Vantage Ships - French Balcony - Is it worth it?

Misnco

Hello All:

We are considering a Christmas market cruise on Vantage in December 2015. Is it worth the extra dollars to go with a french balcony cabin? The overall cost is an extra $500 added to the trip.

Thanks, Carol

Hello All:

We are considering a Christmas market cruise on Vantage in December 2015. Is it worth the extra dollars to go with a french balcony cabin? The overall cost is an extra $500 added to the trip.

Thanks, Carol

Depends if you like being underwater with a small window at water level.

Hello All:

Thanks, Carol

Are you planning on opening the slider with snow on the ground and freezing temperatures?

Are you planning on opening the slider with snow on the ground and freezing temperatures?

So it's not as big a plus as during the warmer weather, but it still enlarges the view from a small window near the ceiling to a full wall of glass. Given that you may not want to freeze on the top deck, being able to see one side of the scenery from the warmth of your cabin may well be worth it.

We took a Christmas market cruise with Vantge and chose a French balcony only because we wanted hotel style beds. On that trip the "aquarium class" cabins had daybed/sofas. We enjoyed the amount of light that filled the room--did open the door each day. Pat

Another thing to consider is the fact that it gets dark late afternoon. If your on a walking tour during the day, by the time you return to the ship, it may be getting dark. Even if your cruising you may want to spend more time in the lounge to take in the sights on both sides of the river.

Take a good look at the ship and cabin descriptions. On some of the Vantage ships, the option is not just French balcony or aquarium deck. Cabins on the second deck may have a large window--not floor to ceiling--that's plenty for viewing.

One other item, based on numerous postings, if you want to do the markets, DO NOT book over Christmas itself. The markets will be closed. Several have posted disappointed reviews because markets closed a few days before Xmas.

OkieCruiser49/FuelScience

We did a Christmas cruise with Vantage back in 2011 and upgraded to a French Balcony right next to the dining room. Glad we did but a little chilly with the door open. The 4 cruises before that we were on the bottom deck with the little window. Would we do it again, you bet. Willard

We did a Christmas cruise with Vantage back in 2011 and upgraded to a French Balcony right next to the dining room. Glad we did but a little chilly with the door open. The 4 cruises before that we were on the bottom deck with the little window. Would we do it again, you bet. Willard

Check the Vantage ship you're on. According to the 2015 catalog the four new ships have french balconies on the top two levels while the older ship, Navigator, only has french balconies on the top level. According to the catalog ALL levels on ALL ships have twin beds that convert to a double. Willard and I have had this discussion many times and because I have claustrophobia, I always book the french balcony. That being said, if I were doing a winter cruise where it gets dark earlier, I might reconsider a cabin with a large window but I could never take the aquarium level.

O.K., Today I upgraded to a French Balcony on our Dec.2014 Vantage River Splendor cruise. Are these simply sliding glass doors and is there a railing or any type of protection to keep one from falling overboard? Thanks Clark

We have found that we don't spend much time in our cabin on river cruises. There is lots of space on the ship to watch the countryside. Also, you get to meet people and have fun. River cruises are more intimate than ocean cruises.

We always get the cheapest cabin we can find and have not been disappointed. You still get a window.

O.K., Today I upgraded to a French Balcony on our Dec.2014 Vantage River Splendor cruise. Are these simply sliding glass doors and is there a railing or any type of protection to keep one from falling overboard? Thanks Clark

They are sliding glass doors with a railing to keep you from falling overboard. You cannot step out or sit on them, but you can lean over the railing and take some wonderful unobstructed photos. And I just love sitting in front of that door (there should be a table and 2 chairs right in front of it) and having a cup of coffee while DH gets showered and dressed. Another bonus, that's really subjective, is when we're tied up to another ship I always open the drapes (after dressing of course:D) and sit at the table waiting and hoping someone from the cabin across from me will open their drapes. When that happens, I immediately open my door and wave. I shared tea and cookies with a couple from England on the Nile and since they were going in the opposite direction, we were able to compare notes! And on another river cruise met a couple from Russia who gave me tips on what was then an upcoming trip. They didn't speak English and I didn't speak Russian, but we shared a glass of wine and settled on French!! Both meetings were trip highlights for me.:)

They are sliding glass doors with a railing to keep you from falling overboard. You cannot step out or sit on them, but you can lean over the railing and take some wonderful unobstructed photos. And I just love sitting in front of that door (there should be a table and 2 chairs right in front of it) and having a cup of coffee while DH gets showered and dressed. Another bonus, that's really subjective, is when we're tied up to another ship I always open the drapes (after dressing of course:D) and sit at the table waiting and hoping someone from the cabin across from me will open their drapes. When that happens, I immediately open my door and wave. I shared tea and cookies with a couple from England on the Nile and since they were going in the opposite direction, we were able to compare notes! And on another river cruise met a couple from Russia who gave me tips on what was then an upcoming trip. They didn't speak English and I didn't speak Russian, but we shared a glass of wine and settled on French!! Both meetings were trip highlights for me.:)

Thanks Hydrokitty for this perspective. I was going to say you made lemonade, but it actually sounds even better [limoncello?]!!!