Luxury Cruise Line Age Policies

LauraS

Why no mention in the article of Hapag-Lloyd's Europa 2?

probably for the same reason Hapag is not generally mentioned anywhere else on CC -- it is a line that, until recently, has primarily focussed on catering to Germans. However, the Europa2 is now aggressively marketing itself to the English-speaking population as well, as you know since you have been on the ship and have generousky contributed information about it, so it should indeed have been included as it is probably the most luxurious of all the ships ( by description of style, passenger space etc.) They are also listed as family friendly (have adjoining family suite options, a small child area for kids and their nannies, a teen area, etc.) . Such a setup allows affluent families to travel in style but with their children appropriately cared for.

I am a little nervous about the very family-friendly stance in the Europa2's brochures and ads, as Mr. Catlover and I will be on it over Xmas holidays Capetown-Capetown which might be a route and time with appeal to families with youngsters, and wonder if the kids will overrun the public areas. In the old days German kids were heavily disciplined and super well-behaved but I know the culture (and laws about child discipline) are changing and the approach to kids is generally more live and let live than it was a couple decades ago and before. We will see. Kids or no kids, I am excited about our first trip on E2 and but for Mr. C's work schedule would have picked a different time of year to test it out, due to risk of potentially many kids, but I will just bring extra blood pressure meds.

Catlover54,

According to the 'On-Board ABC' for the Europa 2, for children from four years and up supervision times are 09.00 t0 12.00, 14.00 to 17.00, and 18.30 to 21.00.

On days at sea, for parents who wish to have a lie-in, a service is available for children from two years and up whereby they will be collected from the suite and taken for a group breakfast in one of the restaurants.

On days with excursions, adjusted supervision times allow for parents to take part in some excursions without their children, or special excursions are offered for children together with their parents.

On my voyage in July last year, in the Mediterranean, the number of children I saw could be counted on one hand.

As for Christmas, I do wonder how many families with children would contemplate a 17 day cruise around Africa.

Why not ask in the Europa 2 thread if anyone has cruised at Christmas, and if so, were there many children on-board.

Europa2 may be the luxury cruise line for people with children since the rest of the luxury cruise lines would rather eat them for supper (just a joke :D) On a more serious note, except during U.S. school holidays and the summer, there are very few, if any, children on Regent, Oceania, Silversea or Seabourn. And, there are no special facilities for them except during these times.

Edited by Travelcat2

We have a flat overlooking Portsmouth harbour and E2 did look magnificent when she visited recently.

As has been said until recently a German only cruise line. I was always surprised there wasn't an English language version of their website (now corrected).

We did Cape Town to Cape Town last Christmas / New Year with Seabourn and there were very few kids on board. A few but not many - we took one of them!

We spent a week driving the garden route to Oudtshoorn and back before the cruise which was delightful.

I can understand the concerns voiced by luxury forum members when it comes to children but ultimately it comes down to the individual. Our 14 year old daughter actively encouraged us to book our next cruise onboard Seabourn Sojourn.

We knew / know the score as a family and don't require any child specific facilities. Seabourn have a well stocked selection of board games, complimentary videos on demand and actually there were a couple of pizza nights for the few youngsters cruising.

Some of the staff, particularly on the entertainment team took a shine to Emily, she dances at home, so that pleased her and she did hook up with a friend but other than that she enjoys all the same aspects of the cruise we do.

My own take on things is to go into luxury cruising with your eyes open and judge people as you find them, not as you see them based on colour, creed, sexual orientation or age. We have struck up the most unlikely friendships in the cosseted environment of time, space, civility and of course complimentary drinks.

Luxury cruising affords many opportunities to people of all ages from all walks of life.

Henry :)

• 3 weeks later...
probably for the same reason Hapag is not generally mentioned anywhere else on CC -- it is a line that, until recently, has primarily focussed on catering to Germans. However, the Europa2 is now aggressively marketing itself to the English-speaking population as well, as you know since you have been on the ship and have generousky contributed information about it, so it should indeed have been included as it is probably the most luxurious of all the ships ( by description of style, passenger space etc.) They are also listed as family friendly (have adjoining family suite options, a small child area for kids and their nannies, a teen area, etc.) . Such a setup allows affluent families to travel in style but with their children appropriately cared for.

I am a little nervous about the very family-friendly stance in the Europa2's brochures and ads, as Mr. Catlover and I will be on it over Xmas holidays Capetown-Capetown which might be a route and time with appeal to families with youngsters, and wonder if the kids will overrun the public areas. In the old days German kids were heavily disciplined and super well-behaved but I know the culture (and laws about child discipline) are changing and the approach to kids is generally more live and let live than it was a couple decades ago and before. We will see. Kids or no kids, I am excited about our first trip on E2 and but for Mr. C's work schedule would have picked a different time of year to test it out, due to risk of potentially many kids, but I will just bring extra blood pressure meds.

You will most likely have a lot of kids onboard as well as many South Africans and their children, this is summer vacation time for schools in South Africa and many families travel during this time. they may like a round trip CPT itinerary. As long as you are prepared for it it will not be a surprise,

We have a flat overlooking Portsmouth harbour and E2 did look magnificent when she visited recently.

As has been said until recently a German only cruise line. I was always surprised there wasn't an English language version of their website (now corrected).

We did Cape Town to Cape Town last Christmas / New Year with Seabourn and there were very few kids on board. A few but not many - we took one of them!

We spent a week driving the garden route to Oudtshoorn and back before the cruise which was delightful.

I can understand the concerns voiced by luxury forum members when it comes to children but ultimately it comes down to the individual. Our 14 year old daughter actively encouraged us to book our next cruise onboard Seabourn Sojourn.

We knew / know the score as a family and don't require any child specific facilities. Seabourn have a well stocked selection of board games, complimentary videos on demand and actually there were a couple of pizza nights for the few youngsters cruising.

Some of the staff, particularly on the entertainment team took a shine to Emily, she dances at home, so that pleased her and she did hook up with a friend but other than that she enjoys all the same aspects of the cruise we do.

My own take on things is to go into luxury cruising with your eyes open and judge people as you find them, not as you see them based on colour, creed, sexual orientation or age. We have struck up the most unlikely friendships in the cosseted environment of time, space, civility and of course complimentary drinks.

Luxury cruising affords many opportunities to people of all ages from all walks of life.

Henry :)

Well said. My son started crusiing at 20 months and by the time I brought him on Seabourn, at age 8 he had been on 16 cruises. The children that misbehave should not be blamed for negative behavior their parent should.

the staff loved my son and the stewardess volunteered to watch him any evening that she was off. I thought that was very sweet. he was actually invited to a crew party also.

There were around 20 children on Europa 2 the week before last. It was a seven-day cruise and I don't think any conclusions can be drawn about how many would be on a longer Christmas cruise. We had absolutely no problems with the children, who were clearly having a wonderful time both in the kids' club (including ashore) and with their families. The pool is quite small and obviously children were in it from time to time, but I think there were also 'adult-only' sessions.