Drift snorkeling

muffyn

trying to sort this out. private tours are full, o that leaves me to use the cruise ship tours. but I did read on here about taking a water taxi to klein bonaire?

please give me more info.... how far from the dock is this? HOW MUCH? how often do the taxis run? so you leave your stuff at one end of the beach? ( how safe is that?) & walk up to the reef edge & swim out to the water where you catch the current. correct?

any other information?

trying to sort this out. private tours are full, o that leaves me to use the cruise ship tours. but I did read on here about taking a water taxi to klein bonaire?

please give me more info.... how far from the dock is this? HOW MUCH? how often do the taxis run? so you leave your stuff at one end of the beach? ( how safe is that?) & walk up to the reef edge & swim out to the water where you catch the current. correct?

any other information?

Hi Dawn, We did this twice last winter. You want the water taxi "Good Return". Google it. . I think it was $15 or $20 each person. When you get off the ship head left to Karels Beach Bar, about a 5 minute walk, but there is a woman selling tickets along the way and she will tell you the schedule/ It runs every hour or so when a ship is in.

He takes you over to No Name Beach on Klein Bonaire, a small uninhabited island right off the main island. You jump off the boat and leave your things on the beach and then back on the boat with your snorkel gear. He takes you back around a half mile where you jump into the water and the current carries you back past the coral and fabulously colored fish towards the beach. Note you are never far from shore ,probably 30 feet or less, it is just that the coral runs parallel to the beach . It is magical. The beach had maybe 15 people at most both times we were there. The captain returns every hour or so to pick up whoever wants to go back. Bring everything you will need as there is absolutely nothing on the island and little shade.

Hope this helps. Yes it was very safe.

• 4 weeks later...

I was concerned as we had a very early port day, so I contacted Good Return Bonaire. Monica Promptly emailed me back with the assurance that they start running early they begin their water taxi early.

Monica and her husband recently invested in this water taxi. They were a delight and the snorkeling on Klein Bonaire complete exceeded our expectations. We dropped our stuff off at the beach and they proceeded to bring us up the beach where we jumped off the boat for a magnificent drift snorkel.

Monica was concerned about our level of experience and comfort before proceeding with the drift drop off. She also told us where to look for turtles and showed us the beach where we could exit the drift sooner if we needed to.

We saw so many species of fish and two turtles swimming - There was actually a brief heavy rain during our drift snorkel which added to the overall sensory experience.

After a few hours I realized I left a bag on the boat, sure enough Monica put it safely away for us.

Note, there are no facilities or refreshments on the beach so make sure you at least bring water with you – I believe the Good Return has beverages for sale.

It is in my opinion that if you snorkel or enjoy a beautiful peaceful beach a trip to Klein Bonaire via Good Return Bonaire is a must.

• 1 month later...

Not the greatest for a two year old. The water taxi is small and a bit hard to climb out if it is rough as there is no dock on the island. No shade and out in the sun and wind is not good for a little one, but you could go for just an hour or so. Nothing much to see there and not even a good swimming spot if you aren't snorkelling.

• 6 months later...