No cruises to Dominica in Sept 2008?

mikeerdas

I was considering doing an eastern caribbean cruise, but I'm a hiker and the hiking seems lousy (as far as elevations go). Dominica would be more to my liking--a 10,000 footer vs. ~1,000 to ~1,500 footers.

Me and my wife want to do a cruise in late September (anniversary), but I can't find a single cruise that stops at Dominica. Would that be due to current cruises being full, or Dominica being off the list in September due to it being hurricane season.

Failing Dominica, are there any eastern or western caribbean ports with good hiking (by good, I mean real mountains / volcanoes and not hills (hills being 2,000 ft or less by my unscientific designation).

On the other hand, if a mountain starts directly from sea level, maybe a 1,500 footer would be more impressive than I'd suspect. I'm used to mountains in the Appalachians, where the 6,000 footers already start at high elevations.

I didn't check all the lines- just Carnival. It appears there is a 2 month lapse between the Destiny going there and the Victory taking over the route. I'm confused unless both ships are going into drydock or something.

I didn't check all the lines- just Carnival. It appears there is a 2 month lapse between the Destiny going there and the Victory taking over the route. I'm confused unless both ships are going into drydock or something.

Destiny will be in dry dock and Victory doesnt start sailing from San Juan until Nov.

Have you considered St Kitts? The volcano, Mount Liamuiga, is 3,800 feet so it meets your definition and sounds like a pretty decent hike...can't comment personally, but I have done a bit of research on it for our upcoming trip this summer.

Have you thought about Oct. ?

There are lots of ship repositioning during Sept. and that is probably why you are not finding anything.

Holland America and Princess both go to Dominca in Oct.

Archived