Cane Garden Bay vs. Brewers Bay - Water question

Daonlyone2000

I have read lots of information on both of these beaches, but none every talk about the water. I am more interested in going to a beach where the waves are calm and water is clear. Which beach offers calmer waters (my first choice) and clearer or bluer waters (second choice)?

Most beaches can be calm or rough depending on the sea and wind conditions that particular day. And the water colors are evident at all of these but the sunlight dictates the vibrancy of the colors.

CGB can be very, very calm and can be very, very rough depending on these conditions. We’ve been there when the water was like glass with very minor waves, and we’ve been there when there was a swell and the waves were huge.

Brewers bay is pretty calm, but the beaches on the north side are subject to large waves so no guarantees.

We prefer Smuggler’s Cove for the beach, water colors, and views of Jost and Sandy Cay. Long Bay (Tortola) is also a nice, long walking beach with nice water colors and views. But these may or may not be right for you. But we’ve always found Smuggler’s to be very nice and calm when we’ve been there. Long Bay can be rougher because it’s a little more exposed.

Long Bay (Beef Island) is another nice beach that can be calm. No amenities other than perhaps a portapotty, and locals go there.

So I’m not much help, sorry. SC would be our choice for the gorgeous beach and relative quiet as compared to CGB and BB. I’ve read there is a vendor selling food and drink at SC again, the driver can tell you if that’s the case. On a cruise stop you may want to look at BB since it’s a little shorter taxi and has a beach bar (and so more ppl).

Thanks Blue. I have read some of your post before on Tortola and was hoping you would see this. I guess I should have specified more information. I will be going there next month on a cruise. We are scheduled to be in port from 8am to 6pm so it gives us a full day to beach it. Me and my traveling companion love going to various beaches. We also like amenities as we like to have a few drinks while we are there (we normally bring out own snacks). My traveling companion is a little limited with doing strenuous activities bc of a back issue so we have ruled out doing the Baths. I am not a great swimmer (I have tried classes but they don't seem to help much) so I prefer calm relaxing beaches where i can float or just tread water. Do you know of a site I can check to see what the conditions are? SC does sound ideal but it just doesn't have the amenities that we both prefer.

We love Brewer's Bay! Lovely beach and water. It's gently sloping and shallow for quite a ways out. Every time we've been there it was almost like a lake and was never crowded. Rustic but nice snack bar for hamburgers & such. Sold beer, etc. Had restrooms. Could rent beach chairs. Umbrellas were not needed because there was both sun and shade. :)

LuLu

Yes as LuLu said BB would be a great choice for you. There is one small beach bar (Nicole's) where you can get a great burger and drinks.

Because you have a nice long day in port you may want to consider hitting Cane Garden Bay after. They are very near to each other and you could enjoy what CGB has to offer as many of your fellow cruisers are heading back to the port area.

If you like having several beach bars to visit Cane Garden Bay is a larger bay that is generally calm and is probably the easiest entry beach on the island and shallow. A bit busier than Brewers but many more options for food, drink, and water rentals. Stanley's Welcome Bar (now cuz Tony's) is where the famed palm tree/tire swing was, and is also purported to be the home of the cheeseburger in paradise (who knows?). Also great fish tacos. Myett's next door also has great bar food, we enjoy staying there, and Quito's Legend is a drink you should try if there. Quito is a famous recording artist who has a restaurant/bar in the bay. You can also visit the oldest continously running rum distillery in the Carib. Just a lot to experience in CGB but buiser.

With your time available you could also take a water taxi from CGB to Jost Van Dyke ifyou just went to CGB, although the ride would be a little bumpy in a smaller boat.

If time allows there are several small shops near the port including Sunny Carribee, a great spice shop (great for unique gifts), and great clothing in the store at Pussers Pub.

Have a great relaxing day!

Edited by blue_water
Typos

Blue, that is great advice. I think I will take you up on that. Do you know if taxis are readily available at brewers beach? I believe I read they are at CGB. I just need to know if I need the cab driver to pick us up from Brewers to head to CGB or can i just get one from BB. I am also assuming that CGB is not walkable from BB. True? Thanks again to Blue and LuLu for helping me!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Blue, we caught a taxi over to Brewer's Bay first thing. It was a crazy ride up the mountain and back down (more so than going to Magen's bay). Once we arrived, my breathe was taken away. There was a small area at the entrance that wasn't spectacular but the beach as a whole was nothing like I have seen before. I must admit I was a little freaked out by the number of fish in the water; however a few drinks later I didn't care. Brewer's Bay by far is my favorite beach thus far in the caribbean. My second favorite would be Magen's Bay. Also this time around I loved going to St. Maarten more so than the first time. We just caught the water taxi over to the beach by the Cruise ships and had a fabulous time. Also lots of wonderful shopping.

That's a great cruise for sure, thanks for the feedback! We started visiting Tortola on land vacations before cruising there and fell in love with it.

Next time in St Thomas try Sapphire Beach if you haven't already, gorgeous beach with lots of character.. Most people who have been to Magens and Sapphire always return to Sapphire, and there's also good snorkeling there. We stay there when on STT, can't beat a condo just yards from the water...

Take care!

Blue, we caught a taxi over to Brewer's Bay first thing. It was a crazy ride up the mountain and back down (more so than going to Magen's bay). Once we arrived, my breathe was taken away. There was a small area at the entrance that wasn't spectacular but the beach as a whole was nothing like I have seen before. I must admit I was a little freaked out by the number of fish in the water; however a few drinks later I didn't care. Brewer's Bay by far is my favorite beach thus far in the caribbean. My second favorite would be Magen's Bay. Also this time around I loved going to St. Maarten more so than the first time. We just caught the water taxi over to the beach by the Cruise ships and had a fabulous time. Also lots of wonderful shopping.

Thanks for reporting back!

Agree, that ride is not for the "faint of heart" :eek: ... but so worth it when you get there. :)

LuLu

Thanks for reporting back!

Agree, that ride is not for the "faint of heart" :eek: ... but so worth it when you get there. :)

LuLu

Even more fun driving the first time! I found myself leaning forward against the steering wheel to help keep from flipping over backward ! :p ! Some areas are quite steep, and adding a switchback just adds to the thrill :eek:

So if I were planning a trip to st. Thomas and wanted to stay at sapphire, what condos would you recommend? I am really interested in going there for a week and doing a few day trips to various islands near by. I also doubt that I would drive there. I live in the flat lands of SC so I would prefer taking taxis.

Always go through the owner, VRBO is a good place to compare. We like condos this owner rents - all on 2nd floor so we can leave the doors open for the waves and great views. Check their site

Paradisenights.us

Another owner has an upper and lower unit

We've just enjoyed staying on Tortola and more recently STT as well, and they are contrasting experiences. I would recommend spending some time on Tortola (or perhaps Virgin Gorda if you're a real snorkeling fan), and a few nights at Sapphire before flying home from STT. The beauty of Sapphire is not only the natural beauty but the fact that you are right on the beach. Red Hook is also a very short drive or taxi away for fun evenings and dinners.

You want to rent a condo at Sapphire (or any other condo or villa) through the owner so you know exactly what you're getting. And VRBO is a great source for that. For example Secret Harbor is home to a condo property but you're forced to rent through them and you don't know whether the unit you're renting is newly refurbished or older. You can rent through the management at Sapphire with the same results. Going through the owner removes that problem.

Cruising is a great way to be introduced to the various islands, and it's nice returning for a longer visit to really experience that destination.

Good Luck! :)