Transfers in Rome

iscreamer1

I am arriving in Rome the day before my cruise. Does it make sense to spend the night in Rome or should I just transfer right down to the port? In either case, what is the best way to get there. I will be alone, meeting my friend on the ship.

Thanks!

Agree with Paul. Have you been there before? If not, hard to imagine passing on Rome.

For all the transport options, some reading on the Italy board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

"Best" depends on so many variables only you know about. So a little research would be good, and then some more specific questions over there would be easy to answer.

Thanks, I have not been to Rome. My original plan was to spend the night and see a bit but then I started reading and it sounds like transfers are difficult, ie: lots of stairs, difficult communication, long walks with lots of luggage, so I started to rethink the plan. I will checkout that link and see if I can learn more.

Thanks

Cut back on the luggage is my best tip.

We landed at FCO and took the Leonardo Express to Termini. From there we had a three block walk to our hotel--transfers to the subway were also possible.

We had a motorcoach transfer from our hotel to the ship included, however you could also get to the cruise port by train.

I don't recall there being that many steps, but then again we were traveling very light and are very comfortable with mass transit.

I can't imagine landing in Rome and not spending at least a day seeing the sights.

Cut back on the luggage is my best tip.

We landed at FCO and took the Leonardo Express to Termini. From there we had a three block walk to our hotel--transfers to the subway were also possible.

We had a motorcoach transfer from our hotel to the ship included, however you could also get to the cruise port by train.

I don't recall there being that many steps, but then again we were traveling very light and are very comfortable with mass transit.

I can't imagine landing in Rome and not spending at least a day seeing the sights.

...agree. Planning is the key. Civitavecchia is small and simply a cruise port...Rome you must see.

Being by yourself, taking a private transfer can be very expensive unless you can share one with others from your roll-call. The train station at FCO is only a short walk away...across the street via down escalators, up the escalator and turn right.

There are relatively inexpensive hotels near the main Termini. Not the best area in Rome but it will be convenient for your trip to the cruise port. You can walk to most of the wonderful sights in Rome. (Be careful of pickpockets and strangers approaching you.) Again, a good plan and a good map is the key.

Taking the train is an option...truly depending on how many bags you're traveling with. At the Termini, the train platform for Civitavecchia is a long walk. Not sure how much the train cost now but it is probably around 5Euros and will take approximately an hour, depending on the train.

At Civitavecchia, depending on the which platform, it is possible you'll have to walk down a few steps, walk thru the short tunnel, and up the stairs to a small train station. Outside, you can bypass the taxi's and walk the few short blocks to the port gate. Immediately inside the port gate, there will be free buses/shuttles that will take you directly to your ship. Happy sailing. :) Note: Thanks to the experienced and wonderful members here that can provide even more detailed information...hlitner, cruisemom, eurocruiser,...we are grateful.

Definitely hit up the Italy Ports of Call forum. The same question is asked multiple times a day over there.

Along with the train, there are a few that recommend the Terravision bus from FCO into Rome. Search for that on the Italy forum also.

Thanks all so much or the info. My flight arrives early morning so I will go into Rome. A friend recommended Hotel Napoleon which is apparently right across from the Termini. 24 hours in Rome is better than no hours in Rome and I will have time on the cruise to relax.

Both wife and are are arriving the day before our cruise and we will be staying at a hotel near the airport. The following day we are travelling down to the cruise terminal. Both of these transfers we are taking with "Rome Airport Transfers" (info@romeairportransfers.com).

We are travelling from Australia and our flight arrives into Rome at around 20:05 so we thought it best to stay there till the next day. The hotel we are staying at is only 10 minutes by transfer. They meet and greet you at the airport also.

Hope this helps.

Sailaway John

(John Swinsburg)

Thanks all so much or the info. My flight arrives early morning so I will go into Rome. A friend recommended Hotel Napoleon which is apparently right across from the Termini. 24 hours in Rome is better than no hours in Rome and I will have time on the cruise to relax.

Hotel Napoleon is an easy 10 min walk from Termini station, but a very nice hotel. It has a metro (subway) station just outside its doors. A little research on Rome subway system, will tell you that it is really the best way to get around Rome. From hotel napoleon you can walk to the Colosseum and the old forum ruins in about 10 min or 1 stop with the metro. Good restaurants and shops nearby.

We spent 5 days in Rome last year before our cruise, stayed at the the Auditorium de Mecenate, which is just around the corner from hotel napoleon.

The metro can easily take you to all the major sights, and is safe to travel on. The buses can be bad for pickpockets. Just be streetwise and have zippered pockets for valuables in the front of you.

Both wife and are are arriving the day before our cruise and we will be staying at a hotel near the airport. The following day we are travelling down to the cruise terminal. Both of these transfers we are taking with "Rome Airport Transfers" (info@romeairportransfers.com).

We are travelling from Australia and our flight arrives into Rome at around 20:05 so we thought it best to stay there till the next day. The hotel we are staying at is only 10 minutes by transfer. They meet and greet you at the airport also.

Hope this helps.

Sailaway John

(John Swinsburg)

For someone getting in at 8:00 pm, I agree with your plan. FCO is not a fast airport to get out of, you wouldn't likely get to central Rome until closer to 10:00 pm, which only leaves an hour or two the next morning for touring, not worth the aggravation.

If someone is getting in on a morning arrival and sailing the next day, there's no reason to not spend the afternoon and evening in Rome, plus a bit the next morning.

FYI, the Med cruises are very port intensive and you most likely won't have as much time to relax as you think. We were exhausted when we returned from ours last year. It was non-stop.

Thanks, I have not been to Rome. My original plan was to spend the night and see a bit but then I started reading and it sounds like transfers are difficult, ie: lots of stairs, difficult communication, long walks with lots of luggage, so I started to rethink the plan. I will checkout that link and see if I can learn more.

Thanks

I see you are from Arizona... west coast... long flight.. so I might suggest you stay at the Hilton at the airport in Rome for one night. The hotel has a shuttle that you can take into the center of Rome if you feel up to checking out Rome after a long flight. Shuttle runs back and forth all day, free of charge.

Ref transfers, we always use Romecabs.com

You can goggle them and arrange a transfer to the ship and back you you wish. Transfers are 130 euro plus tip each way, payible at time of service.

I see you are from Arizona... west coast... long flight.. so I might suggest you stay at the Hilton at the airport in Rome for one night. The hotel has a shuttle that you can take into the center of Rome if you feel up to checking out Rome after a long flight. Shuttle runs back and forth all day, free of charge.

You can goggle them and arrange a transfer to the ship and back you you wish. Transfers are 130 euro plus tip each way, payible at time of service.

Exactly what I was going to offer as an alternative. Go and drop off your luggage at the Hilton as soon as you arrive - if a room isn't ready, they will hold your bags. Then, ask when the next shuttle is into Rome. If it's later than you want, go back into the terminal to the train station and take the Leonardo into Rome. Depending on how long you stay in Rome, you can either take their shuttle back or again take the Leonardo. At least with this scenario, you won't have to worry about lugging your luggage around. Then, arrange with one of the services noted on the Italy Ports board for your transfer from the hotel to the port.

With proper planning, transfers are easy to stay in Rome. Cab from airport to center of Rome is 48 Euro, and takes about 45 min.

Getting around Rome is easy, yes some stairs, but there are elevators and escalators everywhere.

Hotels in Rome are different than North America. Most are smaller, owned and operated by locals that have redone one or two floors of a building into hotel rooms. Just make sure the one you book has an elevator, not a big issue. Big plus is that these owners will assist you in whatever you are looking to do in Rome, and take the time to make sure your stay is enjoyable.

No worries about communication. Practically everyone speaks english.

Best thing is that there is no city in the world like Rome, and the best way to see it is to stay there, walk around, see the sights, eat their food and experience their culture. Hard to do all that when you are staying in a town almost an hour away.

By the way, transfers from Rome train station to Civitavecchia is about an hour or so and costs as little as 5 Euro per person. Unfortunately there are stairs down and up involved to exit this station, and a short walk to the port itself. But hey, I am a Senior now and I did it easily. Well worth paying for a cab for the short distance if necessary.

• 2 months later...
With proper planning, transfers are easy to stay in Rome. Cab from airport to center of Rome is 48 Euro, and takes about 45 min.

Getting around Rome is easy, yes some stairs, but there are elevators and escalators everywhere.

Hotels in Rome are different than North America. Most are smaller, owned and operated by locals that have redone one or two floors of a building into hotel rooms. Just make sure the one you book has an elevator, not a big issue. Big plus is that these owners will assist you in whatever you are looking to do in Rome, and take the time to make sure your stay is enjoyable.

No worries about communication. Practically everyone speaks english.

Best thing is that there is no city in the world like Rome, and the best way to see it is to stay there, walk around, see the sights, eat their food and experience their culture. Hard to do all that when you are staying in a town almost an hour away.

By the way, transfers from Rome train station to Civitavecchia is about an hour or so and costs as little as 5 Euro per person. Unfortunately there are stairs down and up involved to exit this station, and a short walk to the port itself. But hey, I am a Senior now and I did it easily. Well worth paying for a cab for the short distance if necessary.

How many stairs down and up would you say? Thinking about taking the train only because I have been reading about the heavy traffic getting into Rome but having luggage with us could be a problem if there are too many stairs. Thanks. Oh and what is the train like? Is there a first class compartment? Toilets? Thanks.

Archived