Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Lose Before You Cruise

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Lose Before You Cruise A place for cruisers to share their stories of how to lose weight before a cruise. Virtual snacks allowed, but only in small quantities.

Old April 19th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Welcome Mary. It's been a bit quiet this week, I know I've been glued to the television and am so happy that the terror in Boston is over.

I noticed no one has reported today. I forgot to weigh in - but will do so tomorrow. Hope everyone is well.

Charlene

February 2004 - Zaandam (Holland America) - Caribbean
December 2004 - Zaandam (Holland America) - Caribbean
August 2006 - New York City and Boston
December 2006 - Volendam (Holland America) - Caribbean
December 2007 - Land tour of Italy (Trafalgar Tours)
December 2008 - Grand Princess (Princess) - Caribbean
July 2010 - Caribbean Princess (Princess) - Caribbean
November 2012 - Infinity (Celebrity) - Panama Canal
October 2013 - Grand Princess (Princess) - Hawaii

Old April 19th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Charlene,

I'm excited to get back to eating healthier! My WW was they work and was mandatory I'd your BMI was higher than 39. Now it's just under that so they won't pay for WW.

I have a great treadmill, starts st 10% incline...it's just getting ON it!
I weigh 138 but as short as I am that's considered obese. Would love to get to 120 or 115 would be amazing!!

I always seem to sabotage myself, know how to eat right but can talk myself into ice cream, etc.

I'm happy to be here!

Old April 20th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_cloud View Post
Hi Charlene,

I'm excited to get back to eating healthier! My WW was they work and was mandatory I'd your BMI was higher than 39. Now it's just under that so they won't pay for WW.

I have a great treadmill, starts st 10% incline...it's just getting ON it!
I weigh 138 but as short as I am that's considered obese. Would love to get to 120 or 115 would be amazing!!

I always seem to sabotage myself, know how to eat right but can talk myself into ice cream, etc.

I'm happy to be here!
Well, I don't think you are the only one who does that! Most of us know how to eat right - BUT - we are human.
I had ice cream last night. First time I had that for quite a while. But I included it as part of my 1500 calories for the day. I need a treat everyday - so I just build it in to my day. Many of us here use My Fitness Pal to track our food. I have been using it since September and am down 27 pounds as of today. I only have 2 pounds to go to reach my goal. But I think the key for me will be to continue to track my calories even when I am maintaining my weight.
The best tools for me are: My fitness pal; my food scale; my weight scale and my running shoes (for walking though).
Good luck.

Old April 20th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi all, I've been awol for awhile. Had a good friend visiting last week. My weight has stayed about the same which I'm okay with since I haven't been behaving myself with food and wine anyways. Still exercising like always.

Welcome Mary!!

Ann- yes it is expensive, I agree. Thats why I just get the regular stuff. But you don't have to buy all fruits and veggies organic, some make no difference. Just the "dirty dozen", google it, though I don't even do that. Mine all come from the farmers market and who knows where they get them, because I know they aren't growing them all over here.

sbfaninwy - I'm going to have to try that cat ball recipe, I only have vanilla protein though, could work. More like a peanut butter cookie maybe.

Summergirl - Congrats on the skinny jeans!!

My flight leaves in 10 days!!! Yikes!!

Talk to you all soon.

Old April 20th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi All!

I am still here... but I'm a stress eater and I'm stressed-out these days... leaving my current job, starting a new job 3 days after we return, and last-minute packing & making sure I have everything for the trip.

I have been eating badly and I FEEL it. I FEEL terrible, I am bloated, I feel like I've gained 20 pounds and my clothes are tight around my waist again. So, this morning I woke-up and weighed. I was sitting at a total of 8 pounds down (since January) so it wasn't AS BAD as it could have been. Today has been a good day - I've been going-going-going all day long. This is the first time I've sat down all day. This is my last weekend to get things done around the house until we leave!! I have FIVE days of work left - YAY!!! I realize I won't be able to lose much weight by the time we leave and I won't be "Skinny in Italy" but I do plan to eat healthier as I've realized not eating healthy makes me feel TERRIBLE.

This thread has been very informative and helpful to me. I plan to return to my NEW job and start "over" with a good, healthy lifestyle. I genuinely mean that and know I will stick to it 90% of the time... and for me, that is a long-term change I'm excited about!

Best of Luck to everyone and some of you I will see in Italy - SOON!!!
*Carnival ~ Spirit ~ B2B 12 nights ~ Vancouver, BC all the way to the Mexican Riviera (Ensenada, Manzanillo, PV, Cabo) ~2011
*Carnival ~ Triumph ~ Galveston ~ Progreso/Cozumel ~ 2012
*Carnival ~ Legend ~ Greek Isles (Italy/Croatia/Greece/Turkey/Spain) ~ 2013
My European Cruise Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1850814

Up Next ~ China Yangzte River Cruise ~ Victoria Cruises

Old April 21st, 2013, 03:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupKayke View Post

Best of Luck to everyone and some of you I will see in Italy - SOON!!!
I am getting stressed too I think. I don't stress eat though, thankfully. But I get these canker sores in my mouth, under my tongue right now, blech it hurts. TMI, i know.

I have 9 days before I leave. Have not even attempted packing. Need to get through quite a bit of school work (at a rate 4 times faster than normal). I have a 9 mile run today and 10 next weekend and I am spending all my time on the internet. NOT HELPFUL!!

Remember that most of the bloating is from water weight/excess salt. So it should go away quickly if you are able to avoid those bad foods this week. Then you should feel fresh and comfortable for your flight!! Italy, here we come!

Old April 21st, 2013, 03:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just one more week and IŽll be heading to Floriday.
I did not losse what I intended, however my sillouette changed so that counts on the positive side.
I will try to be as active as possible on the cruise and make healthy choices, just not all of the time.
I donŽt know how much time IŽll be able to spend online this week,
so to all of you heading for their cruise:
Enjoy your vacation.

And hopefully weŽll meet up again after.

Costa Marina - Nov 2005 - Western Med + Canary Islands, Costa Victoria - May 2007 - Eastern Med, Norwegian Gem - October 2007 - North Sea, Costa Fortuna - November 2007 Caribbean, Costa Classica - May 2008 Western Med around Spain, Costa Serena - November 2008 - Eastern Med , Costa Fortuna - Feb / March 2009 Caribbean, Voyager of the Seas - Western Med June 09, Celebrity Millenium - 2009 - 10 days Alaska Tour, Costa Marina - Feb 2011 - Western Med + Canary Islands, Voyager ots - May 2011 - Adriatic Sea Cruise, Mariner ots - Sep. 2011 - Eastern Med and Holy Land , Costa Serena - March 2012 - Western Med and Canary Islands, HAL MS Rotterdam - July 2012 - Southern Norway, Costa Mediterranea - Nov 2012 - Transatlantic, Costa Pacifica - Feb 2013 - Western Med, Celebrity Infinity - May 2013 - transatlantic - Celebrity Eclipse transatlantik nov. 2013

Old April 21st, 2013, 08:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks all for your kind welcome. I see typing too quickly on my phone didn't work well-MANY typo's!

I'm so thrilled your cruises are so close. Have a wonderful cruise! Wow, I have been to Europe but not on a cruise and not to Italy!

Enjoy every minute and post about it!!
Mary

Old April 21st, 2013, 11:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Neglected reporting weigh in this week - down 1/2 lb.

I am thinking my weight loss journey is about done, but the weight maintenance goes on. I have 3-4 lbs to get to my "goal" weight, but I realized that I actually am at my goal - fitting into my clothes reasonably well and living in a way that suits me, but does not feel constricting. I developed a pattern over the last several weeks - weigh in Friday morning, which then ends up being my "cheat" day as usually I go out to dinner with my husband or have drinks and nibbles with my girlfriends. Saturday I may have a treat as well, then back to routine healthy eating the rest of the week.

I will continue to weigh in on Fridays, because it keeps me honest

Bon Voyage to those traveling in the next two weeks - have a wonderful time in Italy or wherever your destination may be. No time for stress when you have a drink in your hand and the sea all around.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

I was actually up 1/2 pound last Friday... Seems like every time I get down to 6 or so pounds left to lose it is a roller coaster.

And...I seem to have lost track of my new Elliptical machine even though I have to practically run into it to get out of my bed...money not very well spent, unless of course I get this grand motivation to get on it...
I soooo need to!

I cruise in just over 4 weeks...

Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Great job, Alyssa. It seems like you have gotten it all sorted out in a great way!

I was doing very well but the last two weeks have been just out of whack for me. I decided to try a new "diet" of sorts, but cutting out gluten, soy, dairy, etc. I think it was just too overwhelming. I was trying to "cut out" too many things. So I've gone back to my tried and true method of watching what I eat and logging my foods and exercise in MyFitnessPal.
That doesn't mean I'm giving up on trying to rid some of those things from my diet, but I'm not going to let it consume me like I kind of did!

I have about 4 weeks until my cruise too, maybe a little less. I'm just going to try to keep this boat on course. I know I will let loose and eat (or drink!) some of those things I'm currently avoiding. But I figure that's what vacations are for. I will definitely be back on the game after the cruise. This is a lifelong thing -- not just a cruise countdown thing!

Ann
2005 - Navigator of the Seas
2006 - Rhapsody of the Seas
2008 - Adventure of the Seas
2009 - Mariner of the Seas (Pacific Reroute)
2010 - Mariner of the Seas (Mexican Riviera)
2012 - Serenade of the Seas
2013 - Oasis of the Seas
May 2014 - Jewel of the Seas
2015 - Who knows???

Old April 24th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Soup has become a friend to me... I know some folks have to watch sodium and such, but I find if I have soup with a meal it fills me up, takes longer to eat, and I linger over it a bit more. I am picky and only want good soup, though. LOL

I bought these wraps at Walmart (hate that place)...They are called Extreme Wellness and only have 35 calories (big burrito size). I smear a wedge of 35 calorie laughing cow cheese on it. Then I mix up a hard boiled egg with a pouch of tuna and roll it all up in that wrap. High protein, low calorie. Easy for the office!!!

Old April 24th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_girl View Post
Soup has become a friend to me... I know some folks have to watch sodium and such, but I find if I have soup with a meal it fills me up, takes longer to eat, and I linger over it a bit more. I am picky and only want good soup, though. LOL

I bought these wraps at Walmart (hate that place)...They are called Extreme Wellness and only have 35 calories (big burrito size). I smear a wedge of 35 calorie laughing cow cheese on it. Then I mix up a hard boiled egg with a pouch of tuna and roll it all up in that wrap. High protein, low calorie. Easy for the office!!!
Those sound great!

Charlene

Old April 25th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_girl View Post

Thats awesome, 35 calories in a big wrap!! My little high fiber ones have 50, but they are small. I need to look for those!!

What soups are you into right now??

Old April 26th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Anyone weighing in today? I stayed the same - 142.
2 pounds to reach my goal!

Charlene

Old April 26th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruises r us View Post
Anyone weighing in today? I stayed the same - 142.
2 pounds to reach my goal!

Charlene
Haven't lost weight in weeks and I've been stressed and hormonal this week, very unhelpful.

I'm still eating decent, but had to cut back some exercise because of my stupid IT band. Did pilates yesterday and i'm going to try and walk for an hour or so today. Not going to run this weekend, but I'm going to try and walk the distance (10 miles) as long as I'm feeling ok.

Going to see a physical therapist, but not until we get back from vacation. In the meantime i'll keep rolling it out and cross training...

Once we return from europe we are cutting back on the wine and really trying to get healthy, so I will still be popping in here.

Plus again I am on MFP if anyone hasn't already friended me...username agottula