Morning in NYC

Sstover1117

Hi- I will be sailing on the NCL Gem out of NYC in November. I am looking for some information on what to do with our morning before embarkation. We will be driving into NYC and parking at the pier for the cruise. Where could we go to spend a couple of hours just walking the streets, taking in the sights, possibly some shopping and breakfast?

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is right next to the cruise ship piers in Manhattan. In the photo below, the Intrepid is the gray aircraft carrier at the bottom. At the top of the photo are a couple of cruise ships at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal piers.

USS-Intrepid_9564.jpg

There's all the obvious midtown tourist attractions. But, if you are willing to travel a bit away from the cruise port (but still on the westside of Manhattan), I really recommend checking out the High Line park which has great city views and also maybe a stop at Chelsea Market for some shopping.

http://www.thehighline.org/

http://www.chelseamarket.com/

Welcome to Cruise Critic Sstover1117.

Rockefeller Center is nearby on 50th between 5th and 6th. Watch ice skaters in the famous rink, browse in the shops along the Channel Gardens or go up to the Observation Deck on the 70th floor.

Saks Fifth Avenue is nearby, plus many other shops and St. Patrick's Cathedral. Make sure you get back to the ship at least an hour and a half before departure.

Jonathan

Hi- I will be sailing on the NCL Gem out of NYC in November. I am looking for some information on what to do with our morning before embarkation. We will be driving into NYC and parking at the pier for the cruise. Where could we go to spend a couple of hours just walking the streets, taking in the sights, possibly some shopping and breakfast?

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We flew into JFK on a red-eye flight and were looking for something to do before we could check into our hotel. Here's where we went for breakfast (I had seen this little gem of a restaurant on TripAdvisor) -- Ellen's Stardust Diner. It's a little bit of Broadway, with future Broadway stars, along with a great breakfast. And, they open early. The restaurant is at the corner of Broadway and 51st Street.

From there, you're just a few blocks from Rockefeller Center, which, as cruiserking recommended, is a wonderful place to people watch, and the view from the Observation Deck is amazing. You probably won't have a lot of time after that to do much more.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often