Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old October 20th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Why don't you check out some of the beaches that offer snorkeling or scuba from the shore/beach? Snorkeling in many places from a beach club is go snorkling when you want. Sooo.. One plays with baby while the other swims and then switch. Im actually researching this now too, cause we're taking our lo on his 3rd cruise in a few months. We travelled to the eastern with lo when he was 10.5 months.. Took him to the beaches, around the ports... You name it. A balcony room is a must though.. While baby was napping during the day, Set up a baby sound monitor, and was able to read on the balcony.. It was heaven!

I will say this... We took our lo EVERYWHERE with us.. And still do. Having a baby changes everything (remember the commercial from years ago??). We still have fun on cruises now, but it's a totally different kind of fun than before. Take your clues from lo...

There was no way ours would've been okay at 10.5 months hanging out on a snorkeling boat with me while my dh swam. So we didn't do that. Now that he's older, we're able to do other things we couldn't do last time we went cruising as a family. I'm sure that the next time after that, they'll be even MORE stuff we can do, and so on and so on.
Freedom of the Seas - 4/11/2010 (Brought back a Lil Souvenir)
Carnival Dream - 10/29/2011 (Lil Souvenir's 1st Halloween)
Carnival Fascination - 1/19/2013 (Surprise Christmas Present)
Carnival Glory - 3/2/2014 (Happy Birth-Annivers-Mas)
Carnival Liberty- 8/30/2014. (The Super Secret Birthday Present)

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 20th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have a water baby, we actually had rangers come out and "assist" us because they heard her screaming at 18 months old while kayaking. The rangers had a laugh when the saw what was happening, she was in her life jacket, swift water throw rope attached to me in slow moving flat water. She climbed out of the kayak and was swimming along side as I paddled very slowly, the screaming was every time I tried to remove her from the water to bring her back into the kayak.

I can see from your post you and your wife has a passion and now a new little one! I share the above story to show that your little one can and will share in your adventures. I do feel that 6 months old is too young to be on a snorkel boat and I would not leave a child that young on board the ship without an adult.

If you do decide to leave little one on board please only book a ship excursion. If you book private in that situation the ship has no way to reach you should something happen to your little one.

I would recommend if you want to bring little one consider also bringing grandma or grandpa to watch little one.

What is your purpose/goals for this cruise? A family time experience, deep sea snorkel and dive trip, combination of both? Only you can make a decision for your family. My daughter is almost three and is ready for her own kayak, still attached to mom but with her own paddle and boat. She has her own life vest and has been in swimming lessons and pools at least three times a week. At 21 months she took her first cruise, she wore her life jacket and swam with me to see the fish, she had a snorkel mask but no snorkel. Instead she put her head in the water and blew bubbles or held her breath. At 3 years old on our January cruise she will have her mask and a snorkel.

You will get there as a family to enjoy these experiences but it is a gradual and often slow process. You as the parent can only go/do as much as the little one is capable of at a given point in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Dreaming of a 2015-2016 European Cruise - Baltic Capitol

Old October 21st, 2013, 12:51 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkygirl View Post
I have a water baby, we actually had rangers come out and "assist" us because they heard her screaming at 18 months old while kayaking. The rangers had a laugh when the saw what was happening, she was in her life jacket, swift water throw rope attached to me in slow moving flat water. She climbed out of the kayak and was swimming along side as I paddled very slowly, the screaming was every time I tried to remove her from the water to bring her back into the kayak.
You reminded me of a story - when my daughter was around 3 YO we were in a store one day and I told her I was going to beat her to the door. She immediately started running through the store yelling "don't beat me, don't beat me!" I chose my words more carefully after that .
Ocean Princess - Western Mediterranean - 10/10 -- Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 3/10 -- Island Princess - Coastal 5/09 -- Sapphire Princess - New Zealand/Australia 3/08 -- Sapphire Princess - Coastal 5/07 -- Tahitian Princess - Tahiti/Hawaii 7/06 -- Island Princess - Coastal/Alaska 5/06 -- Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean 9/04 -- Sun Princess - Coastal - 4/04 -- Sun Princess - Panama Canal - 4/01 -- Carnival - Caribbean - 11/00 -- Royal Caribbean - Caribbean 7/99 -- Grand Princess - Caribbean - 11/98 -- Pacific Princess - Mediterranean - 11/97 -- Sun Princess - Western Caribbean - 12/95 -- Regal Princess - Western Caribbean - 11/94 -- Dawn Princess - Mexico 5/93 -- Dawn Princess - Mexico 4/93 -- Fair Princess - Mexico - 12/92 -- Regal Princess - Alaska - 5/92 -- Regal Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 8/91 -- Fairsky - Western Caribbean - 4/87 -- Fairwind - Eastern Caribbean - 4/84

Old October 21st, 2013, 01:42 PM
5,000+ Club

Is there a CC thread for LO stories? They certainly do make me smile. I hope everyone is writing these treasures down.