Pools and other questions- veendam

Shih-tzu

Is there certain hours that the pools and hot tubs are open or closed? I notice some pictures where there are nets over the pools although I can't tell the time of day (but was daylight). It's predicted to be 23*C in Boston next Saturday, so will they have the roof open over the pool for sailway?

I read somewhere on here (and can't find it now) where someone indicated that the pilot boards the ship at about 10:30 near St Georges to take her into Hamilton.... so I would take from that if we are out on the decks around 10:00 that we should be able to see Bermuda?? (I believe the person that posted this is from Bermuda but can't remember the CC name....)

I'm getting so excited for this trip.....I look out my window and can still see SNOW in some areas of my yard:p

Pool hours vary day to day based on acivities that are planned. Commonly 7am to 10pm, but again, activities in the pool area can limit this. Rough seas can also close the pool. It is not uncommon for the pool to be closed the sail away day.

If the weather is warm enough, the top will be open. 23 degrees C sounds warm enough. However, winds can cause the top to be partially or totally closed.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thanks...I realize there's only one pool (I think of hot tubs as "whirlpools" so I even confuse myself sometimes). If it's closed during rough seas then it may be closed next week - weather channel reports a tropical storm in the works (a month ahead of season).

I hope so too.....As you can see from my sig block, I haven't been on a "cruise" in 42 years (and that one was on a troop ship and I don't remember a whole lot.....). I was worried about motion sickness BEFORE I saw the weather :-)

Pool hours vary day to day based on acivities that are planned. Commonly 7am to 10pm, but again, activities in the pool area can limit this. Rough seas can also close the pool. It is not uncommon for the pool to be closed the sail away day.

If the weather is warm enough, the top will be open. 23 degrees C sounds warm enough. However, winds can cause the top to be partially or totally closed.

Wonder why the pool would be closed on sailaway day? I would think it would be a good activity to start with once you get your room and have a couple of hours before the safety drill/lesson...

Wonder why the pool would be closed on sailaway day? I would think it would be a good activity to start with once you get your room and have a couple of hours before the safety drill/lesson...

I've never seen a pool closed on sailaway. Maybe I've been lucky.

Whether the pool is closed or not is a ship by ship issue. Sail away day used to be a common pool cleaning day. As more ships do B2B friendly schedules, it seems a little less likely, as more people stay on board.

I have seen a pool closed on sail away day perhaps half of our 18 cruises. As most ships have more than one pool, having one closed on sail away is not a problem. Many people have many other priorities on boarding.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Whether the pool is closed or not is a ship by ship issue. Sail away day used to be a common pool cleaning day. As more ships do B2B friendly schedules, it seems a little less likely, as more people stay on board.

I have seen a pool closed on sail away day perhaps half of our 18 cruises. As most ships have more than one pool, having one closed on sail away is not a problem. Many people have many other priorities on boarding.

I guess it would have to be cleaned at some point so your explanation makes perfect sense....would be more noticeable on this ship as there is really only one pool...but as long as a hot tub is on the go I'll be OK with that... I guess I just expected it to be "the place to be" as there are so many places here on CC where they say to make sure you have a bathing suit in your carry on so you don't have to wait for your suitcases to use the pool. Funny how we read something like that and think that's the way it's supposed to be.....

Regardless, I shall be on a cruise where I don't have to prepare the meals or do the dishes afterwards for 7 whole days.....;) I'm sure I'll get to use the pool at some point.

We had the pool closed on our Boston/San Diego cruise a couple of years ago for the first 3 days. I think it was part of the Code Orange they were doing. It did mean that we didn't get to use the pool for longer than that, however, as by day 3 we were picking up new passengers in Ft Lauderdale, and the Code Orange had to start over again.

I think I read that they're (HAL) no longer doing the Code Orange drill now, but I could be wrong.

We had the pool closed on our Boston/San Diego cruise a couple of years ago for the first 3 days. I think it was part of the Code Orange they were doing. It did mean that we didn't get to use the pool for longer than that, however, as by day 3 we were picking up new passengers in Ft Lauderdale, and the Code Orange had to start over again.

I think I read that they're (HAL) no longer doing the Code Orange drill now, but I could be wrong.

Hope not....that was part of what attracted me to the "cruise" concept...would be sad not to have it for 1/2 of the trip (although do understand the rough seas closure).