Cruzan Rum Tour

Mangomom77

We just returned home from our cruise and I wanted to share some important info for those planning to visit the Cruzan Rum Factory on St. Croix. We took the ship excursion which was awesome. I definitely recommend it. The only thing is that the ship does not tell you is that the factory is a credit card only facility. They DO NOT except cash for anything. We asked why this info was not shared with us. Were told that the ships are aware of this policy but that they do not tell their passengers. It was a huge disappointment to us as we had planned to purchase the rum that we cannot get here at home. Not to mention the hat and t-shirt my husband had been hoping to bring home. It is our personal practice to travel with cash when we go shopping on the islands.

Thanks for the info! Can you describe the tour. How fun was it.. How much rum did you get to drink?

It was pretty much like any other rum factory. They walk you thru the process where you get to see the huge drums of molasses and yeast doing its thing. By the way, the molasses smelled AWESOME! Then you get to go in the barrel storage area. They give you 2 tickets good for either rum punch or pina coladas. The punch was too strong for me. You are able to stand at the bar and partake in as many sample shots as you want. My hubby loved this part. Our tour guide was Valerie, she was awesome, too. I definitely recommend going, just remember to take your credit card if you want to purchase anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know how many bottles of rum may be purchased and taken back on board Celebrity? I'm pretty sure they will take it from you when returning to the ship and give it back when debarking, but we don't want to buy more than they allow. Thanks

Anyone know how many bottles of rum may be purchased and taken back on board Celebrity? I'm pretty sure they will take it from you when returning to the ship and give it back when debarking, but we don't want to buy more than they allow. Thanks

I can't speak for celebrity specifically but the standard limit for air travel and boats is 6 liters per person.

• 1 month later...

We will be down there soon. I heard about going to this Rum factory. I'm not sure that Royal Caribbean has an excursion for this. I haven't seen it yet. Is this something where we can get off the ship and just find a taxi and go?

We took the Rum Tour on our own, when we rented the car for the day on the island. It is definitely a fun tour as it was only $8 per person and it included two drinks. Where else can you go and get two drinks for $8. You can see my post with pictures from the tour. This was a great island to visit with beautiful beaches. Very easy to drive around. Get out and explore, totally different than from St Thomas.

http://winenchocolate.com/our-day-in-st-croix/

• 3 weeks later...

Tours are about 25 minutes every 1/2 hour. At the end you get 2 mixed cocktails and 4 tastings. Learned a bunch of stuff but that is what I like in a tour.

As the the temp is is HOT right now. We are on the east end and the wind is comping from the south so not as nice on the north facing deck. Head back on Sat.

CEH

Tours are about 25 minutes every 1/2 hour. At the end you get 2 mixed cocktails and 4 tastings. Learned a bunch of stuff but that is what I like in a tour.

As the the temp is is HOT right now. We are on the east end and the wind is comping from the south so not as nice on the north facing deck. Head back on Sat.

CEH

You ever going to come join me for a beer out west before you go?

While you are allowed to bring back five ltrs of liquor plus one made in the U.S. Virgin Island (total six per person) as long as you visit a USVI. I usually buy 13 Ltr bottles for my DW and myself. I do declare the extra bottle but because the paperwork is more work than the duty they can collect, I've never been charged duty on the 13th ltr. :D

• 1 month later...
We took the Rum Tour on our own, when we rented the car for the day on the island. It is definitely a fun tour as it was only $8 per person and it included two drinks. Where else can you go and get two drinks for $8. You can see my post with pictures from the tour. This was a great island to visit with beautiful beaches. Very easy to drive around. Get out and explore, totally different than from St Thomas.

http://winenchocolate.com/our-day-in-st-croix/

Hi, i enjoyed your review of your day in St Croix -- for your rental car, would it hold 4 people? and do you remember if they had options to rent a larger van?

thank you

• 2 weeks later...