Grand Cayman Tender but yet in port?

monctonguy

I hate to start a new thread but I am even more confused after reading posts here....lol

I am on Brilliance of the Seas in Cayman Islands on Feb 25th. It says I am tendered, yet its the port of Georgetown. But then I read something about it being at Grand Cayman, Cayman islands.

Is this all the same places? And why would it tender at port?

Can anyone who has done this explain how this all works. I have done many cruises all over and this has to be the most confusing one yet trying to plan anything for this port.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

I hate to start a new thread but I am even more confused after reading posts here....lol

I am on Brilliance of the Seas in Cayman Islands on Feb 25th. It says I am tendered, yet its the port of Georgetown. But then I read something about it being at Grand Cayman, Cayman islands.

Is this all the same places? And why would it tender at port?

Can anyone who has done this explain how this all works. I have done many cruises all over and this has to be the most confusing one yet trying to plan anything for this port.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

It's all the same, and it is a tender port....exclusively. No dock is available for a cruise ship of any size. Too shallow.

And there is little interest in changing this status.

The country "Cayman Islands" is made up of three islands.

"Grand Cayman" is the island (of the three) that the cruise ships visit.

"George Town" is the name of the city (port) that cruise ships arrive at when they visit Grand Cayman.

Ships anchor off the coast and passengers "tender" in small boats (or the ship's lifeboats) the short distance to shore, where they can wander around downtown George Town on foot or take buses/taxis to beaches or attractions elsewhere on Grand Cayman.

Questions?

It's all the same, and it is a tender port....exclusively. No dock is available for a cruise ship of any size. Too shallow.

And there is little interest in changing this status.

They tender because there is a reef that would have to be destroyed if they build a dock. And the current government is proposing to destroy the reef and build a dock. That does not mean it will happen but that is the plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

When does the last tender leave at the end of the day? If we are "in port" until 6:00, what time should our absolute deadline be for getting on a tender back to ship? We arrive too late for most of the morning trips to Stingray City but I am nervous about taking an afternoon trip and getting back in time to tender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HINT

Find Grand Cayman using Google Earth

you'll see in the imagery currently being used four cruise ships sitting just off town ... the main pier which is where the tenders usually drop/pickup ... and if you zoom in can see some of the highlights places downtown like M'ville, Hard Rock, Paradise and Eden Rock . . .

CaymanHardRock_zpsb906a0d2.jpg

This is not strictly true. My next cruise starts in Grand Cayman on 28 February and our ship is most definitely berthing alongside. It's called the Serenissima and has a total capacity of about 100 passengers. These small ships can go anywhere and that's why I avoid large vessels.

http://www.noble-caledonia.co.uk/vessels/sea/serenissima/

Edited by Fletcher

When does the last tender leave at the end of the day? If we are "in port" until 6:00, what time should our absolute deadline be for getting on a tender back to ship? We arrive too late for most of the morning trips to Stingray City but I am nervous about taking an afternoon trip and getting back in time to tender.

The last tender usually leaves the port about 30 - 45 minutes before your ship's departure time. It should specify "last tender time" on your Daily News Sheet delivered to your room the night before. ** Also: Make sure you stay on ship time!! If your cruise originally departs from somewhere in the Central Time Zone (TX, LA), then "in port" until 6pm is really 7pm in Grand Cayman, since they are on Eastern Time Zone. If your cruise departs from FL, then you're good - it's all Eastern Time Zone. ( I always just keep my watch set to ship time. Sometimes smart phones will change times with your location even if in Airplane Mode ) Just communicate with your tour people - they'll want to make sure to get you back on time.

As 'Needtovacation' pointed out it will be in your daily news sheet but you will also see a sign posted as you swipe your card and get off the ship. It always indicates latest time for staff and latest time for passengers.