Q & A From an Actual Celebrity Employee

cruiser013

Just thought I would post this as I am noticing there are many first time cruisers and first with Celebrity reading these forums.

As an employee with Celebrity, I am happy to answer your questions and provide a more accurate depiction of what one might expect on a cruise.

I know someone has posted something similar to this already, but as I still work for Celebrity, I am more up to date on the Celebrity Cruise experience.

Any Questions?

Just thought I would post this as I am noticing there are many first time cruisers and first with Celebrity reading these forums.

As an employee with Celebrity, I am happy to answer your questions and provide a more accurate depiction of what one might expect on a cruise.

I know someone has posted something similar to this already, but as I still work for Celebrity, I am more up to date on the Celebrity Cruise experience.

Any Questions?

Obvious questions:

-- as you are currently employed by X, what are the parameters for what you feel you are able to discuss? We understand there are some limitations imposed by the company.

-- are you a shipboard employee or land based? In either case, can you also tell us in general, or better yet, specific terms, in what capacity you work for X?

Hi:) you work for the company now? I am sailing Century next month....do you know or can you find out who the Restaurant Manager of the Grand is? Just wondered if it is Jorge (from Portugal)?

Thanks!

Any Questions?

Is there any way to find out if there are any large groups on a sailing? My cruise for next October is showing sold out for all suite and balcony cabins, with only 3 OV and inside categories left! Thanks :D

How does one learn if there is ANY large group (e.g. 50% more ship's capacity) onboard a sailing. Only by having TA make a specific inquiry? - and will X disclose anyhow?

I don't begrudge any group their trip - I just don't want to be in the middle of someone else's 'family reunion' atmosphere. I've seen other posts about large groups tying up areas on the ship.

Any Questions?

In this cynical age, in the interest of fellow board members, we need you to pass a test to confirm your real X employee status. ONLY an ACTUAL X employee could know the answers. This is only a test, and if there had been an actual alert, you would have been instructed to tune in your EBS channels.

1. Which cruiseline has higher food and service quality: RCL or X?

2. What is the average number of X breadsticks consumed by a female CpnClub elite member at dinner?

3. Do X cabin staff (vigilantes?) keep a "dust-bunny' reserve to intentionally place under the beds of 'difficult' cruisers in order to drive them away? Has it become a game among colleagues to plant dust-bunnies at random to see if the cabin steward catches on?

4. In compensating for pets not being allowed, has the ship's staff given fond names like 'Spot' to animal-shaped carpet stains?

5. Is there a staff betting pool on how many pax can be crammed in to a ship's tender at one time? Are there record high's that newer staff are shooting for?

6. Does staff sometimes slip extra chemicals into the T-pool as prankish fun to see the effect on pax bathing suits? Are there bonus points if the suit actually disintegrates from their body as they leave?

7. Was intro of 'topless' sunbathing area on X male staff's idea?

8. Are the DR wait staff the strongest proponents for X's formal attire in the hopes that more pax would behave politely?

9. What's the name of that little fleshy dangling thing that hangs down from the back of a person's mouth?

Only if you can dazzle this board with correct responses that only an actual X staff would know can we have full faith and confidence in your competency.

OK - the clock is ticking. Hey - no coaching from the board.

Alright, let's get the test out of the way.

1. Having eaten in both the RCL & X restaurants, hands down X has better service and food.

2. Average number between 1 & 1,000,000

3. No Comment

4. Actually, all the animal shaped stains aren't actually animal shaped at all. They are called "Elvis"

5. The pool is up to about 100 give or take a wheelchair or scooter.

6. No Comment

7. Topless sunbathing was introduced on the Alaska cruises. Having had little success, the signs were never taken down. Go figure.

8. They are only that way as they want people to wear tight constricting bow ties as well. Misery loves company after all.

9. I only know the spanish name for it, having cruised Mexico for awhile. "El Flesho"

This is all meant in fun.

How does one learn if there is ANY large group (e.g. 50% more ship's capacity) onboard a sailing. Only by having TA make a specific inquiry? - and will X disclose anyhow?

I don't begrudge any group their trip - I just don't want to be in the middle of someone else's 'family reunion' atmosphere. I've seen other posts about large groups tying up areas on the ship.

If there was a group who consumed 50% of capacity, the company would have the group charter the ship, meaning they would have the ship to themself.

I have done many cruises with large groups and by that I mean a couple hundred people max, and they usually occupy a lounge or area right before main seating as to not disrupt passengers too much.

We do our best to make sure that the group is as non intrusive as possible.

Obvious questions:

-- as you are currently employed by X, what are the parameters for what you feel you are able to discuss? We understand there are some limitations imposed by the company.

-- are you a shipboard employee or land based? In either case, can you also tell us in general, or better yet, specific terms, in what capacity you work for X?

I am a shipboard employee. A member of the Activities Staff. I can discuss what you can expect on board from a service and entertainment standpoint, as well as protocol. I cannot however, divulge info about internal company operations.

In the past, my wife and I have taken the time to make friends with staff on board. What type of items could we pick up and bring along as gifts for our new found friends?

How many contracts have you served through?

This is an excellent question. I myself have received gifts from cruisers. I would recommend you stay away from anything involving alcohol or food. This avoids complications during cabin inspection.

I have gotten things like lapel pins, keychains, baseball hats and even the odd T-Shirt.

What I feel the best gift is for you to invite your new friend to eat with you in the restaurant. As the food for the crew is not the same as the food you eat, it would be a treat to have dinner with you, provided you have space at your table. You would have to ask the staff member in advance though as they have to get permission from the appropriate people. I should note that the dining privilege is reserved for members of activities, youth, dancers, assistant cruise director and so on. Pretty much anyone from the Entertainment Dept. onboard. Unfortunately, other crew members aren't allowed this privilege. So any of the gifts I have mentioned above, would be acceptable.

Obviously, some of the staff might prefer a gift over the dinner invite, and I am only speaking about what I would like. It can't hurt to ask though.

I will be signing on Summit on Feb 28 for contract number four.

On our last cruise onboard the Summit, we noticed that some of the staff had their family on board while we were in port. Is that something new or has Celebrity always offered that benefit? Are the family members only able to walk about the ship or are they able to have lunch with their family crew member? I think it's a nice touch, I'm sure they really miss their families being away so long.

Probably a dumb question, but, is being a part of the waitstaff in the specialty restaurant a higher paying position?

Cruiser013,

This past year, we learned so much as to making friends and on the Summit last year had the luck of being the only two people seated at a table for 4. We invited two Activity staff members to dinner one night and the Concierge and International Hostess another and had the luck of dining with the ACD in the Normandie, he was a long time friend.

May I ask, what ship were you on Jan and April 2004. I am always looking for our friends. We do keep in touch, but didn't get the e-mail addresses for 3 members of our crew last January.

What a coincidense, we will be sailing with you on 2-28 ! Since you are a singer are you part of the show group or do you sing with a lounge group?

Who is the cruise director when the Summit returns to service tomorrow ?

Do you have any comment on the Cirque de Solil ?

Pa. Cruise

Hope to meet up with you onboard,if allowed come to the CC party we have a great group from everywhere. Check us out on the boards.

I tried to get an answer ftom the other person with the similar post... no luck. What is the reason that a potty-trained 2 year old is not allowed in the Fun Factory even with a parent?

Thanks-

I will give you the answer straight from the Youth Supervisor. The reason is that the US Public Health Commission doesn't allow any child under the age of 3 in there potty trained or not. I don't know why the magic number is 3. I will try and find more information for you and post at a later time.

What a coincidense, we will be sailing with you on 2-28 ! Since you are a singer are you part of the show group or do you sing with a lounge group?

Who is the cruise director when the Summit returns to service tomorrow ?

Do you have any comment on the Cirque de Solil ?

Pa. Cruise

Hope to meet up with you onboard,if allowed come to the CC party we have a great group from everywhere. Check us out on the boards.

I am not a singer by any means. I am part of the Activity Staff on board. My understanding is that John Howell will be the Cruise Director on Summit, a man I respect and admire.

I cannot comment on Cirque as of yet, as I have not seen anything. The Summit is supposed to get it soon. I am sure it will be there within the 6 months I will be there. Ask me later.

I probably won't have time to drop by there, but thanks for the invite. I will likely have something to do then. After all, someone has to make sure you all have a wonderful experience!

Cruiser013,

This past year, we learned so much as to making friends and on the Summit last year had the luck of being the only two people seated at a table for 4. We invited two Activity staff members to dinner one night and the Concierge and International Hostess another and had the luck of dining with the ACD in the Normandie, he was a long time friend.

May I ask, what ship were you on Jan and April 2004. I am always looking for our friends. We do keep in touch, but didn't get the e-mail addresses for 3 members of our crew last January.

Rick, I was on Horizon during that time. I left towards the end of April 2004.

I sure hope they were appreciative of the invite!

On our last cruise onboard the Summit, we noticed that some of the staff had their family on board while we were in port. Is that something new or has Celebrity always offered that benefit? Are the family members only able to walk about the ship or are they able to have lunch with their family crew member? I think it's a nice touch, I'm sure they really miss their families being away so long.

Probably a dumb question, but, is being a part of the waitstaff in the specialty restaurant a higher paying position?

The company does allow us the privilege of having our family cruise with us. I will also tell you that they aren't cruising for free. Since I have been with the company, we have been able to request our family to come visit us.

I have been fortunate to have my parents visit me once a contract, and it is very nice to have a little taste of home. I am allowed to interact with them just as I would any other guest onboard. We even get to eat with them in the restaurant once or twice provided we have approval.

As for the specialty restaurant, the waitstaff work on a gratuity system as in the regular restaurant. The $25 fee you are paying covers the gratuity for the waitstaff in the specialty restaurant. However, you are able to tip extra if you feel you have gotten exemplary service.

My husband and I will be sailing on the Galaxy next January. We are avid ballroom dancers. Do you know which club will provide us the best opportunity to dance?

Thanks for your time!

I have only toured Galaxy, but have worked the Mercury, it's sister ship. The layout is pretty much the same.

I would recommend that you use the Rendez-Vous Lounge, or the lounge where the ship's "Duo" is playing.

You may also feel free to ask the resident party band or if the Orchestra is doing a Big Band or Jazz set at some point throught the cruise, you can ask them as well.

We are all there to help make your cruise vacation enjoyable, so I can pretty much say go to wherever there is live music and ask the musicians to play something you can dance ballroom to.

Archived