Car Rental in Dec 16 for the day

cessnabmw

Hello!

This will be our first cruise and first time in St. Maarten.

Been doing a lot of reading and all and see that many use Bernard for tours.

Also see that some take the bus or rent a car.

We are leaning towards renting a car (2 adults and 2 kids aged 8 and 9). We have driven in a lot of countries and feel that maybe it will be better.

We will be there Dec 16 from 9am - 6pm.

Thinking of doing this route and hence driving the around the whole island!

Philipsburg--> Border --> Oyster Pond --> Orient Beach --> Marigot --> Sarafina --> Mullet Bay --> Maho Beach -->Simpson Bay --> Philipsburg

Any suggestion on what is a must see?

Is this doable?

Suggestions on rental? Sites to rent from?

Thanks!!

Hello!

We are leaning towards renting a car (2 adults and 2 kids aged 8 and 9). We have driven in a lot of countries and feel that maybe it will be better.

Philipsburg--> Border --> Oyster Pond --> Orient Beach --> Marigot --> Sarafina --> Mullet Bay --> Maho Beach -->Simpson Bay --> Philipsburg

Is this doable?

Thanks!!

Certainly doable - but on the route you outline you will hit very heavy afternoon traffic from Simpson Bay to Phillipsburg - better to go around the other way so you would be heading down the east side of the island in the afternoon - possibly making your last stop at Dawn Beach - by Oyster Pond , or just come down from Orient.

Certainly doable - but on the route you outline you will hit very heavy afternoon traffic from Simpson Bay to Phillipsburg - better to go around the other way so you would be heading down the east side of the island in the afternoon - possibly making your last stop at Dawn Beach - by Oyster Pond , or just come down from Orient.

Awesome!! Thanks so much for the tip!

We've used Coastal Car Rental many times. They are conveniently located right at the pier. The offer a GPS for only $5. It will have all your sights preprogrammed. It's very easy to drive in St. Marteen. You can have a great day driving on your own. Coastal has nice vehicles and they are very friendly. They have you on your way in no time.

• 1 month later...
Hi.. How much did you pay for the rental with Coastal? I contacted them and they quoted $98 for the day whereas I see rates of $50 with Avis or Hertz.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

Avis should be in the neighborhood of $50-$60 for the day - we rent for two weeks every year and find that Hertz is always more expensive than Avis. Also, we have signed up with American Express for their full insurance coverage - a flat $24 per rental - good essentially everywhere. It might be more than one day's coverage at Avis, but is good to have automatic coverage - and certainly a savings if renting for more than one day.

Hello!

Is this doable?

Thanks!!

I would head straight to Marigot, then Mullet and then Maho and head to Orient and then to Philipsburg.

My reasoning is to get to Marigot before it gets busy and you also want to be at Maho between 12-2 to see the biggest jets land. It's also best to be close to the port at the end of the day so that is why I would save Philipsburg for last. If you have time after Orient and before Philipsburg then hit Oyster Pond but if not then just skip that.

The must sees to me are the fort in Marigot for the views and Maho for the planes. Honestly you will fill a whole day with just Marigot, Mullet, Maho and Phillipsburg going all the way to Orient would be too much for me in one day.

If you pick up the car at 9:30 and get to Marigot by 10 and spend 90minutes and the 30 minutes to get to Mullet its 1200 noon already. 45 minutes at Mullet and then over to Maho makes it about 1:00 when you get to Maho which is a good time to be there usually. So if you leave there at 2 and arrive at Orient at 2:45 you can stay there until 3:30 and you will be in Phillipsburg around 4. Finding parking is not easy so let's say 15 minutes to park and walk to Front Street. It will be 4:15 and you would have about 30 minutes there and by the time you walk to your car it's 5 pm. You then drive about 5 minutes to turn the car in and will have just enough time to make I to the ship for all aboard time which will likely be 5:30.

Of course these are all estimates and you never said how long you wanted to stay at the beaches but I hope that it helps.

If you pick up the car first and head to Maho you will likely be there around 10:15 which is too early IMHO to see the big jets land. If that is not a priority to you then by all means head there first as that makes a lot of sense as your route will be more of a circle and you end up on the east side of the island in the later afternoon which has less traffic congestion concerns.

Hi.. How much did you pay for the rental with Coastal? I contacted them and they quoted $98 for the day whereas I see rates of $50 with Avis or Hertz.

We paid $94 I believe the last 3 times from Hertz in the winter months for a small car at the pier for the day. We pay $150 for a small car for the week from Tripple A near the airport in the summer.

We paid $94 I believe the last 3 times from Hertz in the winter months for a small car at the pier for the day. We pay $150 for a small car for the week from Tripple A near the airport in the summer.

Is that $94 for the day?

I would head straight to Marigot, then Mullet and then Maho and head to Orient and then to Philipsburg.

My reasoning is to get to Marigot before it gets busy and you also want to be at Maho between 12-2 to see the biggest jets land. It's also best to be close to the port at the end of the day so that is why I would save Philipsburg for last. If you have time after Orient and before Philipsburg then hit Oyster Pond but if not then just skip that.

The must sees to me are the fort in Marigot for the views and Maho for the planes. Honestly you will fill a whole day with just Marigot, Mullet, Maho and Phillipsburg going all the way to Orient would be too much for me in one day.

If you pick up the car at 9:30 and get to Marigot by 10 and spend 90minutes and the 30 minutes to get to Mullet its 1200 noon already. 45 minutes at Mullet and then over to Maho makes it about 1:00 when you get to Maho which is a good time to be there usually. So if you leave there at 2 and arrive at Orient at 2:45 you can stay there until 3:30 and you will be in Phillipsburg around 4. Finding parking is not easy so let's say 15 minutes to park and walk to Front Street. It will be 4:15 and you would have about 30 minutes there and by the time you walk to your car it's 5 pm. You then drive about 5 minutes to turn the car in and will have just enough time to make I to the ship for all aboard time which will likely be 5:30.

Of course these are all estimates and you never said how long you wanted to stay at the beaches but I hope that it helps.

If you pick up the car first and head to Maho you will likely be there around 10:15 which is too early IMHO to see the big jets land. If that is not a priority to you then by all means head there first as that makes a lot of sense as your route will be more of a circle and you end up on the east side of the island in the later afternoon which has less traffic congestion concerns.

Awesome!! Thank you so much for the help! Will we need a map? Would the car rental company have one?

Has anyone rented with Dollar in St. Maarten?

I see a rate of $50 all in and they apparently have a shuttle to pick you up from the port to get the car.

Are there any rentals at the port to make it easier?

Need to finalize this rental booking asap :(

I see a rate of $50 all in and they apparently have a shuttle to pick you up from the port to get the car.

I had issues with Arthur's as they were a no show but we have had absolutely no issues with Hertz and rented from them on 3 occasions now. Arthur's is just outside and across the street from the pier area and Hertz was at the pier area.

Edited by Karysa

I can't list them all, but I can save you lots of time. Just reserve with Coastal. We have used them at least 10 times. Very nice cars, friendly service and they have you on your way in no time. GPS with all the beaches and sights preprogrammed is only $5 extra. Our total for December for a Hyundai Elantra is $75 for the day - that includes all taxes, fees, and a GPS.

They are very convenient right at the pier. Our port time is precious - we choose not to shuttle back and for to airports. They always have our vehicle waiting - great company!

I can't list them all, but I can save you lots of time. Just reserve with Coastal. We have used them at least 10 times. Very nice cars, friendly service and they have you on your way in no time. GPS with all the beaches and sights preprogrammed is only $5 extra. Our total for December for a Hyundai Elantra is $75 for the day - that includes all taxes, fees, and a GPS.

They are very convenient right at the pier. Our port time is precious - we choose not to shuttle back and for to airports. They always have our vehicle waiting - great company!

Thanks! I think we will just do that :)

The rate on their site including the GPS is $75 for the day we are there. Now just to finalize exactly where will drive, what we will see and do that day!

So excited!!!

We have picked our cars up at the lot across from the pier the 3 times we rented from Hertz. Which company's shuttle you to the airport? This would be good info to have. There may actually be people who would prefer to pick their cars up near the airport thus avoiding driving through Philipsburg and the Simpson Bay Area on their own? Thanks for any info that you can provide.

I think Dollar shuttles you to the airport. Avis, Hertz and Coastal are all right near the pier. My experience is that Avis is generally less expensive than Hertz I am not familiar with Coastal, but have heard good reports.

Ace, Avis, and Payless are three. I'm sure a google search would find more. We have never had a problem renting right at the pier. Traffic is only slow for a short distance.

So these places have booths at the pier and shuttle their passengers?