Need advice on Penguin excursions

cruiser karen

I keep researching but still can't decide where the best place would be to see penguins on our BA to Valparaiso cruise early next Febuary on the NCL Sun. Punta Tombo sounds interesting, but it seems like it is a very long, boring ride to get there and you would be a long way from the ship if anything goes wrong (the ship excursions are a lot more expensive). I also heard it can be crowded with tourists. On Stanley Island I could have a more fun ride to see them and see a bigger variety of penguins, but ships often miss that port and I am having problems finding private tour companies there. We will have lots of time in Punta Arenas, but have heard you can't see them well there. Could anyone who has been to this area give me some advice?

Also, If we don't go to Punta Tombo, is Penescula Valdes nice? Will you see be able to get very close to the wildlife there? Is it a long ride also? Is there anything else to see at Puerta Madryn? I would really appreciate any advice available on this forum.

At Puerto Madryn, we chose to go to Peninsula Valdez (on an all-day ship's tour) rather than Punta Tombo, in part on the expectation that we might see a greater variety of wildlife at Pen. Valdez. The excursion was long but we were very pleased. Saw hundreds of Magellanic Penguins -- fewer than would be seen at Punta Tombo, but enough. The walkway through the colony brought us very close to chicks and some adults. Also saw a good many other bird species, including rheas, plus sea lions, southern fur seals, armadillo, numerous guanacos, etc.

We got to the Falklands (Stanley) on 1 of 2 cruises where that was a scheduled stop -- it was too windy on the 2nd cruise. We took a half-day ship's tour to Bluff Cove, where one sees large numbers of Gentoo Penguins (very close), a few King Penguins (medium distance), and various other waterbirds. We enjoyed the rough off-road trip to Bluff Cove. I also did a walking tour along the shore near Stanley, including a visit to a Magellanic Penguin colony; that could be visited on your own by taxi. The town of Stanley is also interesting -- no need for a tour; easy to do on foot from the tender dock. If we had been able to visit on the 2nd cruise, I planned to go on a Battlefield Tour, and was disappointed to miss that.

During both our stops in Ushuaia, I went on the approx. 3 hr small-boat tour in Beagle Channel -- excellent for waterbirds, sea lions, and scenery. On the one occasion when the channel was relatively calm, we could see some Magellanic Penguins in the water. We chose not to visit a penguin colony from Ushuaia. The town is interesting, as are land excursions to the National Park. We did not get up into the mountains behind Ushuaia, but understand that is a good option as well.

We got to Punta Arenas on one of our two cruises, and took a half-day ship's tour by bus to the Otway Sound penguin colony. It was fairly late in February, and not many penguins (Magellanic) were present; we estimated only about 35 visible. If you visit one of the major colonies during your stop at Puerto Madryn, I would plan to do something different when at Punta Arenas -- especially if you are also planning to visit a penguin colony in the Falklands if you are fortunate and able to get to shore there.

John

Edited by J-D

I'm no expert but my understanding is that timing is all important. We were in Punta Arenas 24th December last year and did a ship's excursion to Magdalena Island and experienced literally thousands of penguins (Magellenic penguins) and also other birdlife - it was a great experience and all up close and personal - walking along the path with you etc. Then we were on The Falklands on 27th December and also did a ship's excursion to Bluff Cove. Once again a great experience - not as many penguins (Gentoo penguins) - probably 500 or so. Also about a dozen King Penguins - once again up close and personal but they do control things a little more and are very careful not to let you interfere in any way particularly with the King Penguins.

They were slightly different experiences but both were great. Seeing the King Penguins waddling around so majestically was quite a special thing.:)

I think I set this up so it is viewable by the public.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/114343942867212115997/albums/6136510068557800801

A few pictures of our tour in Punta Arenas. 4 February 2011. The reserve is near some sort of mine tailings "mountain" that the condors nest in; so there are a couple of pics of the condors also. Excuse the quality, I just was usning my phone.

If you can't see photos please post and I'll retry.:o

Greg

1150249471_PuntaArenas1-015.jpg.23cbad0bf773fc02e27183fe36aa4927.jpg

We were on a B2B2B this spring, which included stops at Ushuaia, Puerto Madryn and the Falklands among others.

Regarding penguin tours we enjoyed our day on the Valdes Peninsula but probably saw the fewest penguins that day (but did see a great number of other animals and birds so it was a very, very worthwhile trip). In the Falklands we went out to Volunteer Point with Patrick Watts, and while we saw a great number of penguins the best penguin tour we did was at Ushuaia where we used Pira Tours to go out to the penguin colony at Harberton Ranch. Since both the first and second legs of this series of cruises called at Ushuaia we actually did the Harberton Ranch trip twice with Pira Tours and were very pleased both times. We found the Pira Tours trip to be a quality experience (about twenty-five people with a knowledgeable bird guide take a covered Zodiak over to an island which has, at its peak, 20,000 penguins) as compared to Volunteer Point which, while we saw a great quantity of penguins, was not the greatest birding experience (but was quite the 4-wheel drive experience).

We were scheduled to stop at Punta Arenas on the second leg, but the port was closed due to high winds, so obviously have no comments or observations.

Falklands -

You can only do ship's tours to Bluff Cove.

Gypsy Cove has Magellanic penguins, and is accessible by walking, taxi or shuttle bus. 4 miles from Stanley.

Murrell Farm, near Stanley, has Magellanic, Rockhopper, and Gentoo enguins. Sometimes Macaroni, and whales! Private tours through the owners - Adrian and Lisa Lowe.

Volunteer Point - Often thought to be the jewel in the crown, with about 400 breeding King Penguins, plus Gentoo, and Magellanic. Long day trip over rough ground in 4x4 vehicle. Private and ship tours. Expensive.

Other outlying islands have fantastic wildlife, (albatrosses, orcas, elephant seals, etc etc) but only seen via zodiac or small plane trips. That is, stay a week on the Falklands or visit by small cruise/expedition ship.

We didn't call at the Falklands but we went into Puerto Madryn and Punta Arenas and without doubt Puerto Madryn was the better experience. There were literally thousands of penguins as far as the eye could see and they were close enough for us to touch (but of course we didn't do this!). The people who went on the tour to Otway Sound were very disappointed. If you look at my review on our 69 day trip to South America you'll see more of my photos but here's a taster.

16471879953_86194cede9_b.jpg

17091955915_29c38bf4cf_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

In response to an inquiry about Volunteer Point, Falkland Is. in March, I received this from Patrick Watts (pwatts@horizon.co.fk):

"The KING and Gentoo penguins never migrate from the Falklands. They are here all-the-year-round. There will be thousands of both species at Volunteer Point in March.

The Magellanic penguins do migrate and usually leave at the end of March or early April, but they are fairly insignificant compared to the majestic KINGS and Gentoo."

Northern Aurora -

You made a reference to the 4x4 ride in the Falklands - how rough was the zodiac ride from Ushuaia? Would you recommend it for someone with back issues?

Northern Aurora -

You made a reference to the 4x4 ride in the Falklands - how rough was the zodiac ride from Ushuaia? Would you recommend it for someone with back issues?

The zodiac ride was ten or fifteen minutes in length, and both times that we did it we didn't find it rough. There is a dock at the Harberton Ranch, and once you reach the island they have a small step stool to assist getting in and out -- just sit on the side of the zodiac and scoot your legs over to stand on the step stool. The bird guides provide assistance. And the zodiac is covered.

• 2 weeks later...
I keep researching but still can't decide where the best place would be to see penguins on our BA to Valparaiso cruise early next Febuary on the NCL Sun. Punta Tombo sounds interesting, but it seems like it is a very long, boring ride to get there and you would be a long way from the ship if anything goes wrong (the ship excursions are a lot more expensive). I also heard it can be crowded with tourists. On Stanley Island I could have a more fun ride to see them and see a bigger variety of penguins, but ships often miss that port and I am having problems finding private tour companies there. We will have lots of time in Punta Arenas, but have heard you can't see them well there. Could anyone who has been to this area give me some advice?

Also, If we don't go to Punta Tombo, is Penescula Valdes nice? Will you see be able to get very close to the wildlife there? Is it a long ride also? Is there anything else to see at Puerta Madryn? I would really appreciate any advice available on this forum.

We did three penguin tours on our two-week loop from BA. Ushaia, Stanley/Volunteer Point and Madryn/Tombo. Volunteer Point was great, organized through Estancia Tours, they were super to deal with. Pira Tours in Ushuaia; very good tour. Madryn/Tombo, so-so. Here we did not walk with penguins, we observed penguins. More like being in a large zoo. We did the Van rather than Bus option for our ship's tour, got there before the rush hour. Long ride but good roads, no drama. Still too many people. But if you Really want to see penguins, Falklands and Ushuaia may be unreachable due to weather, and Tombo may be worthwhile just to be sure. If/when we go back we will go to Valdes rather than Tombo.

Check the photos in the Argentina gallery of my website:

photos.stanhalpin.com

Does anyone who took a tour from this company in Ushuaia have the secret as to how to get them to respond to inquiries? I gave emailed them several times and filled out their forms to no avail. Several others on our cruise have also tried to reach them by email with no response. Any tips on how to get them to respond? I have not tried calling them yet but it is troubling that they just ignore inquiries. If the tour did not look so outstanding and because they get good reviews I am not willing to give up yet.

Any advice would be welcome.

Does anyone who took a tour from this company in Ushuaia have the secret as to how to get them to respond to inquiries? I gave emailed them several times and filled out their forms to no avail. Several others on our cruise have also tried to reach them by email with no response. Any tips on how to get them to respond? I have not tried calling them yet but it is troubling that they just ignore inquiries. If the tour did not look so outstanding and because they get good reviews I am not willing to give up yet.

I do seem to recall that they were a bit slow. Another passenger on the Roll Call did the initial contact,provided our names, then we each paid directly. Bob did have a bit of back-and-forth with them before we were confirmed. Part of that was that they wanted a minimum of 10 people to schedule the tour. But then they combined our 10 with another 10 on one bus, so I am not sure all what was going on. Logistics, timeliness? Maybe not the best. Driver, locale, opportunity? Absolutely first rate.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

FWIW, here are a few shots of the little beasties...

Ushuaia - the rookery seen from the boat as we approached:

p590235446-3.jpg

Ushuaia -

p603008095-4.jpg

Volunteer Point -

p805617384-3.jpg

Volunteer Point -

p836254288-3.jpg

And a shot pf the Beagle Channel from a stop along the way near Ushuaia; it is not ALL about just penguins...

p113976928-3.jpg

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

Outstanding! Now I sm really jealous! :mad:

Is volunteer point at Pt Stanley? Unfortunately we are not going there. For me the cruise IS all about penguins. That is the number one objective for taking it.

OK, I haven't gone back to reconnect with your itinerary. But I think you are BA to Valparaiso? Then Madryn is your first opportunity for penguins. Choice is to go south 1.5-2 hours to Punto Tombo where you WILL see many Magellenic penguins. Thousands upon thousands upon thousands of them. Maybe I was burned out by the time we got there, our third penguin stop: Usuaia, Volunteer Point (Port Stanley, Falklands), and then Tombo. As I have said before, it seemed more like a zoo visit than a chance to "see the penguins." But this might be your only chance, depending on weather etc. and it is worth taking. You could also go north from Madryn, primary objective is Sea Lions and other critters but I understand that penguins are part of the scene there as well. Just not THE scene as they are at Tombo.

A few Tombo shots:

p958740106-3.jpg

p1198867731-3.jpg

In the following, note the people on the boardwalk on the center left edge of the photo. The boardwalk bends around to the viewing platform I am standing on for this shot.

p1198863407-4.jpg

And my favorite, a Guanaco...

p636977538-3.jpg

We did the Volunteer Point tour this year in Feb., using Patrick Watts -- he had a team of 5-6 vehicles , 4 per 4x4. The drive was long, but amazing. They have enough vehicles, that if one got stuck, the others could pull it out. All vehicles caravan from the port -- off road for half the distance. I can't describe the view once we got there, a thousand penguins? 3 types, many body surfing on the beautiful beach. If you have back problems, take a pass , we found it fun.

We talked with others who took the closer excursions, and they saw very few penguins, and not within touching distance as Volunteer Point.

Patrick was paid the day of the tour -- if the ship doesn't make it, you aren't out of pocket for anything. I highly recommend him . I think you should be able to find him by a google search. The tours by Patrick and Estancia are very aware of the ship's schedule, I don't think it's much of a risk of missing the last tender.