Babies/Cruises/Gastro/Sickness ???

parrotthead

Ive read lots of posts that say your babies (esp under 1) have gotten 'sick' (gastro) while on your Cruise...

How many have experienced this?

What do you attribute this too?

Is/Was your baby sensitive even at home?

Was it the 'new' food?

Was it simply 'travelers tummy', or a true sickness?

Anyone else in your party get 'sick'?

Will be taking the "Traveling GingerBaby on the Go" (just turned 8 months) on his First Cruise in 2 weeks ...he's usually not to sensitive, but just a bit concerned since Ive read so many 'reviews' that mention this....

started to plague some ships and it is HUGE in NC right now. I would be really carefuly about not letting baby touch anything and then put his hands in his mouth. Noro is very contagious! It is most dangerous to young and the old due to dehydration. Be sure to pack powder Pedialyte!

He is so easy going, I dont expect any trouble. :)

Not worried about motion sickness ... not really worried about tummy troubles ... (even tho I did start this tread)

But, since Ive seen (more then a couple) posts lately mentioning that their babies got 'sick'... I just wondered what these moms/parents/caregivers... attributed this to?

I would think (depending on age of the child) that the child getting sick really depends on how careful you are with them. For a baby, if you keep up with washing their hands and provide your own food for them, their risk will be low. Especially if you remember to wash your hands frequently as well and let them play only with their own toys.

Our 9mo DS got sick just 2 weeks ago - he played with his own toys, we're good about washing our hands, and he barely touched the food the MDR pureed for him.

We're not sure what got him, but he had vomiting and diarrhea. His diapers are only just getting back to normal, and it was 2 weeks yesterday that it started.

My mother, myself and my cousin all got it as well to various degrees. The onboard doctor said it was most likely viral, and DS' stool samples came back normal (at home testing), which confirmed virus.

The medical centre has small bottles of Pedialyte for $5.50 each, if you don't have room for your own. Much cheaper to buy it yourself, but just in case - it was the only thing I didn't pack for him as he'd EBF'd and won't take a bottle. He showed signs of dehydration, but the doc wasn't concerned, we really watched him and he never refused the breast, even though he refused all food but dinner buns!

ETA: And we brought a TON of jarred food just in case. When he was eating, he ate about 80% jarred food, and only a small amount of either whole or pureed ship food (would have been more, but it was a pain just to get the MDR to puree menu food for him!).

Poor little guy, if yall got a touch too, must have been a 'bug' going around.... :(

Glad he's getting back to normal. :)

the "Traveling GingerBaby" is pretty hardy... has never (really) been sick... no ear infections, diaper rash, nothing--(he just turned 8mo and is already 25# and 29"--we always say hes "sturdy stock"--lol).... so not too worried.

I did buy some 'travel packs' of pedilite, JIC...

:)

My son got bad diarrhea when we cruised with him at 9 months...I ended up getting a bad cold/sinus infection towards the end of the cruise. I'm not sure how he got sick, as it could have been anything he touched when crawling, etc. I stopped giving him ship water after he got diarrhea and used bottled. Cruised again at 12 months and I was very vigilant about wiping down the cabin and anything he could touch in the cabin with disinfectant wipes. I also brought my own Pack N Play vs. ship crib. Used bottled water. He was fine. Cruising again in March with him and hoping for the best!

My DD has been on 3 cruises (she is 2 1/2) and not once got sick. If your concern is NoroVirus, just be conscious about keeping your LO's hands clean, use bottled water and make sure to bring pedialyte on board (they sell them in powder packets) which makes it easy to travel with.

Thanks all.

Again, not concerned about Noro...or anything.

(we cruise enough to know to use common sense) ;)

Just saw a lot of posts recently about people saying their Babies got (Travelers Tummy?) sick.

GingerBaby has/does not have a problem traveling, so just wondered if people were thinking it was just that their babies were 'out of their element' or if 'different foods' upset thier babies. or if they themselves were also getting sick...

???

Just wondering what others experiences....

I have read that most infants don't usually get motion sickness, especially on boats. In fact, for us, our DD found the movement soothing and slept great! Their issues could have been related to different food/being out of their element or even illness. It is so hard to tell when they are so little. I can only speak from personal experience and we never had any issues with motion sickness. Me on the other hand....well that is a different story! :o

Most little kids do not get motion sick (inner ear canals not developed yet to sense motion the way we do). But most little kids have less immunity to viruses noro and otherwise. Travelling introduces contact with so many more people and kids are usually more likey to vomit from both tummy viruses, fevers etc I think every single vacation we have been on has seen one of my kids sick. Thankfully only once with true noro (what a mess). Be prepared for the worst but expect the best!!

Archived