Norwegian Getaway Vs Royal Carib. Oasis of the Seas

Thinking of a cruise next summer for husband and I and two kids - 21 and 23.

Never cruised before and thinking of Fort Lauderdale to Eastern Caribbean.

Royal Carib Oasis or Allure of the Seas have the surfing simulator and things that may keep my 21 year old Active son busy.

Was also considering Norwegian getaway supposed to be like Breakaway. Has water slides but no surf simulator, not quite as large and the less formal dining seems good.

Has anyone done these ships or Breakaway which is sister ship of new Getaway?

Can you tell me pros/cons on RC vs Norwegian?

We will do water activities during port stops

Son will be looking for active things on board ship

Rest of us will be content laying by pool

We are thinking of getting two rooms. Or the Norwegian seemed to have singles which might be good as 21 yr old is son, 23 yr old is daughter rather than two girls or two boys. Thinking rooms are really small, etc.

Thinking of a cruise next summer for husband and I and two kids - 21 and 23.

Never cruised before and thinking of Fort Lauderdale to Eastern Caribbean.

Royal Carib Oasis or Allure of the Seas have the surfing simulator and things that may keep my 21 year old Active son busy.

Was also considering Norwegian getaway supposed to be like Breakaway. Has water slides but no surf simulator, not quite as large and the less formal dining seems good.

Has anyone done these ships or Breakaway which is sister ship of new Getaway?

Can you tell me pros/cons on RC vs Norwegian?

We will do water activities during port stops

Son will be looking for active things on board ship

Rest of us will be content laying by pool

We are thinking of getting two rooms. Or the Norwegian seemed to have singles which might be good as 21 yr old is son, 23 yr old is daughter rather than two girls or two boys. Thinking rooms are really small, etc.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Noplacelikethebeach.

Oasis and Getaway are enormous ships with plenty of activities to choose from.

Royal Caribbean caters to families, they have beautiful ships, with several specialty restaurants and lots of things to keep you busy throughout the day and night.

Norwegian Cruise Line pioneered the Anytime Dining where you pick your dining time. In theory it sounds like a fine idea if you don't want to be held to a specific time 6 pm Early Seating or 8:30 pm Late Seating.

However, I have read many posts where people complain that there are very long waits for tables in the Anytime Scenario. All the cruise lines have this option now but, Royal Caribbean also has Traditional Dining - a set time, waiters get to know you, your likes and so on, plus you have the opportunity of meeting table mates to share your cruise adventure with.

Another thing I have gleaned from these boards, NCL has a ton of specialty restaurants aboard their new ships. In fact that is their main focus to get you to eat, Sushi, Italian, French, Steak and so on every night. You will end up spending a lot of money on specialty restaurants this way.

There are certainly tons of people that cruise NCL and adore it, do a simple search of NCL vs. RCCL there are numerous threads at each forum. Or simply ask the question on either board.

As far as cabins go, Scrapnana makes a good point, the Single cabins on NCL are really tiny. I think your son and daughter would be much happier sharing a nice balcony cabin with either of you and your husband, much more room and more of a pleasant cruise ship feel.

Jonathan

Archived