Does anyone do the FOD/LGBT gatherings?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Gay & Lesbian Cruisers
A Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:25 PM.
Connecticut
423 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Originally posted by starri
Would that that was completely true.

I hear you. Sometimes I feel as though it is geography. Some places are safer than others. And some cruises (not cruise lines per se) are safer than others. I recently did a b2b on NCL. The first ten day felt really safe we often shared tables and all seemed okay. The second had a far different tone. While playing Yahtzee in spinnaker I had to listen to a drunken bridal party which contained members who said incredibly homophobic things. I was surprised. But not shocked. Overall I still felt safe but knew to be more wary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Skipperanne
Connecticut

Certainly will be a great group!!

a totally new way to cruise: solo cabins!!

Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean, from NYC. b2b February-March 2017.
Royal Caribbean: Brilliance of the Seas Western Caribbean, from Tampa: Melissa Etheridge Rock the Boat Cruise: November 2016.
Carnival Paradise Western Caribbean, from Tampa October 2016.
Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean, from NYC March 2016.
Norwegian Sun Alaska btb Vancouver to Seward May-June 2015.
Norwegian Pearl Alaska Cruise!! Vancouver to Seattle May 2015.
Norwegian Dawn Boston to Tampa and Western Caribbean November 2013.
Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean btb from NYC March 2013.
Dallas, TX
413 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
I always try to attend early on in the cruise and make the best of it. Sometimes I stroll into the bar with a few snaps a say "It's Friends of Dorothy time, let's get this party started" and that seems to help.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

My first cruise: Carnival Celebration out of Galveston, won it in a raffle. 5 days, 10/6/2003

Carnival Ecstasy, 5/25/2006, 4 days, Galveston

Royal Caribbean Majesty Of The Seas, 3/2/2007, 3 days, Miami
Minnesota
49 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by jeffdal
I always try to attend early on in the cruise and make the best of it. Sometimes I stroll into the bar with a few snaps a say "It's Friends of Dorothy time, let's get this party started" and that seems to help.

Well...I hope there are others like you on our Escape cruise in September - it's so much more fun when people put themselves out there and meet people!

Sent from my XT1575 using Forums mobile app
Connecticut
423 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Originally posted by jeffdal

That beats the sort of wandering around looking for anyone who might be gay and there for the Friends of Dorothy Meeting. The cruise lines need to make it a little easier to find one another.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Skipperanne
Connecticut

Certainly will be a great group!!

a totally new way to cruise: solo cabins!!

Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean, from NYC. b2b February-March 2017.
Royal Caribbean: Brilliance of the Seas Western Caribbean, from Tampa: Melissa Etheridge Rock the Boat Cruise: November 2016.
Carnival Paradise Western Caribbean, from Tampa October 2016.
Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean, from NYC March 2016.
Norwegian Sun Alaska btb Vancouver to Seward May-June 2015.
Norwegian Pearl Alaska Cruise!! Vancouver to Seattle May 2015.
Norwegian Dawn Boston to Tampa and Western Caribbean November 2013.
Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean btb from NYC March 2013.
Michigan
40 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
I go. Sometimes it clicks and is a cruise highlight, and other times it's a bust. It's always worth a shot. I make a point of going the first two nights. On Carnival, it seems to work best on the ships with an Alchemy Bar--the menu and drink selection seems to be a natural ice breaker, and the staff also get conversations started to figure out your "prescription."
Chicago
55 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
We always go just to see what's going on and possibly meet new people. Depending on time of year and itinerary, attendance can be zilch, to friendly, to aloof and intimidating. On our last AK cruise on Princess, we traveled with another gay couple and with the exception of another rather cool younger couple, nobody ever attended. It was nice, however, to have the Adagio bar completely to ourselves for a pre-dinner cocktail every night. These were listed in the daily Patter. On the Carnival Vista this last Christmas, we met evenings in the Alchemy bar before and after dinner, and we found a group of the most friendly LGBT people we've ever encountered on a cruise. Subgroups of us would get together for dinner, shows, and even trivia. Guess who won the Broadway, television, and movies trivia? It was really fun. Prior to that, I hadn't had much luck at their LGBT gatherings. Generally, the meetings would be in the piano bar and it was already busy with other cruisers so there was this kind of walking around the place with an sense of wondering as to "are you...?" Plus that made it a little less intimate for getting to know people, as they were scattered among the other passengers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises
Celebrity Summit - 7 Day Southern Caribbean - January 6, 2018

Carnival Horizon - 7 Day Southern Caribbean - October 20, 2018
Crown Princess - 10 Day Southern Caribbean Medley - Mar 7, 2019
Previous Cruises
Ruby Princess - 7 Day Alaska Glacier Bay Inside Passage - June 10, 2017
Carnival Vista - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - December 17, 2016
Carnival Vista - 10 Day Mediterranean - May 24, 2016
Carnival Breeze - 8 Day Southern Caribbean - October 24, 2015
Carnival Magic - 7 Day Western Caribbean - November 16, 2014
Carnival Ecstasy - 5 Day Western Caribbean - June 9, 2008
Oakland California
153 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
We usually try to attend at least the first one. Sometimes they just click and other times not. The very best that we have attended was on the Queen Mary 2 last year. Very well attended and fun with people from many countries. We met a German guy who told us of seeing American GIs during WWII and how handsome they were. The ship served hors d'oeuvres during the meeting. The guy who cuts my hair told me of a couple of his clients who asked the captain on their ship if it was OK for them to dance together. They were told that he supposed that it was ok but that they might upset other passengers. This was a very high-end cruise line and they had sailed dozens of times with them. On the QM2 a couple of the (male) dance hosts (they are NOT gigolos) attended the FOD and I asked them about that. They said that they would dance with ANY passenger if asked, not just the ladies. A Belgian/Swedish male couple won the ships dance contest. They are same-sex ballroom dancers. As you can tell we had a delightful time on the ship and at the FOD.
Oakland California
153 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
The newsletter for the next day had a note that Friends of Bill W. meetings, LGBT meetings, and other (unspecified) meetings could be found on the bulletin board. It did not list the location of the bulletin board. I don't know how far in advance the newsletters are printed, so I don't know if the inclusion of LGBT was in response to my request.

Oddly, the LGBT reference was only in the newsletter that one day. For the rest of the cruise, the newsletter referred passengers to the bulletin board for Friends of Bill W. meetings and other (again, unspecified) passenger meetings.

Speaking of Friends of Bill W, we were once on a Princess Cruise to Alaska. The Friends of Dorothy were meeting at the Champagne Bar and having an enjoyable time. A woman came up to us and asked if ladies were welcome and of course we said yes. One of the guys started talking about his lesbian sister and the woman got a strange look on her face. She then asked us if this was the AA group. Poor lady. She must have wondered why all of the "alcoholics" were having cocktails. Needless to say, she left quickly. I hope that it gave her a good story to tell.
arizona
2 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by dekohman
Well...I hope there are others like you on our Escape cruise in September - it's so much more fun when people put themselves out there and meet people!

My husband and I will be on the Escape for the Sept 23rd sailing
arizona
2 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by dekohman
Fantastic! We'll be hitting the happy hour as often as we can.

This will be our first cruise so looking forward to all the activites the ship has to offer. We will be celebrating our first anniversary but together for 40 years.