TLCOhio re: Madagascar

kaisatsu

Appreciate so super much this follow-up info and ideas for Madagascar. Am flying back now from Colorado Springs to DFW and then to Columbus. I shared your post with my wife. It really helps build the "excitement" for us.

For our Mombasa to Cape Town cruise, the timing and stops are:

Mar 26 2015, Thursday, Dzaoudzi, Mayotte 8 AM-6 PM, near Madagascar;

Mar 27 2015, Friday, Nosy Be/Komba, Madagascar, 8 AM-5 PM

Mar 28 2015, Saturday, Mahajanga, Madagascar, 8 AM-1 PM

Wish there was more time for these stops in and around Madagascar. Where did you do your snorkeling? Love more tips, ideas, suggestions, etc. Did you do or visit Zanzibar, Tanzania? Any tips for South Africa or Kenya?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 176,927 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I'm replying over here so that we don't hijack the thread in the Northern Europe board! ;)

We went snorkeling at Nosy Tanikely, near Nosy Be. We booked with an operator right at the pier and took a speed boat over to Nosy Tanikely.

IMG_1416.jpg

The area is preserved, and at the time there were ropes and buoys marking off the beach and reef. A lot of people made a cursory swim near the shore, but the beach is a very gentle slope, and the reefs were out where the water was around 8 or 10 ft deep. When we visited, there was some cloudiness at the surface, which affected the visibility, but if you dove down a few feet it was crystal clear and absolutely incredible. Lots of varieties of coral, and beautiful fish. There was so much life that it was like being inside a zoo aquarium.

We only spent about 90-120 minutes there, and then we sailed on to Nosy Komba. The snorkeling was definitely the highlight, although we did get to see a few lemurs that they feed at a small park on Nosy Komba. This would have been more exciting if our cruise didn't also visit Toamasina (Tamatave), where there's quite a large lemur sanctuary. But since this was our first port in Madagascar, even just a few lemurs in a protected park was very exciting:

IMG_1436.jpg

Since ours was an Indian Ocean cruise, Nosy Be was our only port on the west coast, and the next day we called at Antsiranana (aka Diego Suarez) and arranged a private day trip with another couple from our ship to visit Ankarana National Park for a day hike. All park visitors must be accompanied by a park ranger, but it was easy and affordable to arrange that when we arrived. Since it was quite a long drive from the port, we were at the park during mid-day, and our park guide warned us that most lemurs would be sleeping due to the heat. He did point out one asleep up in a tree. However, we were extremely lucky and during our hike we happened on a group of very young crown lemurs who were not only awake and active, but very curious about us!

IMG_1604.jpg

Our third Madagascar port was Toamasina, where we visited the lemur sanctuary. Although the wild lemurs were a hard act to follow, this was still extremely interesting, since there is such a variety, and it was a chance to see so many of them in one place. In addition to caged lemurs recovering from injuries and illnesses, they also have a community of lemurs that are fed by the center but free to roam wherever they like.

I found that the Lonely Planet Madagascar was reasonably helpful for planning, and I just went to the website and bought the PDFs for the individual chapters we needed according to our port calls.

There are a few more of my photos from our port calls here if you're interested.

As for your other ports, the only place I've had the chance to visit is South Africa, and that was on a camping road trip, so I probably don't have a lot of help there!

I'm replying over here so that we don't hijack the thread in the Northern Europe board! ;)

We went snorkeling at Nosy Tanikely, near Nosy Be. We booked with an operator right at the pier and took a speed boat over to Nosy Tanikely.

The area is preserved, and at the time there were ropes and buoys marking off the beach and reef. A lot of people made a cursory swim near the shore, but the beach is a very gentle slope, and the reefs were out where the water was around 8 or 10 ft deep. When we visited, there was some cloudiness at the surface, which affected the visibility, but if you dove down a few feet it was crystal clear and absolutely incredible. Lots of varieties of coral, and beautiful fish. There was so much life that it was like being inside a zoo aquarium.

We only spent about 90-120 minutes there, and then we sailed on to Nosy Komba. The snorkeling was definitely the highlight, although we did get to see a few lemurs that they feed at a small park on Nosy Komba. This would have been more exciting if our cruise didn't also visit Toamasina (Tamatave), where there's quite a large lemur sanctuary. But since this was our first port in Madagascar, even just a few lemurs in a protected park was very exciting:

Since ours was an Indian Ocean cruise, Nosy Be was our only port on the west coast, and the next day we called at Antsiranana (aka Diego Suarez) and arranged a private day trip with another couple from our ship to visit Ankarana National Park for a day hike. All park visitors must be accompanied by a park ranger, but it was easy and affordable to arrange that when we arrived. Since it was quite a long drive from the port, we were at the park during mid-day, and our park guide warned us that most lemurs would be sleeping due to the heat. He did point out one asleep up in a tree. However, we were extremely lucky and during our hike we happened on a group of very young crown lemurs who were not only awake and active, but very curious about us!

Our third Madagascar port was Toamasina, where we visited the lemur sanctuary. Although the wild lemurs were a hard act to follow, this was still extremely interesting, since there is such a variety, and it was a chance to see so many of them in one place. In addition to caged lemurs recovering from injuries and illnesses, they also have a community of lemurs that are fed by the center but free to roam wherever they like.

I found that the Lonely Planet Madagascar was reasonably helpful for planning, and I just went to the website and bought the PDFs for the individual chapters we needed according to our port calls.

There are a few more of my photos from our port calls if you're interested.

As for your other ports, the only place I've had the chance to visit is South Africa, and that was on a camping road trip, so I probably don't have a lot of help there!

Appreciate so much, Meg, this great, added info from your adventures in Africa. Plus, the exciting pictures!! Very helpful.

We are having lunch today with the former Columbus Zoo Director to pick his brain for ideas on this amazing part of the world. He has visited Africa countless times and worked closely with Jack Hanna to make our Columbus Zoo one of the best in the U.S. Will share some of my notes from our luncheon here on one of these Africa links after that luncheon.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 66,754 views for this fun posting.

• 1 month later...

Terry, We are on the Crystal Serenity and will be in Madagascar on March 23 and 25, 2015. What cruise are you on? Our ports of call are Ambodifotatra and Taolanaro. We're looking forward to an excursion to Nahampoana Private Reserve to see the lemurs.

Would be interested to know what information you may have gleaned from the zoo director. While we like to walk around our Cleveland zoo, I love the Columbus zoo for the grandkids. So much easier for them to see the animals.

Edited by Wandering Writer
forgot to subscribe

Terry, We are on the Crystal Serenity and will be in Madagascar on March 23 and 25, 2015. What cruise are you on? Our ports of call are Ambodifotatra and Taolanaro. We're looking forward to an excursion to Nahampoana Private Reserve to see the lemurs. Would be interested to know what information you may have gleaned from the zoo director. While we like to walk around our Cleveland zoo, I love the Columbus zoo for the grandkids. So much easier for them to see the animals.

Appreciate this follow-up and questions from our Cleveland area friend. Lots to share with Karen!!!

1. I looked at your website and did a little other digging. Saw that you were at Ohio State during the late 1960's when I attended, also. Know the Cuyahoga-Summit County areas well, including Independence community where you live. Nice background, family, writing, travel experiences, etc.

2. Your Crystal Serenity cruise segment from western Australia is a part of their 2015 World Cruise. Know well and talk frequently with Keith who will be doing that full cruise and who does great blog postings while doing these long sailings over the years. We considered booking this sailing, but it was just too, too long for our interests with all of those sea days crossing the Indian Ocean. Have you read Keith's frequent postings on the Crystal CC Boards?

3. Our 2015 Africa plans have been "adjusted" during the past few weeks. My wife has been very concerned about the health and safety issues there in that part of the world. Part of the current "health" issue is focused more in western Africa, but we do not know where this whole challenge is headed and going. Africa, in general, has serious health care infrastructure short-comings. Plus, Kenya, in part, has had some major "safety/security" questions. We would have had to board our ship in Mombasa and that was part of the big question mark. Your cruise does not stop at Mombasa for reasons. Things are better and safer in and around South Africa, Botswana, etc. We still want to go there, but we will have to aim for 2016.

4. We have shifted to doing a Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Silver Cloud Amazon-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days with Silversea. This includes a large amount of time sailing up and around the amazing Amazon River of Brazil. We have never been to those unique parts of the world and it is fun doing that future research!! Much shorter and easier air flights getting to Barbados and coming home from San Juan. Plus, we'll escape the Midwest cold at the right, best time!!

5. Yes, have lots of key information from the former Columbus Zoo Director. Have those detailed notes and will try to get those typed up. Great background that he shared with us. Look forward to sharing that information on these CC Boards. Just been busy shifting things to our Amazon-Carib adventure, plus work and family duties.

Might try to shoot you an e-mail and chat additionally off-line, if that's of interest.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 76,604 views for this fun posting.