Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > New Cruisers > First Time Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

First Time Cruisers You May Also Want to Read: Over 4,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)

Old October 1st, 2005, 08:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Toiletries

I am a first time cruiser and wondering whether the cruise ship provides toiletries or i have to bring my own from home.
P.S i am cruising on board the diamond princess.

Old October 1st, 2005, 10:00 PM
10,000+ Club

You will find hand soap and shampoo/conditioner in all cabins. In the upper end suite there will be some more things. You will also have towels. Box of tissue.

Eclipse Jan 26 -23 Feb 2013
Allure B2B 12 & 19 Feb 2012
Allure 5 Dec 2010 http://travel.webshots.com/album/579321903lVFsSR
Norwegian Epic 21 & 28 Aug 2110
Oasis of the Seas 1 & 5 Dec 2009 (Inagural)
Constallation 2-13 Feb 2009
Radiance 26 Sep - 11 Oct 08
Voyager B2B 20 & 27 Jan 2008
Freedom of the Seas 15-22 Oct 06
Summit Hawaii 15-29 Jan 06 Hawaii pics http://community.webshots.com/user/C...n=publicAlbums .
Maasdam Southern Carb 6-17 Feb 05
Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03
Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03
Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:30 AM
20,000+ Club

It really depends on your personal needs. All cruise lines provide soap, shampoo and conditioner, some also provide body/hand lotion. If you really don't care what you use and don't care what you smell like, what they provide will be fine. I've never used any of their products, other than the shampoo dispenser as hand soap. Until you get to the more expensive cruiselines, or into the suites on some other lines, what you get is lower end drugstore variety products.

Of course, I was a hairstylist for 15 years, color my hair and am very particular about what I use on my hair and skin. Keep in mind you will be in the sun and salt water, your hair will take a beating and need special care that week.

Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:09 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Also I believe many of the lines have gone to liquid soap and shampoo dispensers as opposed to bars/small bottles.
HAL Statendam-Alaska '97, HAL Veendam-NE/Canada '98, RCCL-Bermuda '99, Am. Queen 2000, NCL Sky-Caribbean '03, NCL Dawn - Bahamas '03, NCL Sun - Panama Canal '05, NCL Dawn-Western Caribbean '06, London/Paris '06 (land), Italy '07 (land), HAL Noordam - Southern Caribbean '07, HAL Eurodam - Transatlantic '08, HAl Zaandam - Hawaii '09, Tauck Land Tour - California '10, Tulip Time River - Avalon Luminary '11, Viking Prestige Romantic Danube/Driving week in Bavaria '11, HAL Westerdam-Eastern Caribbean '12, Tauck Land Tour Canadian Rockies & Glacier NP '12, CIE Irish Tour '13, NCL Gem Canada/New England '13, HAL Eurodam Baltic Adventure '14

Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:01 AM
5,000+ Club

I always haul along my own stuff. I just never know what I am going to get when I travel. I don't take soap but other than that I bring mine.

Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've been on six different cruiselines. They all have the amenity baskets or bowls in the bathrooms. These contain a variety of sample sized products provided by different companies. They will vary cruise to cruise. I've had soap, shampoo, conditioner, razors, toothbrush and toothpaste, comb, deodorant, mints, Rolaids. Remember that they are samples, so you might want to bring your own. Most showers now have the two dispensers on the shower wall...one with conditioning shampoo and the other with liquid soap.

Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was surprised to find that the Carnival Miracle did not provide any hand soap for the sink. You could reach in the shower and use the body wash, but that wasn't very handy. I wished I had brought hand soap.

Old October 2nd, 2005, 07:58 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I like to bring along extra conditioner. "Conditioning shampoo" just doesn't do it for my thick hair.

Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellya
I was surprised to find that the Carnival Miracle did not provide any hand soap for the sink. You could reach in the shower and use the body wash, but that wasn't very handy. I wished I had brought hand soap.
Probably an oversight. When I was on the Miracle, the cabin steward brought 3 little wrapped bars of soap every morning. Had you asked him, you probably would have gotten them right away.

Old October 3rd, 2005, 11:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

I guess it could be an oversight one day, but you'd think after 7 days he'd notice. I didn't ask since there wasn't even a soap dish or anything, I assumed they didn't provide it. In general he wasn't the most organized steward though.