Fairbanks Airport : Sept 2018

Malemew

Hi All,

Travelling from the UK to Fairbanks in sept '18 for land and sea tour with ncl.

Just so we can start planning and looking at potential routes for when the airlines release their seats - any recommendations on US / Canadian airports or airlines that offer cheap / competitive flights to Fairbanks.

Thanks in advance :)

you might want to start with Seattle or Vancouver for price comparison.

From Seattle, Alaska Airlines has flights almost hourly to Anc, less frequently to Fairbanks.

Norwegian Air will be flying into SEA and has some good fares. My sister used Icelandair last yr for the cheapest rate out of Sea. Look at Condor Air.

skyscanner.com is a good starting point for fare comparisons.

p.s. I hope you're travelling in EARLY sept. Things start closing down after Labor Day weekend. I think the buses into Denali stop around mid month. Check the park web site for dates.

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.

you might want to start with Seattle or Vancouver for price comparison.

From Seattle, Alaska Airlines has flights almost hourly to Anc, less frequently to Fairbanks.

Norwegian Air will be flying into SEA and has some good fares. My sister used Icelandair last yr for the cheapest rate out of Sea. Look at Condor Air.

skyscanner.com is a good starting point for fare comparisons.

p.s. I hope you're travelling in EARLY sept. Things start closing down after Labor Day weekend. I think the buses into Denali stop around mid month. Check the park web site for dates.

Without logging in and looking I think we start on 3rd sept and labour day is the 7th. We don't have labour day in the uk, does everything shut down for the day in the US?

All the tourism stuff will be open/running on Labor Day. Our summer season is short so every day counts for us.

Thanks. Didn't realise Norwegian flew to SEA. Will definitely look at them when the seats get released.

I believe you can probably get flights on Delta from UK to Fairbanks. You can connect with Alaska Air (once in US) but doing a change of airlines usually complicates the trip.

Re: Labor Day, we did an Alaska cruisetour a few years ago in mid-Sept. Our activities were not limited -- we did the Denali tour and all the shops were open.

Edited by JoRoy218

Without logging in and looking I think we start on 3rd sept and labour day is the 7th. We don't have labour day in the uk, does everything shut down for the day in the US?

In the US Federal Holidays (Labor Day being one) are not like Bank Holidays. Everything does not shut down. Some things do like post offices & court houses, but stores have SALES!;p

Hold on.......I didn't say things close on Labor Day. I said "things start closing down after Labor Day weekend".

Just like some things ( parks, activities, lodging) don't open until Memorial Day Weekend.

It's just a warning to be mindful of any planned activities when you travel during a shoulder season. After travelling all that way you don't want to arrive at Denali and find that the shuttle buses are no longer running ! yikes.

ie I have friends who are RV'g thru Alaska for the summer. They wanted to do Major Marine's Blackstone cruise out of Whittier but it didn't start until the end of May. They did the Surprise Glacier tour instead, so no loss, but again, if you travel in a shoulder season you really need to verify with your vendors.

• 2 months later...
Hi All,

Travelling from the UK to Fairbanks in sept '18 for land and sea tour with ncl.

Just so we can start planning and looking at potential routes for when the airlines release their seats - any recommendations on US / Canadian airports or airlines that offer cheap / competitive flights to Fairbanks.

Thanks in advance :)

When I was researching flights from Fairbanks the prices were not cheap. I am not flying into fairbanks, but flying out the flight times were horrible, 1:00 am I don't think so. We did find one that left at 6:15 am so we got that one, after that slim picking. Alaska air I thought was the best choice.

When considering flights from Fairbanks, we were advised to book all of our international travel at the same time so that you get the international luggage allowance included - otherwise you will be restricted to 10kg or so with the Fairbanks leg of the journey. By booking all the legs at once we have 2 x 23kg each for all our trip - but it does also mean using partner airlines (i.e. Air Canada with Alaskan Airlines). The cheap flights are certainly midnight-1am but there are plenty earlier, just watch for connecting flight times or you will lose the savings in airfare on hotels and taxi's instead!

We too have Labor Day whilst in Ketchikan this year but have been informed that all tourist activities & shops will be open on that day, and shuttles etc still covered for entirety of our land tour which concludes mid-september this year. The only tourist event I found not open is the Salmon Bake & Theatre in Fairbanks which closes 8th September. The local markets in Fairbanks have their last day the weekend we finish the tour. We chose to stay 5 days after the tour, leaving Fairbanks 20th September in the hopes of seeing the Northern Lights and celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary at Chenna Hot Springs.

Enjoy the planning and research - ours was 2 years of planning (and saving) and starts in just 2 weeks!

Another point is with taking an Alaska mid Sept, this is some of the worse weather potential of the season. Also it will be dark by 7pm, so less desirable are late port arrivals. Significant is missing scenic sailing, which is a priority for me, but clearly not for most. Glacier Dog sledding is closed. In my opinion, at this time in Denali nothing but Wonder Luke will do for me. :) And certainly never the Natural History tour.

Just some points that aren't aparent to some visitors, that may be important. .