This is not a political statement: Has anyone stayed at the Trump hotel Vancouver?

alj1208

Has anyone stayed at the Trump hotel Vancouver pre-cruise? We are considering it because it's less expensive than the cruise line's preferred hotel (the Pan Pacific), but it still looks very nice. How close is it to the cruise terminal? Is it a good neighborhood for walking around? Any feedback is appreciated.

^Have to agree, the odds of finding anyone on a cruise forum who's stayed there seem Slim to None considering the very short window for any potential guests combined with the even shorter window of potential cruises so far! As to the neighbourhood and other not-stayed-inside-the-hotel-but-familiar-with-the-area info:

I actually like the building architecturally - different enough to be unique without looking ridiculous - but the Trump branding, regardless of politics, is tacky as heck in the size/style/location of the lettering. And unless you feel walking through protesters would add to your trip, I'd avoid the hotel (unlike every other newly-opened luxury hotel in the city ever, prices are artificially low rather than high - a simple lack of demand). It's ground zero in Vancouver for anti-Trump, anti-American-Imperialist, anti-pretty much anything that people feel like protesting protests at the moment.

There always seem to be at least a few folks sitting or standing around with protest signs - and given the recent softwood tax I'd expect a bunch of burly lumbermen to be added to the usual studenty types outside the hotel in the near future as various mills cut back on their workforces thanks to reduced demand from US customers.

^LOL. I think if you were actually staying in the hotel the burly lumbermen would be much less inclined to socialize with you VG! Stick to your usual hotels and just swing by Trump to join in with slogan-shouting if you're looking to make some new friends;-)

I just looked at Trip Advisor (Cruise Critic's sister site) and there are 67 reviews of the hotel. My recommendation is to visit that site and look through some or all of the reviews.

Keith

You heard about fake news.... apparently there was a lot of fake reviews.... that is reviews before the hotel even opened!

Has anyone stayed at the Trump hotel Vancouver pre-cruise? We are considering it because it's less expensive than the cruise line's preferred hotel (the Pan Pacific), but it still looks very nice. How close is it to the cruise terminal? Is it a good neighborhood for walking around? Any feedback is appreciated.

I haven't stayed at the Trump place but I have the Pan Pacific. The location couldn't be beat. The hotel is built over the cruise terminal. Take the elevator down, hand over your luggage and aside from security screening/check in you're on.

...We passed by Trump several times during that time and never saw protesters.

Well, they aren't there all the time. It's only been a few times so far. ;)

OP, if you haven't decided on a hotel yet, a couple of our favorites are the Blue Horizon and the Fairmont Waterfront. As locals, we sometimes stay in the city for special occasions and these two are wonderful properties. :)

Now I think more about the times I've passed Trump tower recently, they were all on weekdays - and there was always at least one person with a sign, sitting on the nearest bench other side of the street or walking up & down on the same side as the hotel. Maybe there's less interest in protesting on weekends unless there's a big organised march etc. - makes some sense as with it being a very business-y area there's much less foot traffic outside the archetypal M-F working week, and the hotel's obviously not pulling in big crowds if they're discounting rooms that much, so there wouldn't be many folks to see the signs?

Pan Pacific, Sutton Place and Fairmont Waterfront are my favorite hotels in Vancouver. Haven't stayed in the Trump, but out of 74 current reviews on TA, 59 are 5* and 5 are 4* so those are pretty solid numbers.

The hotel is two blocks away from Robson Street which has shopping and restaurants. Location wise, it is decent probably a little more on the quiet side at night. It is on the edge of the Financial District. Depending on your luggage and how much you brought, you could walk to Canada Place as it would be downhill. However, if it is raining, I'd hail a cab because it is about a 15-20 minutes walk.