Recommendations for young family (sons 3&1)

BigGooseegg

We are a young family with two boys (ages 3 and 1) and are looking for some recommendations of what to do while on our Carnival Breeze cruise this December. This is not our first time cruising with our kids, and most times in the past we have just found a beach to go to and hang out in the water, snorkel a bit, have a few drinks, etc. Wondering if there is anything like that here that is a don't miss spot?

Also, my husband mentioned the possibility of us finding an tour that drives up into the island so we can see some of the natural habitat (waterfalls, wildlife, etc). But it would have to be one that doesn't have an age minimum - since we'd be traveling with youngsters.

We are not opposed to doing something with a private tour company too -- if anyone can provide recommendations. In the past, I have found that the cruise-sponsored excursions are a little too "cattle drive" and "commercialized" for my taste.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

We stopped at Le Galion Beach 2 weeks ago and I would suggest taking a taxi to Le Galion Beach. This beach is very calm, just perfect for the little ones and it's where the locals go with their children.

The St. Martin Zoo is on the same block as this beach and would have been perfect for the little ones but as of a few days ago, Hurricane Gonzalo destroyed the petting zoo and the animal's enclosures were flooded. Thankfully, no animals were injured or hurt.

As far as a tour, we quite often do Bernard's tour but it does not normally go to Le Galion Beach, just Orient & Maho Beach and a few other stops along the way. Orient and Maho Beach can be rough at times and I would not recommend those beaches at all for your little ones.

There are plenty of taxis at the pier that will take you anywhere, also to Le Galion and possible give you a little tour along the way. If you do go to Le Galion, I would ask the taxi driver if they can come back to pick you up as we did not see any taxis waiting when we were there, but that was late afternoon and the beach was pretty empty at that time.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g2010748-d538329-Reviews-Le_Galion_Beach-Quartier_D_Orleans_Saint_Martin_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

Whatever you do, enjoy your day in St. Maarten :)

We are a young family with two boys (ages 3 and 1) and are looking for some recommendations of what to do while on our Carnival Breeze cruise this December. This is not our first time cruising with our kids, and most times in the past we have just found a beach to go to and hang out in the water, snorkel a bit, have a few drinks, etc. Wondering if there is anything like that here that is a don't miss spot?

Also, my husband mentioned the possibility of us finding an tour that drives up into the island so we can see some of the natural habitat (waterfalls, wildlife, etc). But it would have to be one that doesn't have an age minimum - since we'd be traveling with youngsters.

We are not opposed to doing something with a private tour company too -- if anyone can provide recommendations. In the past, I have found that the cruise-sponsored excursions are a little too "cattle drive" and "commercialized" for my taste.

Personally with a 1 and 3 year old I would skip an island tour of St. Maarten. I have never seen a waterfall and as for wildlife I think that you should consider touring St. Maarten Park which is a zoo. The Butterfly Farm and Le Galion beach would also make for a lovely day with children 1 and 3. The Butterfly Farm and LeGalion are a five minute walk from each other.

We stopped at Le Galion Beach 2 weeks ago and I would suggest taking a taxi to Le Galion Beach. This beach is very calm, just perfect for the little ones and it's where the locals go with their children.

The St. Martin Zoo is on the same block as this beach and would have been perfect for the little ones but as of a few days ago, Hurricane Gonzalo destroyed the petting zoo and the animal's enclosures were flooded. Thankfully, no animals were injured or hurt.

As far as a tour, we quite often do Bernard's tour but it does not normally go to Le Galion Beach, just Orient & Maho Beach and a few other stops along the way. Orient and Maho Beach can be rough at times and I would not recommend those beaches at all for your little ones.

There are plenty of taxis at the pier that will take you anywhere, also to Le Galion and possible give you a little tour along the way. If you do go to Le Galion, I would ask the taxi driver if they can come back to pick you up as we did not see any taxis waiting when we were there, but that was late afternoon and the beach was pretty empty at that time.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g2010748-d538329-Reviews-Le_Galion_Beach-Quartier_D_Orleans_Saint_Martin_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

Whatever you do, enjoy your day in St. Maarten :)

The Butterfly Farm is a 5 minute walk from LeGalion Beach. The zoo is in Philipsburg and is not within walking distance of those places.

The Butterfly Farm is a 5 minute walk from LeGalion Beach. The zoo is in Philipsburg and is not within walking distance of those places.

I'm sorry, I thought we saw the zoo on the same road near Le Galion, my mistake then.

Can you tell me, when you are driving to Le Galion and you make the turn to go down to the beach, on that same road, is the Butterfly farm the first thing you see on your right hand side, correct? Thanks :)

I'm sorry, I thought we saw the zoo on the same road near Le Galion, my mistake then.

Can you tell me, when you are driving to Le Galion and you make the turn to go down to the beach, on that same road, is the Butterfly farm the first thing you see on your right hand side, correct? Thanks :)

I can't remember if the horse riding farm or the butterfly farm is first but they are on the road to LeGalion.

I can't remember if the horse riding farm or the butterfly farm is first but they are on the road to LeGalion.

I remember seeing three things on the road to Le Galion beach, The obedience school for the dogs, Bayside Riding Club and the third must have been the Butterfly Farm. I might have gotten confused with the hurricane destroying the Zoo.

I wrote a review of our trip on this forum 2 weeks ago, can't find it or the thread, hopefully I didn't indicate I saw the Zoo on the road to Le Galion.

Thanks for the clarification :)

We did Bernard's in 2013 when my son was 1 1/2 and it was nice having the comfort of a/c in the bus, but there wasn't really anything interesting for a 1 or 3 year old to do. The most we saw of wildlife was a half built iguana farm with some very sad looking monkeys in a small cage.

They also took us to Orient Beach and I didn't enjoy that either because of all the nudists we saw. Then, we went to Maho which my son enjoyed because of the planes, but I do have to agree that the water is rough for a baby and toddler.

I have never been to Le Galion, but reading everyone's posts about it then maybe that would be the best place to have a relaxing beach day. But, maybe a least stop by Maho because I am sure your 3 year old will enjoy the seeing the planes!

Just make sure Le Gallion is "open" on the day you go.. We went one year in May & it was just filled with school children..Nothing was open..no bathrooms or food. Just make sure before you are let out by the taxi driver.. The water is very calm & shallow for small children.. Also, a lot of sea grass which I didn't like..

Just make sure Le Gallion is "open" on the day you go.. We went one year in May & it was just filled with school children..Nothing was open..no bathrooms or food. Just make sure before you are let out by the taxi driver.. The water is very calm & shallow for small children.. Also, a lot of sea grass which I didn't like..

Since you are the only poster that has reported going to LeGalion only to find it "closed" I think that it is very safe to say that this is a one off. It can get busy in the afternoons in the summer and also on weekends because the islanders do love and visit this beach often.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations! This is very helpful!

I have a question about traveling around the island. I know a couple of posters mentioned taxis. Just wondering how easy it is to snag one? I imagine it is pretty easy to get one from the port where the ship docks, but what about getting back to the ship from LeGalion? Or if we decide to go to Maho for a quick stop to let my son see the planes on our way back from LeGalion to the ship -- would this be easy to do?

Also, what type of currency is used on the island? Will our US dollars work or will we have to exchange for something else?

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...
Just checked the website-between May and December the facilities are closed on Monday. We went to Le Galion last summer and loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you share that website for Le Galion? I cannot find it. Thanks!