How about brewers bay vs. Cane garden bay

cruiseawaits

I know the feeling...I can't wait until we can get back and spend a couple weeks between VG and Tortola. It's my favorite spot on earth, but a bit of a sacrifice for my wife as she prefers hotels in Mexico and other spots. And I've promised her a Panama Canal cruise for years. So we'll be doing a couple weeks in Puerto Vallarta in May, and the canal cruise in Feb. but I'll find a way to get back to the BVI in the spring of '14! Man that's a long way off...

;) :D ;)

You know a lot about the BVI.... what other Caribbean islands have you been to that you like?

We've stayed on St Martin, St Thomas, and Grand Cayman as well (and Cancun and Playa Del Carmen in Mex) and they're all nice. But the islands mentioned are in the busier, more developed category. But I would recommend a certain area or excursion for each of these for a cruise stop.

I believe you're doing St Thomas on this cruise and looking at Sapphire Beach? If so that would be our choice as well as we stay at that resort because it is such a nice beach and location. For SXM one of our all-time favorite 1/2 daysails is on the Golden Eagle (sailingsxm dot com), and for Grand Cayman rent a car and drive to Rum Point.

But I'm looking forward to staying on the lesser developed or non-cruise ship islands (those that are left) to get away from the crowds. The BVI is currently my favorite spot because I can still do that there. Even on a big ship day on Tortola or a ship docking at VG there are places that will not see the crowds...

We've stayed on St Martin, St Thomas, and Grand Cayman as well (and Cancun and Playa Del Carmen in Mex) and they're all nice. But the islands mentioned are in the busier, more developed category. But I would recommend a certain area or excursion for each of these for a cruise stop.

I believe you're doing St Thomas on this cruise and looking at Sapphire Beach? If so that would be our choice as well as we stay at that resort because it is such a nice beach and location. For SXM one of our all-time favorite 1/2 daysails is on the Golden Eagle (sailingsxm dot com), and for Grand Cayman rent a car and drive to Rum Point.

But I'm looking forward to staying on the lesser developed or non-cruise ship islands (those that are left) to get away from the crowds. The BVI is currently my favorite spot because I can still do that there. Even on a big ship day on Tortola or a ship docking at VG there are places that will not see the crowds...

During our previous cruise stop on St. Thomas (Dec. 2008), we visited Coki Beach, and decided to head back to Sapphire this upcoming cruise. If we were going to St. John, we'd be at Hawksnest Beach.

If I remember right, CGB is about a 1/2 hour ride from the pier right? We get in at 10 am so want to grab a cab right away and enjoy as many hours as we can. We leave at 6 so I am thinking as long as we leave the beach around 4 or so we should be good

Been to both Brewers and CGB and for us, we like CGB better as there is more activity and good people watching, so heading back to CGB again.

Blue Water, we just got back from our cruise yesterday, and it was superb all around. We decided to visit Cane Garden Bay Beach (even though you gave me and others advice on what it would be like on a cruise day). Our taxi got us there early enough to grab beach chairs and an umbrella close to the restrooms and the taxi drop off point and there was a restaurant/bar directly behind us. The beach did get very crowded within a hour or so after we arrived, but it was never that bad.

After lounging for a while, I walked up and down the beach to get pics, and I have to say, that beach is beautiful, and I'm glad we went there. Next time we visit Tortola for a land-based vacation, we're visiting Brewer's Bay and other beaches on that island. I was sad to leave after only being on that island for 7 short hours. Again, thank you for all of your great suggestions.

Edited by Caribbean_Dreamer37

• 1 month later...

My BF wants to go with CGB during the cruise, just to see what it's all about (even after I told him about cruise passenger crowds). We've been on crowded beaches before, so we'll see how this turns out. We won't stay in the same spot the entire time on the beach, but I'm looking forward to having a Painkiller. Thanks again.

I too am looking forward to a painkiller.. so yummy. Our first visit to Totola we went to Brewer's Bay because we wanted to try snorkeling. My DH did not have such a wonderful experience trying to get the hang of it and refuses to snorkel ever again so on our second trip to the island we opted for CGB. When we got off the ship we walked out to the main road.you can get cheaper taxis there. There were 4 of us and if I remember correctly he charged us $5 each and he came to pick us back up when we told him and returned to the ship. This was 4 years ago.

We were the only people at CGB as we were the only ship in town and it is older non beaching crowd. The water was beautiful, the beach real nice and plentiful restaurants. I think you will like it regardless of the "crowds". Enjoy that painkiller:D

Blue Water, we just got back from our cruise yesterday, and it was superb all around. We decided to visit Cane Garden Bay Beach (even though you gave me and others advice on what it would be like on a cruise day). Our taxi got us there early enough to grab beach chairs and an umbrella close to the restrooms and the taxi drop off point and there was a restaurant/bar directly behind us. The beach did get very crowded within a hour or so after we arrived, but it was never that bad.

After lounging for a while, I walked up and down the beach to get pics, and I have to say, that beach is beautiful, and I'm glad we went there. Next time we visit Tortola for a land-based vacation, we're visiting Brewer's Bay and other beaches on that island. I was sad to leave after only being on that island for 7 short hours. Again, thank you for all of your great suggestions.

Carib Dreamer we stayed at Myett's in CGB and liked it because we wanted to be in the middle of the happy hour and music action and it was perfect. There are many options if you do return for a longer stay, and I would recommend it as Tortola is my favorite island to stay on.

Glay you enjoyed it there!

I too am looking forward to a painkiller.. so yummy.

Oh man, the ones we had at CGB were so strong I couldn't get past the first sip! We had tried one the day before in St. Thomas, and it was drinkable... we were kind of sad.

I'd love to go back to Tortola, despite the terrifying drive, CGB was one of the pretties places I've been.

• 3 weeks later...

Taxi to Brewers and CGB is cheaper than Smuggler's which is further.

Prices are for 1 person, 2, and 3 or more. $24, 12, & 8 for Brewer's or CGB, $32, 16, & 12 for Smuggler's.

Smuggler's is more secluded and beautiful, where BB has one beach bar and a few more ppl. CGB is the most crowded and has 6 restaurants/bars + water rentals.

Taxi to Brewers and CGB is cheaper than Smuggler's which is further.

Prices are for 1 person, 2, and 3 or more. $24, 12, & 8 for Brewer's or CGB, $32, 16, & 12 for Smuggler's.

Smuggler's is more secluded and beautiful, where BB has one beach bar and a few more ppl. CGB is the most crowded and has 6 restaurants/bars + water rentals.

Thanks for the info!! I am torn between Brewers Bay and Smugglers. If you had to choose for snorkeling and being docked from 7-1pm, where would you go?

CGB is ideal if you enjoy being with your fellow cruisers in the same vibe that you have at the main pool on the ship. We've stayed in CGB and it gets very crowded when the 25 pax safari taxis start rolling in...:p

Fun happy hours in the evening though.

Not telling you what to do. I just want to give you a link to pics of Cane Garden Bay.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38261376&highlight=cane+garden+bay#post38261376

post #88.

Those are very beautiful pics. I think we want something a bit more secluded!! But great pics.

CGB is ideal if you enjoy being with your fellow cruisers in the same vibe that you have at the main pool on the ship. We've stayed in CGB and it gets very crowded when the 25 pax safari taxis start rolling in...:p

Fun happy hours in the evening though.

I think Brewers Bay may be the way!! Thanks so much for all input and info!! Much appreciated.

Edited by Sheils65

• 1 year later...

Can't beat Smuggler's Cove (or Long Bay, Tortola or Long Bay, Beef Island) and an excellent lunch from La Baguette

http://www.labaguettebvi.com/

French Deli & Gourmet Shop

Wickhams Cay II

Road Town

Tortola

British Virgin Islands

VG1110

Orders: +1 (284) 494 2195

Edited by blue_water

• 5 months later...

Are there any all inclusive day passes/beaches in Tortola. We have done these in other places and they have included drinks/food, beach chairs, etc. We will be in for a day with kids ages 9-15 and would love to have a snorkeling area on the beach and food options.

Is there free Wifi anywhere in Tortola?