St. John, NB

jules71

What is the best way to get to Hopewell Springs State Park? We are sailing on the Grandeur in September. Any other suggestions on best things to do appreciated!

To make things a bit easier for you as you do your research, the port city you will be visiting is Saint John, and the park you are enquiring about is The Rocks Provincial Park (we have provinces here in Canada, not states) where the Hopewell Rocks are located. I'm not aware of any Hopewell Springs in New Brunswick.

The drive from Saint John to The Rocks Provincial Park is a good two hours each way, which will take quite a bite out of your available time. Also, there is only a small window of time around low tide when you can actually get down to the ocean floor and explore the rocks, so you'd have to check tide tables to see whether or not you could even be there at the right time of day.

This board has quite a few threads on what to do in and around Saint John, including this one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46978123&highlight=hopewell#post46978123

Thank you so much for your information and suggestions, Fouremco. I wondered why I had so much trouble finding anything about the place! It looks like a really cool place to go, but since this is our first trip and we have limited time, I think I will find activities/places closer to Halifax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peggy's cove is a beautiful place on the Halifax Port stop. There is a lighthouse (not sure if you can still go up into it or not) It used to have a post office inside you could mail post cards from, but think that has long closed.

Its a nice place for photos and there is a large gift shop and restaurant many excursions offer a Salmon bake meal.

Okay, I have oriented myself a little better to the area around St. John, NB. And while I haven't given up completely on going to Hopewell Rocks, I am also looking at the village of St. Martins, the caves, and the Fundy Bay Trail. If you have been to any of these places, what would you suggest not to miss?!!

We would probably rent a car and do this on our own. We arrive Monday, Sept 17 at 7am. We would get an early start --rental car place opens at 8 --what can we expect in the way of traffic?

Okay, I have oriented myself a little better to the area around St. John, NB. And while I haven't given up completely on going to Hopewell Rocks, I am also looking at the village of St. Martins, the caves, and the Fundy Bay Trail. If you have been to any of these places, what would you suggest not to miss?!!

We would probably rent a car and do this on our own. We arrive Monday, Sept 17 at 7am. We would get an early start --rental car place opens at 8 --what can we expect in the way of traffic?

Here's a link that should help: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2230533