Backing up on the go?

pierces

Here's another player in the arena.

?ACT=44&fid=17&d=6411&f=flash-porter-rotater.gif

All sorts of drive options including a DIY model that takes any 7mm laptop drive you may have knocking about. Also user-updateable firmware with the unit viewed as a platform rather than a device. Hopefully, this will prevent a repeat of the "buy-a-new-one-if-you-want-updated-firmware" dead end Epson created when it abandoned updates for its earlier photo-storage/viewers when newer ones were released.

I have a new Kindle with a 128GB micro-sd card for backing up on the go but maybe this would be an option. Seems pretty darn versatile.

Dave

I think, for me, I would rather back up on my little MacBook Pro at the end of the day and then make a second copy on my travel drive. This looks kind of cool but it is just one more thing to carry for me.

Totally agree except I do it to a tablet instead. Easy to do and I have my tablet w me anyway.

DON

I always carry a laptop so I can edit on the go. I see little use for this device. I currently use very fast USB flash drives for additional backup from the laptop.

I would also like to point out that that device is new with many unknowns about its performance. I would not trust it for awhile as a backup device IMHO.

framer

If you already have a high-capacity tablet with USB OTG or a laptop and carry it with you, this is not really of interest. If you currently don't have an option for backup or are tired of lugging a laptop, it is a fairly low-cost option that doesn't take up much room in a travel kit.

As for the unreliability of new products, established companies are not immune. I seem to remember a lot of people complaining about the Death-Grip antenna issue of a certain popular phone and let's not forget the recent rash of late-generation phone-grenades. :)

Besides, it uses standard connectors, hard drives, flash media and since it is unlikely that a Kickstarter project would develop its own CPU and OS, it is likely using an Atom chip and an Android or Linux kernel. They have just put a lot of commonly available pieces together in an interesting new configuration. (It even has a headphone jack! ;) )

Not for everybody. Heck, after playing with the USB on my new Kindle Fire, it's not even for me. I just posted it because it was an interesting new product that caught my attention.

Dave

So what is out there right now that is similar to this product?

My Kickstarter experience tells me this won't fly on time and its' too close to my May 2017 Ireland/Scotland/England trip to bother jumping in on it.

I know I don't want to bring a laptop, and my Kindle is a cheapo model. If there is something competitive with $200 worth of high end SD cards, I could see grabbing it, otherwise - I guess I just stick to the swapping out cards every few days. I've never had a catastrophic failure of a memory card so that has always been a good option for me.

So what is out there right now that is similar to this product?

My Kickstarter experience tells me this won't fly on time and its' too close to my May 2017 Ireland/Scotland/England trip to bother jumping in on it.

I know I don't want to bring a laptop, and my Kindle is a cheapo model. If there is something competitive with $200 worth of high end SD cards, I could see grabbing it, otherwise - I guess I just stick to the swapping out cards every few days. I've never had a catastrophic failure of a memory card so that has always been a good option for me.

My latest gen Fire HD 8 supports SD cards up to 200 GB (probably more as long as it's SDXC, but that's the spec.) and USB on-the-go. Using ES File Explorer and a Transcend SD/MicroSD card reader, it copies over about one 16MB-20MB X-Fine JPEG per second.

It cost me about $135 with 32GB internal storage and no ads. Great reader, video player and awesome for music audiobooks with a Bluetooth headset.

Very pleased.

Dave

Edited by pierces

All sorts of drive options including a DIY model that takes any 7mm laptop drive you may have knocking about. Also user-updateable firmware with the unit viewed as a platform rather than a device. Hopefully, this will prevent a repeat of the "buy-a-new-one-if-you-want-updated-firmware" dead end Epson created when it abandoned updates for its earlier photo-storage/viewers when newer ones were released.

I have a new Kindle with a 128GB micro-sd card for backing up on the go but maybe this would be an option. Seems pretty darn versatile.

Dave

Just bought one thanks, can't wait for it to arrive.

My latest gen Fire HD 8 supports SD cards up to 200 GB (probably more as long as it's SDXC, but that's the spec.) and USB on-the-go. Using ES File Explorer and a Transcend SD/MicroSD card reader, it copies over about one 16MB-20MB X-Fine JPEG per second.

It cost me about $135 with 32GB internal storage and no ads. Great reader, video player and awesome for music audiobooks with a Bluetooth headset.

Very pleased.

Dave

I'm still not following...

I understand you can put a 200 Gb microSD into the reader, but if it only has 32Gb on board, then is that all you are backing up? Half of that is usually fluffware too.

Or is your card reader plugging into the microUSB/charging port, a 200 Gb micro SD is in the reader, and the files from the SD card get transferred to the reader/microSD?

I'm still not following...

I understand you can put a 200 Gb microSD into the reader, but if it only has 32Gb on board, then is that all you are backing up? Half of that is usually fluffware too.

Or is your card reader plugging into the microUSB/charging port, a 200 Gb micro SD is in the reader, and the files from the SD card get transferred to the reader/microSD?

#2 ;)

The new Fire HD has a MicroSD slot that supports additional storage. The USB OTG cable plugs into the micro-USB port and you plug the reader into the cable.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Dave

You can also plug in an external HDD to make a second copy. Or third or fourth or as many as you want.

Here's a couple options:

https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-colorspace-udma3 (this is what I currently use, my laptop is heavy and doesn't have a lot of storage)

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/wd-my-passport-wireless-pro (I don't have this, but it looks interesting)

The WD pro is good but only supports SD cards.

• 3 months later...

Very pleased.

Dave

Sorry for resurrecting this old post, but it has recently become timely for me. I have been using a Nexus tablet to both back up my photos while traveling and to also upload them via an app to a service which then sends hard copy postcards. I find this useful for sending to people who like something they can put on a refrigerator or who do not have access to computers (yes, there still are some of those out there - mother, very young grandkids).

Alas, the Nexus was left behind as we went through security in Saigon recently. But, that's not all that bad since I was in the market for something with more memory anyway. The Kindle Fire HD intrigues me because of its memory card slot and reasonable price. However, I am concerned about the fact that it does not support Google Play Store apps - which is where my postcard app (Touchnote) came from. I know there are ways to "hack" the Kindle to support Play Store, but it seems complex and an ongoing chore because of upgrades, etc.

So, the question is, are there good postcard apps and services available from Amazon for the Fire HD? If not, are there other other recommended tablets that support Play Store and also support a memory card lot or at least have 64 GB of built-in memory - without breaking the bank.

So, the question is, are there good postcard apps and services available from Amazon for the Fire HD? If not, are there other recommended tablets that support Play Store and also support a memory card lot or at least have 64 GB of built-in memory - without breaking the bank.

I looked and there are a couple of postcard apps available on the Fire. One does cards but looks like it will also track your collection of postcards. Another is a pure make-it-yourself but seems EU-centric.

If you are interested, the Lenovo Tab 8 or Tab 10 (version 2 or 3) are decent, inexpensive models. My wife has had one for about a year now and is pleased with the responsiveness and battery life.

Dave

Aloha Dave:

Why?

The USB On-The-Go connection is pretty fast on the new Kindle (USB 2.0, I'm guessing) and I can copy straight to the 128GB SD Card from the card reader. Very unlikely I would ever fill that and as a bonus, I can swipe through the pictures and see if the day was a good one.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave,

Do you ever backup from a CF card? do you use any software other than the ES file explorer? I tried backing up with a OTG cable and my card reader but the Photo importer app wouldn't let me save to the micro sd card and I couldn't find the card reader through ES...maybe its my reader?

Thanks

Another thing to consider, many new bodies at least from Nikon are coming with dual memory card slots. D7200, D750, D810 plus all pro bodies from the D3 newer. Seeing the D7200 added to the list I'm guessing its coming to even lower bodies in the next cycle.

You can throw in a blank card and copy right in the camera. You can also create a backup at the same time your taking the image. Dual memory card in the camera is really a great thing to have. I will not buy a body without them.

framer

This is what I am doing...

For an upcoming 10 day trip I will carry 5 64GB XQDs, and 10 64GB SDs (I pick em up on sale and speed is not an issue for backups.).

I'll shoot each day for 2 days to the XQD for speed then copy to an SD, each of which gets stored in a pelican case. The XQDs go into a different case.

Yes, the XQDs are expensive (but are getting cheaper), but even if I had a device like the one listed I wouldn't copy and reformat on a trip, I've had far more drive failures than I ever have card failures. Plus to be fair I already have 4 of the XQDs for general shooting and a ton of SDs for various cameras.

Another thing to consider, many new bodies at least from Nikon are coming with dual memory card slots. D7200, D750, D810 plus all pro bodies from the D3 newer. Seeing the D7200 added to the list I'm guessing its coming to even lower bodies in the next cycle.

You can throw in a blank card and copy right in the camera. You can also create a backup at the same time your taking the image. Dual memory card in the camera is really a great thing to have. I will not buy a body without them.

framer

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot on 32gb sandisk extreme or extreme pro cards, then I copy to 32 gb USB sticks, then to my portable hard drive, and if wifi is available to Amazon cloud. I will be travelling with my rav power file hub plus travel router/media server/battery pack. I like that it can copy from sd card to a USB drive, but it does not handle copying files with same name very well

Sent from my iPad using Forums