X-rays, Security Check

Hi all,

On my first cruise both my partner and my own suitcases did not arrive to our room for a few hours after sail away. We saw the alcohol notices for others and asked our room steward and he asked if we had alcohol (we said no) or maybe scissors or other dangerous items.

We went down to where they were searching bags (saw LOTS of bottles of wine) but as we had not received a notice we ended up leaving.

ANyway finally our suitcases arrived, although we were never called to security. My partner had coke cans in his suitcase and I found I actually had packed scissors in my first aid kit.

SO (sorry bout the long post) my question is,

what items are classified as dangerous or would be picked up on an xray machine?

obviously glass and plastic bottles, but just wondering if anyone has any stories with other items causing them trouble?

Cheers :)

It might have had nothing to do with what was in your cases. When we cruised on the Dawn in 2007 our suitcases beat us to our cabin. But when we cruised on the Sun last year we dropped our cases off at the luggage collection area at 11.30am but they did not reach our rooms until after 5pm! I think it is sometimes a matter of luck. Yours were probably, and I guess ours probably were too, stuck at the bottom of the piles of luggage to be delivered to cabins.

The list of prohibited items varies according to the cruise line. E.g. Wine is allowed on some lines and not on others. Most cruise lines have an FAQ or something similar on their web site where you can find out what their specific bans are. There are some common items E.g. Fireworks, weapons (including knoves and scissors with blades over 4"). Here is a link to a thread about Carnival on CC some time back.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1191273

The list makes you wonder what some people will try and bring on board. I agree with cruisequeenoz, the delay was probably due to mischance - we have had similar experiences with very early or very late arriving luggage without any trips to the "naughty room".

Cheers Colleen

Archived