Imagination Cell phone use

Rellyrooly

What do you do when you want to use your cell phone while on Imagination? Do you put the global plan on your phone for those days with your wireless carrier? I am a Verizon Customer and was advised by Verizon that new Global plans are being released on March 5th and it will be $40 for 100mb of data, 100mb of voice and text. That seems steep since this is only a 3 day cruise. What route do you take when on board? TIA

Personally, I don't do anything with my cell other than turn it off and leave it in the safe for a 3 day cruise!!!

There IS free wifi at Starbucks in Ensenada if you are desperate and MUST get online, but other than that, leave it in the safe!!! Your global plan will NOT work on board the ship-- you have to connect via Cellular at Sea, and it's expensive!!!

So we must connect to the ship if we are on it? That changes everything. Unfortunately, we are business owners that need to be in constant contact with work while we are gone so leaving it in the safe is not an option, although sometimes I wish it was! lol

So we must connect to the ship if we are on it? That changes everything. Unfortunately, we are business owners that need to be in constant contact with work while we are gone so leaving it in the safe is not an option, although sometimes I wish it was! lol

Yes-- if you are using your phone, you WILL connect through cellular at sea. There are no other cell towers in the ocean, go figure.

If you get the global plan through your carrier, sign up for it just before your trip, and then cancel as soon as you get home. That way, it should be prorated for just the days you used it, and you won't have to pay for a full month..

We've sailed the Ensenada cruise too many times to count.

DH is a sole practitioner. He calls from the cabin if need be. $1.99/minute. If he needs the Internet he'll buy some time onboard.

There are several restaurants & coffee places in Ensenada that have wifi available.

Edited by SadieN

HAS WI FI right in port. Just walk into the Vendor building and go to the left side and you will find a snack place that charges just $5.00. I was on a Princess ship recently and used their computer for just $5.00.

Some people said that McDonald also have wi fi in Ensenada.

1) Turn OFF data roaming. Period. If you need internet, there are better options than $20 per megabyte.

2) I left voice/text roaming on (but never used it). Calls are $2.49 per minute (send or receive) on Verizon, and you only pay if you make a call or answer the phone. If making a call, call from your cabin -- it's cheaper (slightly)

3) When I went on my cruise (I just got back today), I told my co-workers that needed to know the best (and cheapest) way to reach me is by text message. 5 cents to receive - 50 cents to send.

4) If you think you will need to make calls, make sure you activate global roaming (but don't join their plan) BEFORE you leave, or you won't be able to make any calls from your phone.

5) Don't forget, in Mexico, rates are cheaper. Calls are just 99 cents per minute. Data is $5.12 per megabyte, which is better, but can add up QUICK. That being said, text message rates are actually higher: Received messages are 25 cents each (Sent is still 50 cents).

Have a great cruise (if it hasn't already happened)!

• 2 months later...

So if I leave my text roaming on while I am onboard the Imagination this weekend - will I be able to receive texts from California? Even if we are in Mexico? Or do I NEED the Global plan from my cell phone carrier? ( I have Verizon)

Thanks in advance for the help!

We turn our phones off when we pull out of Long Beach, back on when we drop anchor in Catalina, back off until we get to the taco restaurant (El Corralito) in Ensenada in airplane mode for wifi only. Then back off until we get back. I'm a manager at a very small business and my boss (the owner) and I are in pretty much constant contact. Being incommunicado for 1 day seemed ok.

What do you do when you want to use your cell phone while on Imagination? Do you put the global plan on your phone for those days with your wireless carrier? I am a Verizon Customer and was advised by Verizon that new Global plans are being released on March 5th and it will be $40 for 100mb of data, 100mb of voice and text. That seems steep since this is only a 3 day cruise. What route do you take when on board? TIA

LOL :eek: - there are no cell towers in the oceans, so this is not an option while cruising. The ports, as you have been advised, are another matter.

"constant communication" seems a bit over the top.:confused:

So if I leave my text roaming on while I am onboard the Imagination this weekend - will I be able to receive texts from California? Even if we are in Mexico? Or do I NEED the Global plan from my cell phone carrier? ( I have Verizon)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Turn off all roaming. Do not put your phone in airplane mode. You will still be able to send and recieve texts. You won't be able to use data so no pictures, documents etc. You don't need the global plan.

• 5 months later...
My boyfriend and I are leaving the kids at home. What is the best way for the kids/ex's to reach us if there is a problem? Is there a phone number associated with the cabin in room phone?

"Shore-to-Ship Communication – Emergency Contact Number

We do not offer a direct dialing service to our ships.

The following number is to be used as an emergency contact number for family members not traveling with our guests. In the event of a true emergency, family may contact our call center at 1-800-227-6482 on a 24/7 basis.

Our team will take down the caller's name and contact information and pass it on to our Guest Services team onboard."

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139

I don't know which internet plans are available on that ship, BUT....

If you buy one of the premium plans, you can always use an app on your phone for Wifi calling, and texts.. I use Nextplus, the calls are a few cents a minute, and texts are free (provided that you have an unlimited data pkg. on the ship)... You would have a different #, which is assigned by them (nextplus)

This works out really well on RCC by the way (Oasis), not sure about Carnival, but, it should...

I know that in the all of the Caribbean and Bahamas, and Mexico my calls on Tmobile are .20/min, and data is free in pretty much any country north of the Equator...