late sleepers who think the world owes them a chair

LuckyZ

OK here it is. I'm getting sick of all the Chair Hog threads and want to start one that gives the other side of the story.

It's about people who legitimately get a chair on the deck by the pool, actually use the chairs, but have one of the chairs taken over by people who get up late, see a chair that has been vacated for a few minutes and try to just sit down and use it.

I have had people try to take my DW's chair when she got up for a few mintutes to go to the bathroom (but I was still in my chair beside her). It was like fighting off a pack of wolves. I really don't think people really wait 30 minutes. They get up at noon, and use their arrogance to snag an open chair near the pool even if it's only been vacated for only a few minutes. It's happened more times than I care to mention.

Let me clarify that we never sit in the Serenity area.

Happened to you?

OK here it is. I'm getting sick of all the Chair Hog threads and want to start one that gives the other side of the story.

It's about people who legitimately get a chair on the deck by the pool, actually use the chairs, but have one of the chairs taken over by people who get up late, see a chair that has been vacated for a few minutes and try to just sit down and use it.

I have had people try to take my DW's chair when she got up for a few mintutes to go to the bathroom (but I was still in my chair beside her). It was like fighting off a pack of wolves. I really don't think people really wait 30 minutes. They get up at noon, and use their arrogance to snag an open chair near the pool even if it's only been vacated for only a few minutes. It's happened more times than I care to mention.

Happened to you?

It has happened to us in the past, but as long as you are nice - and do not snarl back at the rude people - they will move onto someone else that they can try to intimidate.

We usually take chairs by the pool around 9am, and vacate by 1pm, 2pm the latest.

And if it's REALLY important to someone to have chairs by the pool, they will get their butts up there early. Have they not heard of sleeping in their chair?

I am one of those late sleepers, but I have never taken a chair that I thought was someone else's nor was I rude. I will ask, "Is this chair taken". I also would never take someone's stuff off the chair either. :) I agree that if someone wants a chair that bad, get up early. I chose to sleep later. :eek:

Are these people actually like wolves fighting for a chair, or do they just ask if anyone is sitting in the chair? Just because they are arriving at the pool late does not mean they slept until noon. If I leave the pool to go play trivia or workout or anything else that is more than a few minutes, I give up my chair and look for a new chair when I return to the pool. If everyone only left their things on a chair when they were actually using the chair, this would not be an issue. There would be plently of chairs and you would know not to ask about a chair with a towel on it.

Happened to you?

Nope, never happened to me. The few times that I held a cruise mate's lounger so they could bring back a bite to eat, go to bathroom, drinks or whatever I have never had a problem with someone trying to take over the chair when I simply say "Sorry, this one is taken, my friend will be back in just a few minutes." Seems to work for me, nobody has ever tried to take over the chair.

Perhaps they've stood in the background somewhere and set their watches but they would soon learn that I was being truthful as my companion will show back up just as I said.

As most of these threads say, it's not the people leaving for a short time for comfort items that are the problem, it's the people that drop an item to mark their spot, leave and expect their chairs to be there hours later.

The solution is real simple...

They should just RENT the chairs for the day... better chairs=higher rates! Quantity discount, reserve 4, get one "free"!!

Better yet, those "perks" that they floated selling as a package a couple of months ago could include "guaranteed" Lido Deck chairs, 24/7!! :D

:eek:

Tom

. . . I have had people try to take my DW's chair when she got up for a few mintutes to go to the bathroom (but I was still in my chair beside her). It was like fighting off a pack of wolves.

Are these people actually like wolves fighting for a chair, or do they just ask if anyone is sitting in the chair?

They may exist, but I've never experienced the Carnival pool wolves.

augw1.jpg

why dont we just go back to the days of the titantic.. higher class cabin you book you get a better pool side chair.. someone in a suite can boot a inside cabin from a pool side chair.. lets see how this works? Fights? lawsuits? drama? You could even invite abc "what would you do show"

why dont we just go back to the days of the titantic.. higher class cabin you book you get a better pool side chair.. someone in a suite can boot a inside cabin from a pool side chair..

Celebrity already does this with their dining facilities. I don't see why carnival couldn't segregate the pools and or seating by cabin type.

Celebrity already does this with their dining facilities. I don't see why carnival couldn't segregate the pools and or seating by cabin type.

... and look at the Haven area on NCL!!!

I think that would FREAK some on Carnival totally out... it's tough enough standing in the Concierge line at Guest Relations (Services? or whatever it is now) and not be eyeballed or called out by people in the "regular" line... sadly, that's happened more than once.

I just don't think the average Carnival cruiser can wrap their heads around the idea that someone who pays more should/could get more!!

Just my opinion!

Tom

Happened to you?

I don't ask where they've been or what they are doing. I politely tell them "?" is sitting there. And they move on.

It's easy to tell if a chair is occupied. If someone's backside is in it, look for another. If a lost towel or book is on it, chair is available. Simple.

With my luck, a fight would ensue if I did this!!

One of my gifts from Cheryl over Christmas was a small pack of business cards. The only two words on them are:

Nice Parking

Well, I FINALLY got up the nerve to place one on a vehicle last weekend (looked around to make sure nobody was watching). This was at the complex where my office is (as I said, weekend - so not in full use). Someone had literally parked at an angle and intentionally took two full spots.

Withing 90 seconds, there was a knock on our door (locked for the weekend) and upon opening it a fellow thrust forward the card I had put on his windshield and said he did not appreciate that "attitude". (WOW)!! Turns out he is a tax attorney on a higher floor (3 story building) and saw me put it there. His story was that, due to weekend parking in the area for tourists and such, oftentimes there are no places left if a client of his comes in to see him. The client knows to call him, and he will come and free up the space.

So... there you go, my FIRST try and I was shot down in flames... :rolleyes:

Tom

Happened to you?

I don't ask where they've been or what they are doing. I politely tell them "?" is sitting there. And they move on.

My husband and I had this happen to us on the Carnival Dream in Sept 2011. It looked like it was going to start raining and we were getting hungry so we talked about going to the buffet. As I was standing up I felt something hit by back. I turned around to see this lady taking my towel off my chair and putting her towel on it. I was so shocked all I could do was look at her. She just glared at me. When my husband turned to look at her she said something like "are you leaving or not?" My husband said "I guess so". It was an awkward moment while I put on my cover up and packed my bag while and she stood there tapping her foot and glaring at us. As we entered the buffet the sky opened up and it was pouring. I told my husband "I guess we left at the right time!".

With my luck, a fight would ensue if I did this!!

One of my gifts from Cheryl over Christmas was a small pack of business cards. The only two words on them are:

Nice Parking

Well, I FINALLY got up the nerve to place one on a vehicle last weekend (looked around to make sure nobody was watching). This was at the complex where my office is (as I said, weekend - so not in full use). Someone had literally parked at an angle and intentionally took two full spots.

Withing 90 seconds, there was a knock on our door (locked for the weekend) and upon opening it a fellow thrust forward the card I had put on his windshield and said he did not appreciate that "attitude". (WOW)!! Turns out he is a tax attorney on a higher floor (3 story building) and saw me put it there. His story was that, due to weekend parking in the area for tourists and such, oftentimes there are no places left if a client of his comes in to see him. The client knows to call him, and he will come and free up the space.

So... there you go, my FIRST try and I was shot down in flames... :rolleyes:

Tom

I love the "nice parking" cards! I've scratched out a couple love notes to stupid drivers and left them on the windshields in parking lots. But yours sure got a response! At least he had a decent reason (still not fair to others).

I've seen folks park at an angle to deliberately take up two spaces and figured they were just trying to keep car from getting dinged by idiots opening doors. I've often wondered how many of them get "keyed" as a result of their actions.

my husband and i had this happen to us on the carnival dream in sept 2011. It looked like it was going to start raining and we were getting hungry so we talked about going to the buffet. As i was standing up i felt something hit by back. I turned around to see this lady taking my towel off my chair and putting her towel on it. I was so shocked all i could do was look at her. She just glared at me. When my husband turned to look at her she said something like "are you leaving or not?" my husband said "i guess so". It was an awkward moment while i put on my cover up and packed my bag while and she stood there tapping her foot and glaring at us. As we entered the buffet the sky opened up and it was pouring. I told my husband "i guess we left at the right time!".

rotflmao

It's easy to tell if a chair is occupied. If someone's backside is in it, look for another. If a lost towel or book is on it, chair is available. Simple.

sorry but i see it differently. if i want to spend 30 minutes with my children in the pool I expect my seat to be there when i get back. If i get up and take the kids to grab a burger and come back to my seats to eat i want my stuff left alone.

I do not believe in marking my spot at 630 in the morning but if i do get a good when i come down i down want late sleeping grandma holding a stop watch to my seats every time i get up either

sorry but i see it differently. if i want to spend 30 minutes with my children in the pool I expect my seat to be there when i get back. If i get up and take the kids to grab a burger and come back to my seats to eat i want my stuff left alone.

I do not believe in marking my spot at 630 in the morning but if i do get a good when i come down i down want late sleeping grandma holding a stop watch to my seats every time i get up either

My point is that if chairs were used ONLY for backsides, a chair would be available for folks who actually want to sit in them. You wouldn't have to worry about having a chair for your backside if folks didn't park their towels on them!

My wife and I never look for chairs by the pool... just to much noise for us. We usually look for a shady spot away from the pool and park ourselves there all day and take turns getting food, etc. Never had anyone ask about our mates chair.

Now I did observe other things around us like...

1) The couple who had 2 chairs in the shade AND 2 chairs in the sun. The pair not being used were being "hogged" by their towels.

2) Another time I saw someone saving a chair for their mate and we NEVER saw anyone sit in it all day. However, someone walked up and politely asked if they could use the chair and agreed they would leave when the person returns. The visitor sat in the chair for a couple hours and went on her way.

3) On yet another cruise, we arrived on deck at 9am and there were NO lounge chairs to be found ANYWHERE on the ship. We ended up spending the day in one of the lounges below deck.

4) Another time on the promanade deck there were a limited number of chairs available and someone was using one as a foot rest AND would not give up the chair!

The solution is real simple...

They should just RENT the chairs for the day... better chairs=higher rates! Quantity discount, reserve 4, get one "free"!!

Better yet, those "perks" that they floated selling as a package a couple of months ago could include "guaranteed" Lido Deck chairs, 24/7!! :D

:eek:

Tom

Tom,

Agreed 100%.

... and look at the Haven area on NCL!!!

I think that would FREAK some on Carnival totally out... it's tough enough standing in the Concierge line at Guest Relations (Services? or whatever it is now) and not be eyeballed or called out by people in the "regular" line... sadly, that's happened more than once.

I just don't think the average Carnival cruiser can wrap their heads around the idea that someone who pays more should/could get more!!

Just my opinion!

Tom

I visited the Concierge line twice last week. Both times I had to wait for first time cruisers. My wife went once and ended up behind one of the same two I had waited behind; she didn't wait though, she laid her card down when the woman told her she'd be a while so she might want to try the 'regular line.' Karen asked her how many cruises she had been on and she said 'this is my first.' :eek: They immediately waited on Karen when she laid her card down. :) While they were taking care of Karen the woman explained that she had mulltiple things that needed fixed was why she came to that line. Karen said that it's not for multiple problems but multiple cruises. :cool:

Rosa Parks must be rolling over in her grave...really? I don't think I want to cruise on any "segregated" ships...just...wow. How do you propose this works out in the event of an emergency? Does the upper class get off first??? Indeed.

Rosa Parks must be rolling over in her grave...really? I don't think I want to cruise on any "segregated" ships...just...wow. How do you propose this works out in the event of an emergency? Does the upper class get off first??? Indeed.

On Celebrity (on some ships at least) there is a special dining venue called "Blu", it's for the aqua class guests (these are not suites) LINK:

In addition AquaClass staterooms include:

Services

A Personal Spa Concierge to arrange AquaSpa® treatments

Daily delivery of bottled water and tea

Dining

Exclusive access to Blu, a specialty restaurant featuring "clean cuisine" that also serves complimentary breakfast every day

Upgraded room service menu

Amenities

Complimentary access to the Persian Garden and Relaxation Room (Relaxation Room on Solstice Class only)

Aromatherapy diffuser

Pillow menu

Additional bathroom amenities, including shower gel, facial spray and lip balm

Plush Frette® bathrobes

Slippers

Oversized 100% cotton bath towels

On-demand wellness programming including meditation and yoga

Stateroom Features

Hansgrohe® shower panel

Fog-free mirror

NCL is better known for granting perks (and some restaurants, even special pool areas) for suite guests. It's just above/beyond what the non-suite guests receive, and it's not an "in your face" thing for them to deal with.

Tom

why dont we just go back to the days of the titantic.. higher class cabin you book you get a better pool side chair.. someone in a suite can boot a inside cabin from a pool side chair.. lets see how this works? Fights? lawsuits? drama? You could even invite abc "what would you do show"

Royal Caribbean already does this for those in the Grand Suites and above on Voyager and Freedom class ships. Reserved chairs with gold lounge covers by the pool, reserved seating in the theater, reserved seating at the ice shows and at the buffet you can go into one of the alternative restaurants where the tables are set and waiters will get your drinks etc. No wandering around looking for a table. They do check for Gold Sea Pass Cards (given to suite guests only). At the theater the area is roped off and there is an attendant to let you in. At the alternative restaurants they check the cards, but by the second day the waiters know who you are, which table you prefer and what you like to drink.

You also have a Concierge Lounge that serves Continental breakfast, light lunch, appetizers and free booze every night before dinner. Your room key opens the lounge. Another nice perk is the priority tendering. The Concierge walks you down to the tender when you are ready to go and you jump the line. These are nice perks and one of the reasons we sail in a Grand Suite on RCI every year. The only perks we get on Carnival for sailing in a suite are because we are Platinum.

If you need help you can speak with the Concierge at his desk in the Concierge Lounge and not get nasty looks like you do in the Platinum line at guest services on Carnival. It is really a very different cruise experience than sailing in a regular cabin. DH won't go for anything less when on RCI. Once you do it it is impossible to go back. Yes there is a price to be paid - but if you book early you can often get a great deal. These are not cabins you can hope for last minute price breaks. Our cruise for Jan 2013 has been sold out of GS and above since early Feb. Before they sold out the GS hit a high of 2249 per person. We were thrilled - we only paid 1499 per person - about 500 more than a regular balcony.

For the same reason we stay on executive floors or in club level rooms in hotels. Great perks at some of the AI resorts for the Club level guests too like private restaurants and private pools. It can make even a huge resort seem very intimate.

My husband and I had this happen to us on the Carnival Dream in Sept 2011. It looked like it was going to start raining and we were getting hungry so we talked about going to the buffet. As I was standing up I felt something hit by back. I turned around to see this lady taking my towel off my chair and putting her towel on it. I was so shocked all I could do was look at her. She just glared at me. When my husband turned to look at her she said something like "are you leaving or not?" My husband said "I guess so". It was an awkward moment while I put on my cover up and packed my bag while and she stood there tapping her foot and glaring at us. As we entered the buffet the sky opened up and it was pouring. I told my husband "I guess we left at the right time!".

Karma, gotta love it! :)

Archived