Which Luau in Maui??

lovebears

Would like advice on choosing between 2 luaus in Maui. Old Lahaina comes with high ratings. I am also considering the Wailele Polynesian Luau at the Westin Maui Resort. The Wailele luau is over a little sooner than OLL and I am wanting to be back on the Carnival Cruise ship Miracle for a dance show that Carnival brings on Polynesian dancers for the one show. We would be renting a car, and this would be an overnight in Maui so wouldn't be returning the car until the following day. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks so much!!!::)

Hi lovebears,

We've been to the Old Lahaina Luau and Feast at Lele - but not the Westin Maui one so I can't compare. We really enjoyed both luaus, but I would have found it too much to sit through another similar dance show right afterwards, so I wouldn't do both, but that's just me & you might enjoy taking in both shows. As an alternative, maybe dinner at sunset at a nice restaurant and then the show on the ship afterwards?

Is your ship going to be in Lahaina?

Edited by Susan-M

As usual, I agree with the advice posted by 'Susan-M'. I've lived in Maui & still do part time & her advice is like that of a 'local'. ;)

The beautiful outdoor performances with the sunset at the OLL or Feast at Lele will be much better than on the ship. I haven't been to the Westin for a luau but have gone to luaus at the Hilton & Marriott. Neither if them were nearly as good as the OLL or Feast at Lele...corny shows & lines for a banquet quality buffet.

The OLL had much better food & entertainment and I would expect the same in comparison to the Westin. The Feast at Lele is an amazing sitdown dinner show at the beach with high quality food, drinks & performances which not only covers Hawaii but other Polynesian cultures. It's more expensive but something I'd recommend for a special experience.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Astro Flyer ... you are so kind! :)

I was thinking about this a bit more and came back to change my recommendation and was glad to see that you've recommended going to the Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Lele. I too think that this is a better choice than the alternative that I suggested above, and better than doing both the Westin Luau and show on the ship. Feast at Lele would be my first choice, but Old Lahaina Luau is very good too.

I agree with the others that the OLL is the one to beat. My only reservation about recommending it 100% is that it does not have any fire dancing. The OLL tries to stay as close to real Hawaiian as possible, which leaves fire dancing out in the cold (pun intended). Since fire dancing is from Somona, it is not part of OLL's show. That is a show stopper for some people, or at least a good reason to go to both The OLL and to a second luau (my personal preference!). Its only money, and you may never get another chance.

I agree with the others that the OLL is the one to beat. My only reservation about recommending it 100% is that it does not have any fire dancing. The OLL tries to stay as close to real Hawaiian as possible, which leaves fire dancing out in the cold (pun intended). Since fire dancing is from Somona, it is not part of OLL's show. That is a show stopper for some people, or at least a good reason to go to both The OLL and to a second luau (my personal preference!). Its only money, and you may never get another chance.

One of the 4 Polynesian cultures depicted in dance & food at the Feast at Lele is Samoa so they have a fire dance performance. :)

It is more expensive than the OLL but the food & drinks are better and are served at your table which can be for 2 instead of larger picnic size tables at OLL.

Both are excellent...just different.

Edited by Astro Flyer

1st time in HI: we will be in Maui one day; OLL gets out at about 8:45--is there time to get back to the ship by 9:30 for 10:30 sail? and how? cabs available?

website for Feast of Lele didn't give hours.

Ship has tours to Kaapalani and Drums of the Pacific (Hyatt)--"K" is described online as "best discount luau"--sounds scary but maybe ok if nothing to compare to??

thanks!

OLL gets out at about 8:45--is there time to get back to the ship by 9:30 for 10:30 sail? and how? cabs available?

website for Feast of Lele didn't give hours.

If your ship is in Kahului, it's a 45-50 minute drive-and probably an $80. cab ride. You could leave Feast at Lele at 8:45 and not miss too much as I think it ends by 9 p.m.

It your ship is in the port of Lahaina, it's about a 10 minute walk from the Feast at Lele venue back to the dock where the tenders are.

• 3 weeks later...

We went to the OLL luau in January 2014 and it was exceptional. It was pricey, $103 pp, but it included the pre dinner activities, buffet, and all the alcohol drinks you wanted. transportation to and from the luau was part of our excursion, so we did not need to worry about driving back to the ship. The atmosphere was fantastic, outdoors by the water so you could see the sunset. Before dinner you walked around the grounds (which were beautiful) and saw demonstrations of local traditions. There was someone teaching hula dancing which was fun. The staff was super, the show was phenomenal. You were given a going away gift of banana bread to bring back. It was a very pleasant evening. I cannot think of one negative thing about the evening.

We went to the OLL luau in January 2014 and it was exceptional. It was pricey, $103 pp, but it included the pre dinner activities, buffet, and all the alcohol drinks you wanted. transportation to and from the luau was part of our excursion, so we did not need to worry about driving back to the ship. The atmosphere was fantastic, outdoors by the water so you could see the sunset. Before dinner you walked around the grounds (which were beautiful) and saw demonstrations of local traditions. There was someone teaching hula dancing which was fun. The staff was super, the show was phenomenal. You were given a going away gift of banana bread to bring back. It was a very pleasant evening. I cannot think of one negative thing about the evening.

Was it an excursion through Carnival?

Was it an excursion through Carnival?

No we booked it independent. We had a full bus and the tour and transportation cost about $50. Would recommend the tour and the bonus was transportation to and from the luau.

'Land Lubber Whale Watch' & Island Tour - booked

Tour through Akina Aloha Tours. Depart Port 1:00

Our journey begins in the Port Town of Kahului, the Commercial Center of the island, and takes us to Historic Wailuku Town, the traditional seat of power for pre-contact ruling chiefs of Maui and the subsequent political and economic forces of the island. Today, it is the County Seat of the Tri-Isle County of Maui, which includes Maui, Moloka‘i and Lana‘i islands. Wailuku is also the hub for all County, State and Federal government offices.

We travel into the Sacred Valley of Iao, into the heart of the West Maui Mountains, where towering emerald peaks guard the sacred burial place of the great Navigators, Kings and High Chiefs of Maui. It is home to one of Maui's most recognizable landmarks, the 1,200-foot, volcanic spire, the Iao Needle. The Valley is also the site of the Battle of Kepaniwai, waged in 1790 by Kamehameha the Great for control of the island. The battle marks a turning point in Hawaiian history.

Your Native Hawaiian Cultural Guide will regale you with the history and legends that surround this Sacred Valley of Iao. Heritage Gardens honors the Plantation Era of Hawai‘i and its impact on bringing the multi-cultural, multi-ethnic make-up of Hawai‘i’s population today.

From Iao Valley we skirt along the base of the West Maui Mountains, with a majestic view of Mt. Haleakala across the isthmus, toward the Western Shoreline of Maui, to Ma‘alaea Bay and on around the Pali (cliffs) toward Lahaina.

"Thar she Blows!"

A 'Land Lubber Whale Watch' from shore.

Keep your eyes on the ocean and be on the lookout for Maui’s biggest winter visitors. It’s Whale Season in Hawai‘i, and the Humpback Whales are here from Alaska for the winter, to birth and breed. Discover why the channel waters between the islands of Kaho‘olawe and Maui are the ideal birthing grounds for these behemoths and learn other interesting facts about these cetaceans. Don’t forget your camera! And binoculars can be useful, too.

Continuing along the scenic shoreline of West Maui, we make our way to Historic Lahaina Town, on the National Register of Historic Places. At one time the Royal Capital of the Kingdom of Hawaii and the winter haven of the American Pacific Whaling Fleet, it was also a sleepy Sugar Plantation-era settlement.

Lahaina has a rich history from the time of the Kingdom of Hawai`i and early missionary influence, to a bawdy past of sailors, rum and ale.

We take a rolling tour of these Historic Sites; Waiola Church, the Moku’ula Royal Compound, Lahaina Harbor, the old Courthouse & Banyan Tree, the Pioneer Inn, Hale Pa’ahao, the Baldwin House, the Wo Hing Tong and, from afar, Lahaina Luna School, the oldest school west of the Rockies.

Today Lahaina is the visitor mecca of Maui, with renowned fine dining restaurants and shops that run the gamut from fine art & jewelry to souvenirs & t-shirts. Time has been allotted for shopping & browsing, or just sipping a Mai Tai & watching the world go by at one of the seaside pubs.

Following your visit to Lahaina, we take the short ride down the street for your evening’s entertainment, the Old Lahaina Lu‘au & Show, Maui’s most authentic Hawaiian Lu‘au. After the festivities, a 50 minute transfer returns you to the ship.

No we booked it independent. We had a full bus and the tour and transportation cost about $50. Would recommend the tour and the bonus was transportation to and from the luau.

'Land Lubber Whale Watch' & Island Tour - booked

Tour through Akina Aloha Tours. Depart Port 1:00

Our journey begins in the Port Town of Kahului, the Commercial Center of the island, and takes us to Historic Wailuku Town, the traditional seat of power for pre-contact ruling chiefs of Maui and the subsequent political and economic forces of the island. Today, it is the County Seat of the Tri-Isle County of Maui, which includes Maui, Moloka‘i and Lana‘i islands. Wailuku is also the hub for all County, State and Federal government offices.

We travel into the Sacred Valley of Iao, into the heart of the West Maui Mountains, where towering emerald peaks guard the sacred burial place of the great Navigators, Kings and High Chiefs of Maui. It is home to one of Maui's most recognizable landmarks, the 1,200-foot, volcanic spire, the Iao Needle. The Valley is also the site of the Battle of Kepaniwai, waged in 1790 by Kamehameha the Great for control of the island. The battle marks a turning point in Hawaiian history.

Your Native Hawaiian Cultural Guide will regale you with the history and legends that surround this Sacred Valley of Iao. Heritage Gardens honors the Plantation Era of Hawai‘i and its impact on bringing the multi-cultural, multi-ethnic make-up of Hawai‘i’s population today.

From Iao Valley we skirt along the base of the West Maui Mountains, with a majestic view of Mt. Haleakala across the isthmus, toward the Western Shoreline of Maui, to Ma‘alaea Bay and on around the Pali (cliffs) toward Lahaina.

"Thar she Blows!"

A 'Land Lubber Whale Watch' from shore.

Keep your eyes on the ocean and be on the lookout for Maui’s biggest winter visitors. It’s Whale Season in Hawai‘i, and the Humpback Whales are here from Alaska for the winter, to birth and breed. Discover why the channel waters between the islands of Kaho‘olawe and Maui are the ideal birthing grounds for these behemoths and learn other interesting facts about these cetaceans. Don’t forget your camera! And binoculars can be useful, too.

Continuing along the scenic shoreline of West Maui, we make our way to Historic Lahaina Town, on the National Register of Historic Places. At one time the Royal Capital of the Kingdom of Hawaii and the winter haven of the American Pacific Whaling Fleet, it was also a sleepy Sugar Plantation-era settlement.

Lahaina has a rich history from the time of the Kingdom of Hawai`i and early missionary influence, to a bawdy past of sailors, rum and ale.

We take a rolling tour of these Historic Sites; Waiola Church, the Moku’ula Royal Compound, Lahaina Harbor, the old Courthouse & Banyan Tree, the Pioneer Inn, Hale Pa’ahao, the Baldwin House, the Wo Hing Tong and, from afar, Lahaina Luna School, the oldest school west of the Rockies.

Today Lahaina is the visitor mecca of Maui, with renowned fine dining restaurants and shops that run the gamut from fine art & jewelry to souvenirs & t-shirts. Time has been allotted for shopping & browsing, or just sipping a Mai Tai & watching the world go by at one of the seaside pubs.

Following your visit to Lahaina, we take the short ride down the street for your evening’s entertainment, the Old Lahaina Lu‘au & Show, Maui’s most authentic Hawaiian Lu‘au. After the festivities, a 50 minute transfer returns you to the ship.

Is Landlubber the tour company?

Is Landlubber the tour company?

NOLA Cruisers mentioned that it was through Akina Aloha Tours - they have a website, but I didn't see that tour listed. I wonder if they put together a custom group tour from their roll call?

• 2 weeks later...
NOLA Cruisers mentioned that it was through Akina Aloha Tours - they have a website, but I didn't see that tour listed. I wonder if they put together a custom group tour from their roll call?

I tried to find the tour but could not find it now. It was set up by a cruise critic member and I guess it was a custom tour. Each one of us went to the Akina website and paid for the tour. We had a full bus load, I guess about 50 people.

We were booked with the Feast of Lele almost a yr in advance, & I got a call one night that they were cancelling our reservation due to a group booking. We now are making a return visit to the OLL with our Roll Call group. I was a bit upset that the Feast of Lele would cancel us after we had been booked with them 10 months.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

If your ship is in Kahului, it's a 45-50 minute drive-and probably an $80. cab ride. You could leave Feast at Lele at 8:45 and not miss too much as I think it ends by 9 p.m.

It your ship is in the port of Lahaina, it's about a 10 minute walk from the Feast at Lele venue back to the dock where the tenders are.

So Feast of LeLe is closer to the port than OLL?