Akaroa Dolphin Swim

lanikeekee

Hi we are travelling on the Dawn Princess in January to New Zealand and I would like to know if anyone has done the dolphin swim with black cat cruises....the ship has a tour...can you tell me if the water is freezing....and if you felt safe with the dolphins especially since they are wild animals....thanks again :D

Hi we are travelling on the Dawn Princess in January to New Zealand and I would like to know if anyone has done the dolphin swim with black cat cruises....the ship has a tour...can you tell me if the water is freezing....and if you felt safe with the dolphins especially since they are wild animals....thanks again :D

You may find the water temperature a bit refreshing as Akaroa is a lot further south than many Australian beaches. However normally the tour company provides wet suits and snorkel gear. The wet suit will help to keep you warm as well as help with bouyancy while you swim.

I have never found wild dolphins to be threatening in all the interactions I have had with them. They are smart animals, if the don't want to play with the humans on a particular day they just stay away or at a distance. :D

You may find the water temperature a bit refreshing as Akaroa is a lot further south than many Australian beaches. However normally the tour company provides wet suits and snorkel gear. The wet suit will help to keep you warm as well as help with bouyancy while you swim.

I have never found wild dolphins to be threatening in all the interactions I have had with them. They are smart animals, if the don't want to play with the humans on a particular day they just stay away or at a distance. :D

Thanks jacintaH I was more concerned about the water temperature than the dolphins...don't want to freeze to death:rolleyes::D

Thanks jacintaH I was more concerned about the water temperature than the dolphins...don't want to freeze to death:rolleyes::D

:D. A wetsuit will keep the worst of the coldness at bay but the water will still be quite brisk and refreshing :D

Hi yes I have done it. In May when it is significantly colder than January!. The wetsuit will keep you buoyant & warm. There is an initial gasp as the cool water goes between the wetsuit & your skin. It warms up quickly & you have a nice layer of warm water trapped in the suit.

The Hectors dolphins are the smallest in the world & only grow to 1.5m max. The are not at all threatening. Suggest you look at the Facebook pages for Akaroa 365 days of the year or Coast up Close for wonderful dolphin photos and Black Cat Cruises for some photos of the interactions between swimmers & dolphins. It is a once in a lifetime experience & no one has frozen to death yet :) I think you'll find the experience very quickly overcomes any sense of cold. I'd be really surprised if you didn't enjoy it.

Hi yes I have done it. In May when it is significantly colder than January!. The wetsuit will keep you buoyant & warm. There is an initial gasp as the cool water goes between the wetsuit & your skin. It warms up quickly & you have a nice layer of warm water trapped in the suit.

The Hectors dolphins are the smallest in the world & only grow to 1.5m max. The are not at all threatening. Suggest you look at the Facebook pages for Akaroa 365 days of the year or Coast up Close for wonderful dolphin photos and Black Cat Cruises for some photos of the interactions between swimmers & dolphins. It is a once in a lifetime experience & no one has frozen to death yet :) I think you'll find the experience very quickly overcomes any sense of cold. I'd be really surprised if you didn't enjoy it.

Thanks so much mrswhiskers....sold...now I am booking...and thanks for everyone else....hate being cold and it was the husband that made me nervous about the dolphins:D

• 4 weeks later...

Sensational trip. I did it in December and yes it was "bloody cold", but only when you first jump in. Our hands did stay cool - so taking a pair of gloves would help - any sort, dont need to be diving gloves. (Just to make a barrier and let some water pool and warm).

The Dolphins are awesome!!!! Enjoy.

Then go back to the ship to shower change and come back to explore Akorao.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old topic, but just hoping I can get some help from anyone who has done this trip. The cold water doesn't worry me, I swim in the UK sea without a wetsuit with a water temp of 15 c.

1 - Re swimming with the dolphins - I know you can't touch them, but can you swim alongside them, and dive under the water ... or do the guides ask you to stay still?

2- I would be taking my mother along, as a spectator (I see they offer a reduced fee for this) How comfortable is the boat for those that stay on it and don't take the swimming option. Is there anywhere to sit, does it have a toilet, does it move around a lot at anchor?

I know this is an old topic, but just hoping I can get some help from anyone who has done this trip. The cold water doesn't worry me, I swim in the UK sea without a wetsuit with a water temp of 15 c.

1 - Re swimming with the dolphins - I know you can't touch them, but can you swim alongside them, and dive under the water ... or do the guides ask you to stay still?

2- I would be taking my mother along, as a spectator (I see they offer a reduced fee for this) How comfortable is the boat for those that stay on it and don't take the swimming option. Is there anywhere to sit, does it have a toilet, does it move around a lot at anchor?

1 - The Dolphins swim all around you and the crew encourage you to move and make noise. They are very inquisitive.

2 - The view from the boat is great. And is very comfortable. Plenty of seating areas - inside and out. I don't remember a toilet. The boat does not anchor, they move around and will always have it pointed into the swell - so was very comfortable. The dolphins come right up to the boat!!!!!

bsdfbsdfb.jpg.2464cf605981026d2d4022f806c5e6a2.jpg

Archived