Where is the Best Place to Be on Sailaway on the QM2?

sfvoyager

Based on wonderful suggestions thus far, I envision my first day on the QM2 like this:

Basking in the wonderful reception as we set foot onboard.

Putting a few things away in the room.

Lunch in the Princess Grill.

Walk about the ship to get acquainted.

Now, I wonder- where is the best place to be to experience the sailaway in the best possible way from Southampton? I imagine hearing the ship blow it's whistle is part of the experience.

I envision the same as its about the same as I did on my HAL cruise last year except putting clothes away was done after sailaway and before dinner. It all depends on when your luggage gets to your cabin. Anyway, was thinking exactly the same question - is it better to do the sailaway party (if inside) or go on one of the decks and watch the ship leave. I understand the promenade is on Deck 7 but would the top be better?

Now, I wonder- where is the best place to be to experience the sailaway in the best possible way from Southampton? I imagine hearing the ship blow it's whistle is part of the experience.

It rather depends on the weather.....if its fine, there are plenty of vantage points, and there is plenty of space.....move around, glass of Widow's Unction in hand.....and if the weather is bad, the Commodore Club has wonderful views over the bows....

Peter

Someone in a previous thread had mentioned going to the very top, above even the helipad, to be able to see the sites in New York harbor from both sides without having to move from one side of the ship to the other. Does anyone know what the poster was referring to?

Not sure where you're sailing away from (I must have missed your previous posts) but my Husband and I were on 13 deck when she left from Ft. Lauderdale. Very windy! but if you can find a good spot to block the wind, it's pretty spectacular.

Someone in a previous thread had mentioned going to the very top, above even the helipad, to be able to see the sites in New York harbor from both sides without having to move from one side of the ship to the other. Does anyone know what the poster was referring to?

Well, I'm guessing it's going to be very tough viewing the sites in the New York Harbor on sailaway from Southampton, but I guess if you stand there long enough...<G>

On the top deck, (13, I believe) is a helipad (marked "low Hover" on the deck and a circle delineated for landings.) If you take the "A" stairs (I think those are the yellow ones. I don't remember.) You can get all the way topside, forward. If you want side to side views stay somewhat forward of amidships. There is a platform up a flight of stairs (forward of where the covered pool is on 12 deck, but up 1 more deck- so stairs up from pool forward doors to 13, then stairs up to platform) This platform is in front of the funnel (with the pool sliding cover between the platform and the funnel) . If you go forward to the sports deck Some sort of courts- tennis I think, surrounded by netting/fencing. I was only up there either in the dark or from the funnel forward platform and not really focusing on them, around the superstructure (where the flags are raised) there is a small stair up to a forward viewing area behind a windscreen. It's a marvelous place to see forward, but could be crowded. It is both covered and somewhat protected from the wind. Aft of that area, on the open deck, the sides have smoked glass (Amidships) but there are breaks in the panes of glass every so often to get a clear view with a camera.

Hope that helps. If I get off my lazy butt in front of my space heater and go get the book, I will give you a better description of what everything is called! <G>

Karie, Who would gladly be back out in that cold wind and sleet sailing away from NYC again, frigid as it was, waiting for late arrivals, but afraid to go inside in case we started to sail out.

Okay, After much fussing., I hope this is viewable. There's got to be a better way to resize pictures!

Anyway, in front of the satellite antennas is a great "corridor" which is protected. And the locker rooms are nice to get out of the wind! <G>

As a couple of us found our secret place!

P1100012.jpg.74e0f5f31dd25d1968032a8f9daa1113.jpg

Thank you all for your replies. Travel-to-Go...you are too funny. I would need a very strong pair of binoculars to see manhattan from Southampton.

It is interesting how powerful the association is with QM2 and Transatlantic Voyages.

I am in fact going on a round trip Mediterranean Cruise from Southampton.

The other thing I failed to really mention in this thread is what I really am looking for is the most FESTIVE place to be on the ship as it casts off. I figured there isn't a heck of alot to see as we depart from Southampton, and I am not a fan of whipping winds on the helipad. :)

I guess what I am asking is where do people congretate generally to cheer the horns, etc.

Thanks everyone. I love all the responses as each one reinforces my restless excitement as the three months I must wait pass like an eternity.

In 2004, we experienced sail-away parties on Deck 8 (weather permitting). The band played by the pool and portable bars were set up around the deck. A great place to stand is in one of the small areas that project out from either side. You can see forward from there. It's a very popular spot!

• 6 months later...

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the past but I had the same question for a Southampton Sailaway.

I assume that Deck 7 (Prom deck?) is good for a "traditional" sailway? Also that a band plays on the quayside?

Thanks, we have one shot at this and want to make it as special as possible!

In 2004, we experienced sail-away parties on Deck 8 (weather permitting). The band played by the pool and portable bars were set up around the deck. A great place to stand is in one of the small areas that project out from either side. You can see forward from there. It's a very popular spot!

exactly thats the location where we sail a way from!!

Try QM2: Best Place to Be Sailing out of NYC?, posted June 28th, 2006, 08:49 PM by Texwell.

And for sal7202: sailing from Red Hook, Brooklyn, you see 99% of the harbor.

What you miss are the views of lower Manhatten from the Hudson River, which is a loss.

We sailed on the 7/8 crossing from NYC. In the post that PB referred to, one of the replies suggested the same helipad location that Kari suggested. However, the sun was shining brightly and NYC was experiencing a heat wave, so I couldn't persuade DH to go up. We ended up on Deck 7 aft (rear of the ship, I guess aft is the right term). We made sure we arrived there several minutes before departure time, secured our spot by the rail, and ordered our champagne. The band was playing right above us on Deck 8 so we could hear the music. My heartbeat quickens just recalling it! I don't know what it's like to sail away from Manhattan, but the helicopters circling above, sailboats following us, New York skyline, and, of course, the Statue of Liberty took my breath away.

Be sure to take your camera and ask fellow passengers to snap a picture of you together. (We've got great photos of the Statue of Liberty behind each of us, but none together.:( )

Also that a band plays on the quayside?

The last twice we've been on the QE2 and sailed from Southampton there hasn't been a band. We had thought that it was just another cost cutting measure but now wonder if this is just Cunard discriminating against the QE2!:D

Archived