Rio hotel asks for photocopy of credit card and driver's license

Gary K

Hi, there's a hotel I am interested in booking in Rio. Their online form is not working, so I decided to contact them via email. They responded, and sent me a PDF form to fill out my name and credit card details.

But then they also asked me to send them a photocopy of my credit card and driver's license, as ID. Is this normal practice? Can the hotels be trusted with this information?

The hotel in question is part of the Windsor chain of hotels in Rio, a pretty reputable organization from what I've read.

Hi, there's a hotel I am interested in booking in Rio. Their online form is not working, so I decided to contact them via email. They responded, and sent me a PDF form to fill out my name and credit card details.

But then they also asked me to send them a photocopy of my credit card and driver's license, as ID. Is this normal practice? Can the hotels be trusted with this information?

The hotel in question is part of the Windsor chain of hotels in Rio, a pretty reputable organization from what I've read.

This is not uncommon for hotels both large and small in Brazil, particularly for popular/busy holidays/Carnaval. Internet technology in Brazil is sometimes not up to developed world standards. Travelers occasionally post on various Brazil travel pages with questions/doubts like yours. I have never seen anyone post about misused data. However, if it makes you inordinately uncomfortable, book elsewhere. There are properties who do not ask for this info ahead of arrival.

Edited by VidaNaPraia