new to crusing and single

David1962

Budget? Time frame? Age group? Interests? Heavy drinking?

I'd be very careful about online information. For example, I'd wonder about a "singles cruise" where the rates are "per person double occupancy".

really? while I understand you can't believe everything you read on-line, when reading a cruise lines webpage - you have to believe what they say, right? otherwise you'd get on a ship thinking you were heading to Mexico and windup in the Bahamas :). every cruise line I've ever sailed on charges double occupancy, regardless if one or two in the room - except NCL studio cabins. the major singles travel agencies will give a small break for one in a cabin, but will pair same sex passengers.

Edited by avatr

avatr's example is extreme, but yes, the fine print in the contract gives them the right to do that (think hurricane season). I think "...charges double occupancy..." was just awkward phrasing, that we agree the lines advertise double occupancy price but demand a different price for a single.

Check the categories- sometimes only mid-grade cabins are shared, a lowest grade single isn't much more. There have been a number of threads over the years debating whether sharing a cabin with a total stranger is worth the savings.

Some women I know won't go on a singles cruise unless there are dance hosts. "Single" doesn't mean "one size fits all". Be sure you know what they're actually promising to deliver, not what the PR hype says.

avatr's example is extreme, but yes, the fine print in the contract gives them the right to do that (think hurricane season). I think "...charges double occupancy..." was just awkward phrasing, that we agree the lines advertise double occupancy price but demand a different price for a single.

Check the categories- sometimes only mid-grade cabins are shared, a lowest grade single isn't much more. There have been a number of threads over the years debating whether sharing a cabin with a total stranger is worth the savings.

Some women I know won't go on a singles cruise unless there are dance hosts. "Single" doesn't mean "one size fits all". Be sure you know what they're actually promising to deliver, not what the PR hype says.

I'm not sure I'd want to be on a ship that wouldn't divert for a hurricane... mabe that's just me, I don't know.

the particular singles cruise travel agency I've used allows any cabin/suite to be shared. I do agree about sharing a cabin with a stranger... heck - I won't share with a friend or family member - I like my privacy... and am willing to pay a little more to insure I get it.

obviously, your lady friends value dancing over any other cruise experiences, and that's their prerogative... I say more power to them!!

true - a hosted singles cruise isn't for everyone.... but for those thousands a year that do them, and some of them for the 20th or 30th time they've been... it does work. I say, don't knock it unless you've tried it.

Hi David

I see you've had a number of responses. Many of our cruises have single supplements on cabins, where you pay between 50% and 100% more on your fare to get your own cabin. There are agencies out there who will pair single people together to make it more cost effective so it is really up to you whether you are prepared to share with somebody or really want your own cabin. There will be single people on most cruises if you want to meet others who are also travelling alone. I hope this helps a little?

what is a good singles cruise to go on and either a western or eastern caribbean

Hi David. Why don't you come over to the solo board if you just want to travel in your own cabin. There is a thread on the solo board where people list cruises with reduced or zero supplements. I hope this helps.