close to the port??

Momma Mojito

Thanks, Did you take the ride and if you did was it worth the time?

No, we didn't. We took the ship's excursion to the "Resort Getaway at Monterrico" which we really enjoyed.

Our friends we met on the ship (were together for 20 days and still keep in touch) took a private taxi to Antigua who stayed with them so they wouldn't be stuck there all day and could do what they pleased. They seemed to think it was a worthwhile thing to do just to have seen some of Guatemala.

No, we didn't. We took the ship's excursion to the "Resort Getaway at Monterrico" which we really enjoyed.

Our friends we met on the ship (were together for 20 days and still keep in touch) took a private taxi to Antigua who stayed with them so they wouldn't be stuck there all day and could do what they pleased. They seemed to think it was a worthwhile thing to do just to have seen some of Guatemala.

Hi!

Any idea how much your friends paid for the taxi - our ship is charging around $40pp for a "self guided" tour of Antigua.

Anyone know if the ships provide shuttle buses to Antigua as an alternative, or would this be considered the same as "self guided"?

Thanks!

Hi!

Anyone know if the ships provide shuttle buses to Antigua as an alternative, or would this be considered the same as "self guided"?

Thanks!

Yes that is the "explore Antigua on your own". I took the Antigua & Casa Santo Dominga tour on our panama cruise which included a nice buffet lunch. I don't regret it but I would take the suggestions of some on this board and pay for the "explore Antigua on your own" and take a local guide at the drop-off spot. BTW, The "Jade Museam" is just shopping infomercial.

Our bus was late so I was glad I took the ships excursion.

I took the Antigua trip from the ship, and it was the BEST side trip. You really got to see how the people lived as you took that long bus ride. Our guide was a Professor at the University, and she was an archeologist. It was so interesting, beautiful and made me grateful for my life. The people I met in Antigua were open and welcoming. I met a young girl selling things that took me under her wing and directed me to places I might want to visit and where to eat. She deflected the other young vendors and told me which ones to buy from if I wanted certain things (those offered me great prices and good quality). I bought a few things from her an tried to give her extra money for giving me the tour, she was honest and said it was too much ($20), also the twenty had a little rip and she said the bank would just take it from her. So I went to the bank and got a $20 bill (had to use my passport to do it) and gave it to her. So she gave me a skirt and wouldn't take no for an answer. I offered to send her money to help her stay in school because I was so impressed by this 9 year old. She asked it I saw the village in the mud on the way in, I told her I did and she said that is where she lives. The "homes" were pieces of metal, cardboard, and old wood fashioned into a shack. She goes to school, then sells the items her family makes. She said she could not receive mail there and if I sent money any other place it would be taken. Then said she was just happy to practice her English. I met an American woman who was also a retired teacher, she lives there now and she had adopted two girls who had lost their parents. It was absolutely one of the most memorable days of my life (besides those with my family).

There was a big storm on the way back and we were an hour late getting back to the ship, they had waited for us because it was a ships tour, but a few private small busses and cars pulled in at the same time. We were told they would have left those other people if the ships busses where not also delayed.

So I say be adventurous.

Poolreader,

Thank you so much for sharing your day in Antiqua.

I have been to Guatemala twice with our church group and have met many families who taugth me what true hospitality is.

I look forward to the bus ride and seeing some of this part of the country. I will do the ship tour that is Antiqua on your own.

It is a good point about not bringing any US bills that have any rips on the bill.

I can order Quetzales from my bank(Wells Fargo) here at home. i plan to take the local currency. I do know that they will also take UDS too.

What was the favorite sights for you in antiqua that day?

Hi!

Any idea how much your friends paid for the taxi - our ship is charging around $40pp for a "self guided" tour of Antigua.

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you ... but I had to wait until our frineds returned our email.

Told me it was about $38 for both of them (couldn't exactly remember). They gave him $10 extra for lunch and then paid him another $50 when they returned. He told them it was too much. Sort of funny because they thought it was too little. Bottom Line: He was happy. They were happy. :)

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you ... but I had to wait until our frineds returned our email.

Told me it was about $38 for both of them (couldn't exactly remember). They gave him $10 extra for lunch and then paid him another $50 when they returned. He told them it was too much. Sort of funny because they thought it was too little. Bottom Line: He was happy. They were happy. :)

Thanks OCruisers!

That's great to get some sort of guideline.

It's funny how we all haggle for the best price and most times end up giving them big tips and pretty much the first price they said or more. But of course that depends if you're happy and we've found that the local taxi's at many ports work out well (only place we've had some minor upsets was in Mumbai, but that all turned out OK in the end).

Cheers!

Archived