Confirmed: Century Drydock Coming in February 2014 !

Andy

Hi Everyone,

Here's the latest on Century. With this wonderful news, we can put the rumors to rest. My sincere thanks to Celebrity for sharing the information with us !

==========================

In order to incorporate a series of new guest-inspired enhancements – including new staterooms, new luxury suites, and a new look reflective of Celebrity’s award-winning Solstice Class fleet in the restaurants, bars and lounges on Celebrity Century -- the ship will enter a drydock period beginning February 4, 2014. The sailing previously scheduled on that date, as well as three successive sailings – February 19, March 6, and March 21, 2014 – have been canceled, in order to allow for the four-week drydock and to modify the latter itinerary to offer two Coastal cruises, based on guest demand.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may cause, and are pleased to offer the following:

Guests on all impacted sailings are welcome to re-book on select Celebrity sailings in like accommodations at the lowest available rate, or on any Celebrity sailing at the prevailing rate.

Guests booked in stateroom accommodations on any of the four canceled sailings will receive a $400 per-stateroom onboard credit for use on the cruise on which they’re re-booked.

Guests booked in suite accommodations on any of the four sailings will receive a $600 per-suite onboard credit for use on the cruise on which they’re re-booked.

Guests who incur air-change fees will be reimbursed in full for the fees, providing they submit a faxed copy of the air-change fees incurred.

Any guests who may choose to cancel their cruise will receive a full refund processed to their original form of payment. The above-listed compensation does not apply to cancellations.

Celebrity has established three special toll-free lines to assist guests on impacted sailings:

For Individual Reservations: 1-888-281-9343, ext. 48846

For Group Reservations: 1-888-381-9343, ext. 48923

For Consumer Outreach: 1-866-521-7245, ext. 18881

We look forward to sharing further details in the coming weeks about the enhancements that will be incorporated onto Celebrity Century in 2014.

Edited by Host Andy

I'm always surprised at how cruise lines make such an effort to compensate disrupted travelers - mostly because other industries (airlines I'm looking at you) don't give a rat's ass.

I'm always surprised at how cruise lines make such an effort to compensate disrupted travelers - mostly because other industries (airlines I'm looking at you) don't give a rat's ass.

Hi Gig,

I hear you. Frankly, some cruise lines do it better than others. One thing we've seen over the years... in situations like this - Celebrity tends to be far more generous than their competition.

While I realize that guests on the affected sailings will be somewhat disappointed with the cancellations, I feel the compensation offer is generous. I truly hope they will select another Celebrity sailing, and have a wonderful Cruise.

How likely is it that they finish dry dock as scheduled. I am booked on the first sailing after dry dock April 5 2014 (have been for 3 months). I also am concerned about glitches which tend to happen after a refurb. What has been your understanding of these two issues?

I wonder if this means we have a chance of Celebrity returning to Baltimore?

j

Based on today's news..... No. Later in 2014, Century is headed to Asia.

Edited by Host Andy

How likely is it that they finish dry dock as scheduled. I am booked on the first sailing after dry dock April 5 2014 (have been for 3 months). I also am concerned about glitches which tend to happen after a refurb. What has been your understanding of these two issues?

Typically, I don't think they finish everything they want during a dry dock. It's like construction, or remodeling...it always takes longer than you think, and you run into unforseen issues.

I have been on two cruises right after, and two right before one. In all cases, some parts of the ship are like a construction zone. If you don't have the right attitute, it can effect how you perceive the inconvenience. If you're the carefree, "go with the flow" type of person, you'll always enjoy yourself :D! If in doubt :eek:, I would change my plans and be happy it's before final payment ;). David

Has anyone had their cruise cancelled for running late on a refurb?

There will be a full Panama transit after drydock ( evidently;it takes place in Freeport and she's repositionned back to the WestCoast...:rolleyes:).

As well, there will likely be a couple of ''coastal voyages'' before the resumption of her previously published schedule 5th April. ( as hinted in the cruise line's announcement).

So, you will not be on a post drydock sailing, and while your concerns about such a cruise are very justified, you don't have to worry too much as you'll likely be on the 3rd ( or even 4th ) '' post drydcok sailing.

Cheers

All is well that ends well and I am very pleased with the compensation HOWEVER - the 3.5 months of waiting before we could book our vacation period, our airfares and make final arrangements was handled very poorly by Celebrity. Somehow, they must find a better way to communicate and treat their clients in any similar instance in the future. We were in limbo for over 3.5. months and that was inexcusable.

There will be a full Panama transit after drydock ( evidently;it takes place in Freeport and she's repositionned back to the WestCoast...:rolleyes:).

As well, there will likely be a couple of ''coastal voyages'' before the resumption of her previously published schedule 5th April. ( as hinted in the cruise line's announcement).

So, you will not be on a post drydock sailing, and while your concerns about such a cruise are very justified, you don't have to worry too much as you'll likely be on the 3rd ( or even 4th ) '' post drydcok sailing.

Cheers

That's good to hear, thanks for posting.

All is well that ends well and I am very pleased with the compensation HOWEVER - the 3.5 months of waiting before we could book our vacation period, our airfares and make final arrangements was handled very poorly by Celebrity. Somehow, they must find a better way to communicate and treat their clients in any similar instance in the future. We were in limbo for over 3.5. months and that was inexcusable.

It seemed they took many months to decide the fate of Century. Apparently there was a scheduled dry dock earlier this year that was abruptly cancelled and all of a sudden a number of Califronia coastal cruises were added last minute. The decision processes on Century have been in limbo for well over a year.

But the good news, for those that love the century, is that she will remain in the fleet. She is a very special ship.

Great news.:)

I love the Century and look forward to sailing on the Century for the third time!

Hope we will get updates about what will be done and pictures as she is going through dydock.

What, if any, restaurants will be added?

Hi Rockfsh,

From my first post, other than new statereooms and suites... details have not been released yet. With that said, I'd expect at least 1 or more specialty dining venues to be added. Hopefully, we will be hearing more from Celebrity in the coming weeks. Stay Tuned !

We received our call on friday May 17 about our cancelled Hawaii cruise. compensation they proposed is very good and they will honour the 123 promotions.

others have mentioned the waiting game, I must state that, ourselves included, have been aware of the refurb, mostly because of Cruise critic. You can state what you want but this knowledge did not move us to change our plans

1. because we wanted to be sure

2. also because we wanted not to do anything that might jeapordize a compensation proposal.

The proposal is in, time to react, get on with the new plans. Thanks Celebrity we like others have contingency plans in place and will be committing shortly