London Hotels

MSMcDuffy

Hi,

I cannot find anything re: hotels in London on these boards, only hotels in N America so if I'm missing it, please direct me to the correct area.

We're looking for pre-cruise hotels in London for this summer (2 or 3 nights) before our embarkation from Southampton. We prefer nothing too fancy/pricey, just clean, comfortable and in a decent location.

Can anyone recommend any good websites? What is the best location in London to be closest to the action and in a safe area? If we could avoid taking trains/subways/buses to be able to walk to points of interest we would pay a little more. Is London walkable or should we count on needing transportation (besides to the port)?

Thank you for any info you can provide!

Kathy

Kathy,

Try the LondonTown.com website. It has lots of info on hotels, sightseeing and whats on. It also tells you a little bit about the area that the hotel is situated in. London covers such a vast area it is difficult to find one place that will allow you to visit a lot of the sights without using buses, tubes etc. I worked in the centre of London for 35 years and still use this website! Have a wonderful stay.

Hi, MsMcD....if you go back to the index page, and down 2 lines, you'll find the "Ports of Call" page. Go to the Europe one, then press the button for the British Isles. This is full of information about hotels in London, and travel advice. There's a search button at the top, so if you put in London hotels, you'll come up with dozens of answers from both UK dwellers, and visitors who can recommend places.

This site is mainly for UK members to chat about cruising....though you're very welcome! :)

Jo.

Can anyone recommend any good websites? What is the best location in London to be closest to the action and in a safe area? If we could avoid taking trains/subways/buses to be able to walk to points of interest we would pay a little more. Is London walkable or should we count on needing transportation (besides to the port)?

Thank you for any info you can provide!

Kathy

The tubes are fantastic for getting from one part of town to another. If you are close to a tube station, in a way you *are* close to everything! I only had a 3 day stay in London so don't know much, but maybe my newbie tourist experience will be of use to you. I stayed near Victoria Station, it is where we got off from the train that brought us from Dover, after our cruise. We were at the Park Place Victoria. I thought it was a great location. Many of London's attractions are there, restaurants, theaters etc. We bought oyster cards, you load them with $ and it gives you a discount off the tube fares (maybe buses or trains too? It's complicated so don't want to overstate. It isn't good for HOHO bus). If you want to, at the end of your stay you can go to a booth and get all funds back off your card that you didn't use. Can't beat that!

I would look into which attractions you wish to visit and then find a hotel that's central and fits your budget.

When we stay in London we usually pick one of the Hilton Hotels as often they have special offers of up to 50% off.

We have also stayed on one occassion at an easy hotel which is extremely cheap but is just a small room with space for a bed and with shower. They are very clean but I wouldn't want to stay for more than 2 nights or in summer as there is no air conditioning.

Don't be afraid to use the tubes,you will get to see so much more with the time saved.

The oyster card is a pre-paid travel card but you can buy day travel tickets and tickets valid for 3 days if you wish.

If you need any help planning a journey don't hesitate to ask.

Archived