United States Only Ports of Call

cruisin614

Hello

I am looking for a cruise that does not leave the United States that goes to the Caribbean Islands. Most look like they include Mexico or Turks and Caicos. I know I have the option of selecting a Hawaiin or Alsakan cruise but they tend to be more expensive. Anyone know of any that keep it American? Thank you!

Hello

I am looking for a cruise that does not leave the United States that goes to the Caribbean Islands.I am so confused by that sentence Most look like they include Mexico or Turks and Caicos. I know I have the option of selecting a Hawaiin or Alsakan cruise but they tend to be more expensive. Anyone know of any that keep it American? Thank you!

A cruise that does not leave the US but sails to caribbean islands.?? :confused:

There is probably a ferry that goes from San Juan to St. Thomas maybe?

The Passenger Vessel Services Act severely limits the cruise ships that can sail only within the US. Only ships that are constructed in the US, registered (flagged) in the US and employing at least 80% Americans. Of the major cruise lines only the one NCL ship in Hawaii meets these requirements. At one time NCL had three ships in Hawaii, but they had difficulty getting enough Americans to work.

Don't all cruises to Alaska have at least one stop in Canada?

All the major cruise lines (such as Princess, HAL, etc) do have a stop in Victoria or Vancouver. I think there are one or two small lines that meet the PVSA rules and only call on US ports.

I'm not sure why you want to limit yourself to only American Ports but you know you do not have to get off the ship at any port you don't want to.

Several lines also have cruises to nowhere where all you get are sea days. I also think many repositioning cruises from like NY to San Juan/Miami visit Southern US Coastal Cities; not sure if they throw in an island to meet the PVSA Rules.

Don't know how much time you have spent in St Thomas or San Juan.

There is a very good reason why nearly every cruise ship that calls at St Thomas leaves before dark. The crime rates in St Thomas are skyrocketing.

On the rare occasions when my ship has been there after dark, we require all crew to be back onboard before sundown. It's just too dangerous.

San Juan is a bit safer. But the local police and taxi drivers are so corrupt that we have to caution all passengers and crew to take special care when going ashore there.

Don't all cruises to Alaska have at least one stop in Canada?

One exception would be the Alaska Marine Highway ferries (US flag vessels) departing from Bellingham, WA and not docking again until Ketchikan, AK two nights later.

I'm not sure why you want to limit yourself to only American Ports but you know you do not have to get off the ship at any port you don't want to.

Some people do have passport/visa/immigration issues that would make boarding the cruise that stops at a foreign port an issue ... not suggesting that the OP does, but I am studying with people from other countries who cannot take a cruise as they are not sure they would be allowed back into the US once they've left.

Several lines also have cruises to nowhere where all you get are sea days. I also think many repositioning cruises from like NY to San Juan/Miami visit Southern US Coastal Cities; not sure if they throw in an island to meet the PVSA Rules.

Unless the ship is US-flagged (US-built ship and primarily US-crew), they must have a foreign port stop, island or mainland, unless the cruise begins or ends at a foreign port.

beachchick

Actually, they stop in Prince Rupert BC before stopping in Ketchikan.

When I rode the Columbia a couple of years ago, there was no stop in Prince Rupert or any other Canadian port. At that time AMHS had another ship that embarked from Prince Rupert, but it did not cruise to Washington state (it only went north to Alaska).

When I rode the Columbia a couple of years ago, there was no stop in Prince Rupert or any other Canadian port. At that time AMHS had another ship that embarked from Prince Rupert, but it did not cruise to Washington state (it only went north to Alaska).

Their current schedule shows a stop at Prince Rupert at 36 hours. Maybe that is only for winter time?

Some people do have passport/visa/immigration issues that would make boarding the cruise that stops at a foreign port an issue ... not suggesting that the OP does, but I am studying with people from other countries who cannot take a cruise as they are not sure they would be allowed back into the US once they've left.

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to give me an explanation. I was just curious, my thinking was person was nervous getting off in foreign country :o.

Archived