ChoiceAir - Onboard Credit??!

jeremybe

Hi-

I just received an email from a travel agency stating that if you book your own airfare on a cruise which offers choice air, you will receive an OBC for whatever the ChoiceAir promo was for your cruise - Is this true??? I thought Choice Air had to be booked with Azamara and if you booked your own (Or used Frequent Flyer) Airfare Azamara was basically taking the money and you lose the benefit

Has this changed? Also - Can you use Choice Air just for 1 way?? So Frequent flyer one way, CHoice Air the other?

My final payment is due in a few days and was wondering..

Thanks Again!

Hi-

I just received an email from a travel agency stating that if you book your own airfare on a cruise which offers choice air, you will receive an OBC for whatever the ChoiceAir promo was for your cruise - Is this true??? I thought Choice Air had to be booked with Azamara and if you booked your own (Or used Frequent Flyer) Airfare Azamara was basically taking the money and you lose the benefit

Has this changed? Also - Can you use Choice Air just for 1 way?? So Frequent flyer one way, CHoice Air the other?

Thanks Again!

Hi Jeremybe,

From past Azamara promotions, what you describe isn't very likely. However, the TA could be offering something from their commissions. I think the only way of knowing, is to contact the TA. None of us are going to have an answer to a specific TA promotion.

Good Luck !

Hi-

Thanks Again!

This sounds like a specific TA promo and not from Azamara.

However, I wanted to comment that you can book Choice Air one way. We did so for our next cruise on Celebrity. Someone here posted that when they booked Choice Air one way on Azamara they only received 50% of the discount on their cruise fare, which was $250.00 instead of $500.00. I think Azamara still has some issues to work out with this promotion, which does not take into account transatlantics for those who only need one way airfare, those who live in or near the embarkation/disembarkation port such as Miami and do not need airfare, or those who do not live in a city where Choice Air is offered (we met someone from Vermont who could not use the Choice Air promo and so had to pay an additional $500.00 since they could not get the $500.00 discount - best example of someone who needed to fly but could not take advantage of the promo.)

However, I wanted to comment that you can book Choice Air one way. We did so for our next cruise on Celebrity. Someone here posted that when they booked Choice Air one way on Azamara they only received 50% of the discount on their cruise fare, which was $250.00 instead of $500.00. I think Azamara still has some issues to work out with this promotion, which does not take into account transatlantics for those who only need one way airfare, those who live in or near the embarkation/disembarkation port such as Miami and do not need airfare, or those who do not live in a city where Choice Air is offered (we met someone from Vermont who could not use the Choice Air promo and so had to pay an additional $500.00 since they could not get the $500.00 discount - best example of someone who needed to fly but could not take advantage of the promo.)

I agree with you. We live near Miami in the winter and would not need air for an island cruise. This is the main type of cruises that we take. So until Azamara works this out we will not sailed or booked on them again. We have been on Azamara two times and loved it.

I was on the now-canceled November transatlantic on the Quest. When I booked my one-way airfare, I got the $500 credit.

So, is my understanding correct that all these promos and credit for choice air are useless if you don't need air? There's no way to convert the credit to something you could use?

That is correct unless/until Azamara makes a change. They won't budge. I know this because we booked an Azamara cruise while on Celebrity and had never heard of nor were told about the promotion, even though the code was on our reservation which was a direct booking. At the time Choice Air on Azamara's web site was not even working and one would have had to have known to go to the Celebrity site, enter the Azamara code to book one's air. We went ahead and booked our own air, later found out about the promo and could only cancel and rebook our one air that was with FFmiles. The other was non-refundable. So, we were out the $500.00 discount on one of our fares. We tried to reason with "Miami" and even suggested 50% in OBC but they just said we had the option to book air through them (Note 50% OBC was $250.00 so maybe would have cost AZ $125.00 and would have been kept in-house).

That is correct unless/until Azamara makes a change. They won't budge. I know this because we booked an Azamara cruise while on Celebrity and had never heard of nor were told about the promotion, even though the code was on our reservation which was a direct booking. At the time Choice Air on Azamara's web site was not even working and one would have had to have known to go to the Celebrity site, enter the Azamara code to book one's air. We went ahead and booked our own air, later found out about the promo and could only cancel and rebook our one air that was with FFmiles. The other was non-refundable. So, we were out the $500.00 discount on one of our fares. We tried to reason with "Miami" and even suggested 50% in OBC but they just said we had the option to book air through them (Note 50% OBC was $250.00 so maybe would have cost AZ $125.00 and would have been kept in-house).

That's too bad. They have a cruise we'd be really interested in but we have our air already. Oh well, lots of other cruise lines out there.

That's too bad. They have a cruise we'd be really interested in but we have our air already. Oh well, lots of other cruise lines out there.
Will those other cruise lines give you an OBC because you have your air already?

Will those other cruise lines give you an OBC because you have your air already?

Yes, because all the other lines are offering sales either off the price or OBC, it seems to be only Azamara that has their sales tied to air.

After 9 Azamara cruises, we called our travel agent to book cruises 10 and 11. These were to be a back-to-back and each offered a Choice Air credit. Azamara told our travel agent that since only one round trip flight would be involved, we would not get any credit for the second Choice Air credit amount. She said that Azamara felt that the back-to-back credit was more than enough.

We felt otherwise and booked a different cruise line.

I think Azamara needs to rethink this.

"Sales off the price" are meaningless. What matters is "the price."

LOL, well apparently they're not meaningless to a lot of us. Hope they're sailing full and don't need our $$$$, otherwise, they might want to rethink that sales strategy with how many people use FF points or can drive to a port.

We have also used our Choice Air credit for one way air fare and miles for the other way. We were told by our TA that Azamara said we'd only get half of the choice air credit ($500 per couple), but so far our invoice shows a $1000 per couple credit. Not sure which was an error - what we were told or what our balance due shows.

I have booked my first Azamara cruise for 2013. How do I find out if this cruise has "Choice Air credit." It is way too early to book air and I usually use miles but I would like to understand how this works in case I decide to purchase airfare.

LOL, well apparently they're not meaningless to a lot of us. Hope they're sailing full and don't need our $$$$, otherwise, they might want to rethink that sales strategy with how many people use FF points or can drive to a port.

Seems to me that the Choice Air credit is predicated upon using Choice Air in addition to booking the cruise. If you go into an electronics store that offers $100 off if you buy both a television and a DVD player, you wouldn't expect the $100 if you bought just the TV, would you?

Seems to me that the Choice Air credit is predicated upon using Choice Air in addition to booking the cruise. If you go into an electronics store that offers $100 off if you buy both a television and a DVD player, you wouldn't expect the $100 if you bought just the TV, would you?

It still cost me money to get to the pier if I drive. Gas, tolls and parking.

About the electronics store, I would bring my money to another store. I did that three times this year. I booked my cruises with another line.

It still cost me money to get to the pier if I drive. Gas, tolls and parking.

About the electronics store, I would bring my money to another store. I did that three times this year. I booked my cruises with another line.

But if you don't pay them for the Choice Air how can you possibly expect them to give you a discount? Azamara gives you several hundred dollars off each cruise if you book a back-to-back. If you booked just one would you expect to get the back-to-back discount?

I'm sorry but it is simply unreasonable to expect a discount when you aren't making the complete purchase. The discount is for booking the cruise AND Choice Air, not for booking the cruise alone. The cruise line makes money from both pieces of that sale, and can't give the discount if you buy only one of the two pieces. It's like going to a buy-one-get-a-second-at-half-price sale and saying you only want the half-priced one. Ain't gonna happen...and shouldn't.

But if you don't pay them for the Choice Air how can you possibly expect them to give you a discount? Azamara gives you several hundred dollars off each cruise if you book a back-to-back. If you booked just one would you expect to get the back-to-back discount?

I'm sorry but it is simply unreasonable to expect a discount when you aren't making the complete purchase. The discount is for booking the cruise AND Choice Air, not for booking the cruise alone. The cruise line makes money from both pieces of that sale, and can't give the discount if you buy only one of the two pieces. It's like going to a buy-one-get-a-second-at-half-price sale and saying you only want the half-priced one. Ain't gonna happen...and shouldn't.

The cruise line makes a $25.00 per person (agent) fee if you book the air through them. It is in most cases the identical air and flights you can book directly through the airlines. You are just using their booking tool verses someone elses. Azamara doesn't own the airline. They are not American, US Airways, SWISS , Lufthansa, British Airways, All Nipon to name a few. They than take the discount off of your cruise fare (not off of the airfare). There may be exceptions but what they are making is the $25.00 Choice Air booking fee, not a percentage of the airfare (I don't think most airlines pay agents anymore - maybe someone else can comment). This is just a way to discount the cruisefare by calling it something else, but it is back firing for those who do not need air or who do not live in a city where Choice Air us available.

Your example does not take into account that Choice Air is not available from all US cities.

The btb discount plus Choice Air x 2 (for 2 cruises btb) is more than Azamara wants to discount the cruise, but does not explain why it appears in some cases the btb discount is less than the Choice Air Discount. I know it depends on length but if a btb cruiser gets $200.00 off each cruise that is $800.00 per cabin on the two legs BUT the Choice Air discount would have been $500.00 per person or $1,000.00 off of the Cruise fare on the second leg (longer cruise), so maybe a btb cruiser should be questioning that discrepancy and/or given the option of one discount or the other.

I just want the same deal. Pay for me to get to the port. Like I said before it cost me to get there too!.

So far in the past 12 months I have brought my money to a different line and had a great time too!

So, if Azamara changes, I will be back. If not, there are plenty of other ships in the sea.

I just want the same deal. Pay for me to get to the port. Like I said before it cost me to get there too!.

So far in the past 12 months I have brought my money to a different line and had a great time too!

So, if Azamara changes, I will be back. If not, there are plenty of other ships in the sea.

Not clear to me why a cruise line should "pay for you to get to the port." They've offered a discount if you purchase cruise and air through them, not just cruise. What cruise line "pays for you to drive to the port."

Some cruise lines offer discounts for active military or other groups. I don't complain just because I don't qualify.

And, jade13, whether the $500 comes off cruise fare or airfare is immaterial. It's the same $500. And I'm not convinced the cruise line makes only $25 when booking air. Whether ChoiceAir includes all cities is irrelevant. The promotion requires both purchases. If a grocery gives you free bread when buying bacon and eggs you don't get the bread unless you buy both the bacon and the eggs. If you don't eat bacon it's not the grocery store's problem.

Look at it rationally: If the cruise line isn't getting something of value to them by booking air, why would they insist on bundling air with cruise in their $500 promotion? They're not in the giveaway business.

Not clear to me why a cruise line should "pay for you to get to the port." They've offered a discount if you purchase cruise and air through them, not just cruise. What cruise line "pays for you to drive to the port."

Some cruise lines offer discounts for active military or other groups. I don't complain just because I don't qualify.

And, jade13, whether the $500 comes off cruise fare or airfare is immaterial. It's the same $500. And I'm not convinced the cruise line makes only $25 when booking air. Whether ChoiceAir includes all cities is irrelevant. The promotion requires both purchases. If a grocery gives you free bread when buying bacon and eggs you don't get the bread unless you buy both the bacon and the eggs. If you don't eat bacon it's not the grocery store's problem.

Look at it rationally: If the cruise line isn't getting something of value to them by booking air, why would they insist on bundling air with cruise in their $500 promotion? They're not in the giveaway business.

Azamara should help me get to the cruise ship because they are helping others get there too. They are bundling air with cruise to sell the cruise.

Like I said before, another cruise line is now getting our money.

I have enjoyed your point of view. So for me, I am done with this debate.

Enjoy your cruise with Azamara.

Azamara should help me get to the cruise ship because they are helping others get there too. They are bundling air with cruise to sell the cruise.

Like I said before, another cruise line is now getting our money.

I have enjoyed your point of view. So for me, I am done with this debate.

Enjoy your cruise with Azamara.

Us too, I booked Celebrity instead today which had no airfare bundling, just sale prices.

Archived