Packing Help!

RyanMorgan

Hi, I'm going on my cruise in..24days! SO, excited!

Down to business.

My last cruise was two years ago, and I was younger then, so I didn't care about my appearance like AT ALL. Plus, my mom kind of packed up my suitcase for me. Now, I get to do that all by myself. Yay.

I'm worried I'm going to forget something, my mom will have the important documents and passports, I just need all the stuff required for me.

My suitcase is really small, below the average size of a suitcase, so how can I fit a lot of clothes in it? Is there certain clothes I should take? Should I use the roll method or just fold them up in neat squares.

Any input would be SO helpful!

Thanks!

Erin:)

Hi,

How long is your cruise and where are you going??

Why is your suitcase so small???What size is it?

I can fit all my clothes into a small rolling suitcase and then I take a backpack or large tote for things like jewelry, cosmetics,meds etc.

The key to packing light is to color coordinate your outfits so you don't need too many pairs of shoes. Shoes take up a lot of space so pack things like underwear,socks inside the shoes.

I am sure you'll be fine!!

There are so many differernt sizes of "average" suitcases, from 24 inch up to 29 inch and different widths/depths as well. So you need to provide measurements so people know what size case you have.

I packed my daughter in a rolling duffle for a 2 week trip to Europe a couple years ago. I rolled everything, lining it all up in rows, the shoes, blow dryer, flat iron going into the case towards the wheels so the weight was at the bottom. The same can be done with a rectangular shaped suitcase.

Most of her clothing is knit, so I didn't have to worry about wrinkles, but I did take the time to make sure everything was neatly rolled. I did show her how to do it so she could repack herself for the way home, she now packs for herself. She lays out the clothes on her bed and selects from there, making a list of what outfits she wants and figures out what she can wear more than once to reduce the amount of clothing taken. Don't forget underwear, socks if needed, flip flops.

You will probably want to add a smaller carry on piece for things that you don't want to risk losing, like meds, makeup, jewelry, camera, Ipod, camera etc...

Don't forget your toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant and any other toiletry items you use on a daily basis.

If you forget something, you can probably make do without it for 7 days. If it's a "must", then chances are good you can buy it somewhere along your journey.

Put all of your toiletriesthat you use aside in one place for the week prior to your trip...that way, you won't forget anything!

You can rewear many items...so you probably won't need a pair of shorts for every single day. Same with dinner clothes....a couple pair of long pants should do you just fine....unless you spill alot, you can hang them up, and wear again!

I started out with the folding method. I moved to rolling each item separately and then figured out if you roll 3 or 4 like items, you will save even more space. I knew I had to do even better when my daughter moved to Colombia and wanted to take her entire wardrobe in two 25" suitcases. I found the "bundling method" and boy does this work slick. Just google it. I actually had to take out a few items as it went over the weight allowance.

Other tricks are to take fewer really heavy items such as books or shoes and to buy little travel size bottles and jars for your toiletries, because liquids are heavy and you won't use a whole bottle for one cruise. For every pair of pant/shorts I bring 2 or 3 tops that match. Best of luck and good for you that you are taking on this responsibility.

Here is an article with pictures about how to fit ten days worth of clothes into a small suitcase. http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/05/06/business/businessspecial/20100506-pack-ss.html

Have fun!

That's the way we pack, all in a carry-on. All you need is seven days of clothes and with some washing you can go for months. We have gone for up to eleven weeks with just a carry-on.icon11.gif

That's the way we pack, all in a carry-on. All you need is seven days of clothes and with some washing you can go for months. We have gone for up to eleven weeks with just a carry-on.icon11.gif

I can't wait for a time that I can travel for 11 weeks without having the responsibilities of home..... no, wait... that's never going to happen!:p I couldn't stand to be away from my elderly parents or our grandchildren for that long and my cat would never forgive me. :D

But you're right, we did go to Europe for a month in a carry on. Easy, just experience the local laundromats! :eek: My DD and I got in trouble, b/c we accidently let a sock hang out of the machine and when it was turned on, water wicked through it and made a terrible mess. I think I learned a number of French cuss words that day.:rolleyes:

Pack your footwear in the bottom of the suitcase so that when you are carrying the suitcase, the weight of the shoes doesn't shift the rest of your clothes, or make the suitcase top heavy and more likely to fall over. Stuff your shoes with socks and underwear to help the shoes keep their shape and it makes use of otherwise empty space. Pack the rest of the socks and underwear at the end of the packing in any nooks and crannies, and anything left over gets shoved into an outer pocket. Would-be theives are less likely to steal socks and underwear (especially if the less desirable ones are on top, be sure to pack the good stuff inside.)

Chances are the bottom of the suitcase is uneven with the bulk of the retractable handle; be sure to try to fill in and even out this area with rolled shorts or other clothes.

A belt takes up no room when it lies stretched out along the outside perimeter of the suitcase.

Be sure to use the tie downs or buckles that are attached to the inside of the suitcase. It helps to compress things and keeps things in place, making it easier to zip up the suitcase.

If your suitcase is carryon size and you don't plan on checking it, confirm with the airline that it qualifies size wise as it varies by airline. We almost always just use carryon so that we don't have to deal with lost and damaged luggage and you don't have to wait at the baggage carousel hoping that your luggage made it. Just make sure that you follow the guidelines for liquids which is nothing over 3 oz. and all liquids in a small ziplock bag.

Let us know if there is something in particular that you want to know.

Happy packing!

Pack your footwear in the bottom of the suitcase so that when you are carrying the suitcase, the weight of the shoes doesn't shift the rest of your clothes, or make the suitcase top heavy and more likely to fall over. Stuff your shoes with socks and underwear to help the shoes keep their shape and it makes use of otherwise empty space. Pack the rest of the socks and underwear at the end of the packing in any nooks and crannies, and anything left over gets shoved into an outer pocket. Would-be theives are less likely to steal socks and underwear (especially if the less desirable ones are on top, be sure to pack the good stuff inside.)

Chances are the bottom of the suitcase is uneven with the bulk of the retractable handle; be sure to try to fill in and even out this area with rolled shorts or other clothes.

A belt takes up no room when it lies stretched out along the outside perimeter of the suitcase.

Be sure to use the tie downs or buckles that are attached to the inside of the suitcase. It helps to compress things and keeps things in place, making it easier to zip up the suitcase.

If your suitcase is carryon size and you don't plan on checking it, confirm with the airline that it qualifies size wise as it varies by airline. We almost always just use carryon so that we don't have to deal with lost and damaged luggage and you don't have to wait at the baggage carousel hoping that your luggage made it. Just make sure that you follow the guidelines for liquids which is nothing over 3 oz. and all liquids in a small ziplock bag.

Let us know if there is something in particular that you want to know.

Happy packing!

Thank You! I'll take that into consideration when I start packing soon, only 15 more days now! Were driving down to Florida, so I can pack however much liquid I need and don't have to worry about carryon stuff. Thank gosh, that would be WAY to much to think about! Well, thanks for all your help!

Archived