family member that was in a wheelchair, I can add, please, please, if you see someone in a wheelchair waiting for an elevator, let them get on first. We were shocked at the way people would shove their way around her to get on the elevator. There are more than enough elevators that you can get on if you miss the first one. Have a little respect for the handicapped.

This hits a sore spot with me too. Once when hubby was in a w/c so couldn't scoot to an available elevator when the bell dinged and waited in front of one just to be bombarded with others rushing by to get on. We had to get vocal to others about it. Another involved a gentleman pushing a manual chair with his mom in it. It happened at a glassed in atrium elevator. After 2 tries, I jumped to the door, got a bit vocal telling those waiting to stop rushing and let this man push his mom on.

I would also add that many disabilities are not visible to others. So when you see someone riding an elevator up one floor and that person looks able-bodied, they may have a "hidden" disability such as a heart condition that makes the stairs difficult. I have a good friend with a severe lung problem who gets harassed for having a handicap placard because she doesn't look disabled. This poor girl can't even work anymore due to her illness.

So I never judge when people ride the elevator rather than take the stairs. Unless they come sprinting to the elevator lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This hits a sore spot with me too. Once when hubby was in a w/c so couldn't scoot to an available elevator when the bell dinged and waited in front of one just to be bombarded with others rushing by to get on. We had to get vocal to others about it. Another involved a gentleman pushing a manual chair with his mom in it. It happened at a glassed in atrium elevator. After 2 tries, I jumped to the door, got a bit vocal telling those waiting to stop rushing and let this man push his mom on.

You sound like me, I am very vocal when it comes to situations like that. The same thing happened to us on the Conquest last January. My FIL was in a wheel chair and we could not get an elevator. Funny thing is, is that we had a Carnival Employee pushing him, but he didn't say anything. I think there should be an elevator blocked off as they do during luggage delivery, just for people with disabilities, Health issues etc. I think that would very helpful.

I only use the stairs while cruising with very very few exceptions. I think you are right more people should consider this, if they can.

1. There are people who need to take the elevator, and they should have a priority.

2. It's faster.

3. For me, I'm a little claustrophobic and not being packed in an elevator is better.

4. Prevents large weight gain on the cruise. Always amazes me how many times I see people on the treadmill next to me and then they are waiting for the elevator after working out.

It is sad to see people who clearly need the elevator, being cut off by others scrambling around them.

I must also chime in. In April, I took my first cruise where I was incapacitated and had to use a cane to get around. I was truly appalled by the general lack of disregard for people with clear mobility issues from the shows, to the MDRs and especially on the elevator. I have another cruise soon and have recovered nicely from the injury that caused the cane use. Having the April experience, I will definitely be more mindful of using the stairs when I can and being generally more courteous to those with mobility issues.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not in a wheelchair (yet) but I do have mobility issues and always use a cane and sometimes a rolling walker. The only time I've ever been shown any consideration for my condition was directly from Carnival employees when they were on the scene. So kudos to them for watching out for us.

But I think a lot of it is not just bad manners and being inconsiderate, but because we've been conditioned not to stare, not to regard a person's handicap, not to "treat them special". And unfortunately that kind of conditioning bleeds over into situations where it's plainly evident that folks with handicaps do need some consideration as opposed to fully physically able folks.

To heck with being politically correct. I'm going to try to accommodate anyone with a disability if at all possible, even disregarding my own at times. There's always someone worse off. While I can't manage going up stairs, I can manage going down, albeit slowly and carefully.

Always amazes me how many times I see people on the treadmill next to me and then they are waiting for the elevator after working out.

It is sad to see people who clearly need the elevator, being cut off by others scrambling around them.

Try not to judge who "needs" the elevator. I regularly walk several miles on a treadmill, but due to multiple knee surgeries, I have been advised by my physician to avoid stairs when at all possible. More than one or two flights a day, and I would have to spend an entire day not walking anywhere.

I do agree people should be considerate of others when using elevators.

Edited by Pudgesmom

I would also add that many disabilities are not visible to others. So when you see someone riding an elevator up one floor and that person looks able-bodied, they may have a "hidden" disability such as a heart condition that makes the stairs difficult. I have a good friend with a severe lung problem who gets harassed for having a handicap placard because she doesn't look disabled. This poor girl can't even work anymore due to her illness.

So I never judge when people ride the elevator rather than take the stairs. Unless they come sprinting to the elevator lol.

Was going to chime in with much the same thing... I use a chair these days, but even prior to using any sort of aid and looking young, fit and healthy, stairs were a huge struggle for me. So I try not to judge people unless, as you say, they come belting up to the lift - or they've previously run up & down stairs whenever they want to get to something faster ...happens to me all the time, shopping centres, and even train stations - where they've got escalators anyway.

I'd also add - scooters, wheelchairs, etc. in lifts are not there for able-bodied people to lean on. If you stumble and accidentally bump me, okay, but if you need to hand on to something use the rail. You'd not grab a random stranger by the arm or shoulder and hang onto them for the trip - a random stranger's wheelchair is no different

I'd also add - scooters, wheelchairs, etc. in lifts are not there for able-bodied people to lean on. If you stumble and accidentally bump me, okay, but if you need to hand on to something use the rail. You'd not grab a random stranger by the arm or shoulder and hang onto them for the trip - a random stranger's wheelchair is no different

People actually do this?!? :eek:

People actually do this?!? :eek:

More often than you'd think. I'm guessing it's in part because the back rest of my chair sits at about hand level for a person of average height & that they do it without thinking, but it drives me nuts. Amazing the number of people who feel it's okay to pat me too :eek: I hate people being in my personal space anyway - can't always be avoided in a crowded lift I know - but one of the conditions I have means that over a lot of my body, my brain interprets normal touch as pain - so someone patting me on the back or grabbing my shoulder is more like if they'd slapped a patch of bad sunburn.

I must also chime in. In April, I took my first cruise where I was incapacitated and had to use a cane to get around. I was truly appalled by the general lack of disregard for people with clear mobility issues from the shows, to the MDRs and especially on the elevator. I have another cruise soon and have recovered nicely from the injury that caused the cane use. Having the April experience, I will definitely be more mindful of using the stairs when I can and being generally more courteous to those with mobility issues.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a disability and walk with a cane .On a cruise last year I was entering the theater to see a show .The ship had the last 2 rows designated for people in wheelchairs and canes .A guy pushed me aside and sat down in one of the seats .He was not in a wheelchair nor did he use a cane .He refused to get up and began to curse and threatened me .A person working for the ship asked him to get up but he refused to do so.

DH is limping around with a cane after breaking a hip in June. He should be doing pretty good by the time our cruise starts in 3 weeks :eek:. One thing in our favor is that we were pretty active before his injury so he's doing well although we definitely won't be doing stairs.

I used to ride the bus to and from work so I'm used to running interference for someone in a wheelchair or whatever.

... Always amazes me how many times I see people on the treadmill next to me and then they are waiting for the elevator after working out. ...

My husband would be one of those. He uses the treadmill to get necessary exercise but because of knee problems cannot do stairs. So after using the treadmill he takes the elevator to next destination.

More often than you'd think. I'm guessing it's in part because the back rest of my chair sits at about hand level for a person of average height & that they do it without thinking, but it drives me nuts. Amazing the number of people who feel it's okay to pat me too :eek: I hate people being in my personal space anyway - can't always be avoided in a crowded lift I know - but one of the conditions I have means that over a lot of my body, my brain interprets normal touch as pain - so someone patting me on the back or grabbing my shoulder is more like if they'd slapped a patch of bad sunburn.

Do you have RSDS or RSD or whatever they are calling it this year. You can grab my leg and it doesn't hurt but blow on it and I'm at a 10 pain level. Nervous system brain misfire.

I have not seen the disregard for disabled people described. Maybe I need to be more aware. I will be on the lookout in the future and try to accommodate as I believe most people would.

Because you aren't looking down. You are looking straight ahead. You would be amazed at when I'm at a complete stop, just sitting there and someone texting or walking and talking to someone else or even walking backwards trips over me. They look at me and give me a dirty look. Dude! I wasn't the one moving.

I am also astonished at the lack of basic manners at the elevators, it is like manners fly right out the window. We take the stairs for the most part but have witnessed what you all are describing and I am just appalled at the lack of elevator etiquette. :rolleyes:

I have a disability and walk with a cane .On a cruise last year I was entering the theater to see a show .The ship had the last 2 rows designated for people in wheelchairs and canes .A guy pushed me aside and sat down in one of the seats .He was not in a wheelchair nor did he use a cane .He refused to get up and began to curse and threatened me .A person working for the ship asked him to get up but he refused to do so.

Wow that is unreal. What a jerk! I don't know what else you can do at that point.

Do you have RSDS or RSD or whatever they are calling it this year. You can grab my leg and it doesn't hurt but blow on it and I'm at a 10 pain level. Nervous system brain misfire.

That'd be the one (I go by CRPS rather than RSD...though both are rather daft names IMO...) sorry you know the joys (not) of it as well. I have had it coming up 18 years, but I've also got some "bonus" pain/neuro issues thanks to hEDS & spinal injuries - pretty sure both add to the allodynia stuff that comes with the CRPS...thankfully kind of controlled for me with spinal cord stim, IT meds and a hell of desensitisation - but anyone touches me in the wrong spot and they know about it...

I will add my voice to those who have observed and experienced the utter lack of consideration some cruisers have towards the obviously mobility challenged.

But I have had similar experiences on land. I do think the problem is exacerbated aboard simply because the elevators tend to be much smaller than those ashore.

I will add my voice to those who have observed and experienced the utter lack of consideration some cruisers have towards the obviously mobility challenged.

But I have had similar experiences on land. I do think the problem is exacerbated aboard simply because the elevators tend to be much smaller than those ashore.

Certainly not limited to on a ship.

I'm suffering from a trapped nerve in the neck at the moment which is incredibly painful and although I look healthy walking is uncomfortable as are stairs. If I had to use the lift people would probably think I was one of the selfish people we are talking about.

Hidden ailments are difficult.

I'm suffering from a trapped nerve in the neck at the moment which is incredibly painful and although I look healthy walking is uncomfortable as are stairs. If I had to use the lift people would probably think I was one of the selfish people we are talking about.

Hidden ailments are difficult.

Hi Babs

When I wrote this I wasn't trying to paint people who use the elevators as bad. We all are entitled to use the elevators. I was just trying to point out that some cruisers have absolutely no choice but to depend on the elevators and that being aware and courteous to them means a lot.

On more than one occasion as my daughter and I were waiting for the elevator I thought "What would I do in an emergency?" (Random strange thoughts) help to pass the time away, but it was uncomfortable in that regard that some of us REALLY REALLY have no other way to get from floor to floor. And in an emergency I'm sure my super mom strength would kick in and I could carry her from floor to floor!!!!