Celebrity equinox kids club

Marie51

We just returned from a Caribbean cruise in the equinox. My 10-year-old grandson was in the kids club one day and told us that evening that they send the kids out by themselves on a scavenger hunt around the ship with no adult supervision. I find this hard to believe but this is what he said. Anyone know anything about this?

I can't comment on Celebrity but on both Carnival and Princess (I think) my sons have done scavenger hunts in the 9-11 ish age group. They have to have been given sign in/out privileges on both those lines to be able to participate so parents can control it. They usually send them out in groups of 4-5 for the hunts.

It's all about parenting and knowing your kid. My youngest got his privileges immediately at 9; my older I waited til 10. They had very strict rules about where they could go, what they could do etc. We would pass them many times a day on the ship - sometimes they saw us - other times they didn't so we had a chance to confirm they were using manners, walking not running and otherwise behaving. I can't stand the posts when I hear about kids pushing elevator buttons etc - it makes well behave kids look like they shouldn't be allowed out of the monkey cage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting. We have three kids 9-11 that will be on the Equinox soon. We did plan on giving them sign out privileges (so they can go to a short list of places - basically the ocean view cafe for a snack or joining dad and I), so I guess it makes sense that the scavenger hunt groups would be on their own. Besides, they wouldn't have enough staff to send a counselor out with several groups. I'm ok with it, but I am also thinking that if parents don't give sign out privileges, then the kids probably can't go on the hunt. Do you know if his parents gave him sign in/out privileges?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most cruise lines allow 9 and up to check themselves in and out...so letting them go in a group on a "mission" doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

If a parent doesn't want their kid (of any age) to have sign out privileges, they can tell the counselors that....otherwise, it's pretty much "house rules".

No, he (my grandson) did not have sign in/ sign out privileges so this is why I cannot understand how they could let him go on a scavenger hunt.

We did contact Celebrity regarding this and were told that the the children, while not actually with a counselor, are on video surveillance

Edited by Marie51