Explorer of the Seas - Strange noises!

Hflors

I jsut returned from Explorer of the seas and had a wonderful cabin 6200, but there were the strangest noises from below. At first it sounded like some one was banging on pipes. I was taking a shower and the vibration actcally seened right below my feet! Then the noise mooved from the bathroom along the couch and then under the beds! Then it would get quiet and all of a sudden this loud metal banging noise would happen and it would vibrate the floor. This went on all day from about 7 am until about 8 or 9 pm. We called the front desk several times and they even sent up some one from maintenance who told us it was the noises from docking? (How long does it take to dock in the middle of the Atlantic?) He said he would check and we never heard from him. It was strange.

Anyway we didn't let it interfere with our fun. We just wish we could have gotten some sleep in the morning.

By the way the these cabins are wonderful! I love forward facing cabins!

ANyone have this happpen to them?

Assuming that it was not a maintenance issue that they did not get back to you as promised, we had a similar question come up in the Captain's Q&A. Several times during the day there was a loud metallic sound in the forward part of the ship at odd intervals. It almost sounded like the ship had rolled over a rock. When asked about the sound the Captain said it was most likely air trapped in the bow thruster tubes.

• 2 months later...
I jsut returned from Explorer of the seas and had a wonderful cabin 6200,

My family (myself, dh, 2 kids - 7 & 9) just got a complimentary upgrade from a deck 2 cabin to 6200... I'm very excited to say the least! Can you tell me a little more about the cabin? What's in that bunk room - bunk beds or a little lower bed and an upper pull down bed (is that a pullman bed?) Is there a closet in there?

2 windows, correct?

It seems to be in a good area, meaning there won't be many people walking by, being it's not in a long hallway. Am I right to assume that?

Anything else you can share about it (pics???) would be really great!

thanks!!

Tonite, NYE, the ship is lurching violently because of strong winds and waves. I wondered on our live thread if the bow thrusters were working properly. We heard noises in the theater during the show as if something was kicking in and out.

It appears the foul weather would cause problems even for a healthy ship and if there is air in the bow thruster system causing problems that would account for the jumping and lurching the ship is doing. The promenade is creaking and several groups of people were almost sent sprawling at 1 AM.

The pools have been drained and covered. This is our 30th cruise and the roughest. And we have been on 20,000 GRT ships that would have problems in rough seas.

My husband and I were on the explorer in August and had this same exact problem. We were on deck 6 in a prom room. It was terrible. This noise went on for 3 nights in the maintenance room next door. Approx 2-3 a.m it started.LOUD-banging pipe noises. After the second night I had to complain because we even tried napping during the day, and what do ya know, it started again.they really need to be more considerate as to what time they choose to do there maintenance.We asked for a room change, but they couldn't do that.Of course they appologized and said it wouldn't happen again, but it went on for 1 more night.Mind you, this was only a 5 nighter to bermuda.We never complain about issues, and have always had great experiences, but this was by far the worse experience.We booked this cruise 2 1/2 weeks out and took the last prom room so I couldn't choose the location.

Tonite, NYE, the ship is lurching violently because of strong winds and waves. I wondered on our live thread if the bow thrusters were working properly. We heard noises in the theater during the show as if something was kicking in and out.

It appears the foul weather would cause problems even for a healthy ship and if there is air in the bow thruster system causing problems that would account for the jumping and lurching the ship is doing. The promenade is creaking and several groups of people were almost sent sprawling at 1 AM.

The pools have been drained and covered. This is our 30th cruise and the roughest. And we have been on 20,000 GRT ships that would have problems in rough seas.

The bow thrusters are only used for docking, they have nothing to do with the ship lurching

Okay I am really sorry but I am really tired of people recommending earplugs when others complain about the noise in a cabin. First of all earplugs are not pleasant to sleep with, second if this was a hotel would you put up with noise like that, third have you ever had to sleep in a cabin with extreme noise? I had the same issue on our Brilliance cruise last month. I was told it was a gate next to the cabin and 1 below. I told them I hope they find a way to fix the issue because this is not a minor annoyance. Since they have no problem warning passengers about obstructed view cabins I think they need to start warning about noisy cabins.

• 1 year later...

We were in 6200 on the Freedom recently...the noise was AWFUL!!!!! We complained every single day and they denied anything going on at first. My husband went to the helipad and actually took pics of the crew going in and out of a door below us slamming carts into walls and over a thresh hold.....also one day there was a maintenance person chipping paint off the ships hull directly below our room.....they finally offered a different room for us to sleep in on the last 2 nights of the cruise. Surely this is an ongoing problem...as we have never complained about anything...and this is cruise number 12 for us. The noise was UNREASONABLE!!!!!!!

Archived