I need help!!! Alaska cruise thru Vancouver

soonerjimcruiser

Happy day yesterday when I booked a 50th anniversary cruise in August of 2015 thru Vancouver on the Star Princess for the entire family.

Sad day today when I read the horror tales about Canadian customs and how restrictive they are. Cannot risk entire cruise being destroyed by a customs technicality. But I have one family member who had a DUI 7 years ago and another a felony 1 years ago. Both paid their penalties, but now I am horrified to find out that might thwart their entry to Canada and getting on the cruise ship.

Princess was surprisingly little help talling me to contact Canadian consulates. Did so in Phoenix (closed, and referred me to LA). LA made it clear on the phone recordings that no information can be gained by phone (why have a phone number?).

Family would be flying from Phoenix and Las Vegas to Vancouver. Can anybody tell me authoratatively what I may need to do to make sure everybody can go? THANKS abundantly for any responses.

Happy day yesterday when I booked a 50th anniversary cruise in August of 2015 thru Vancouver on the Star Princess for the entire family.

Sad day today when I read the horror tales about Canadian customs and how restrictive they are. Cannot risk entire cruise being destroyed by a customs technicality. But I have one family member who had a DUI 7 years ago and another a felony 1 years ago. Both paid their penalties, but now I am horrified to find out that might thwart their entry to Canada and getting on the cruise ship.

Princess was surprisingly little help talling me to contact Canadian consulates. Did so in Phoenix (closed, and referred me to LA). LA made it clear on the phone recordings that no information can be gained by phone (why have a phone number?).

Family would be flying from Phoenix and Las Vegas to Vancouver. Can anybody tell me authoratatively what I may need to do to make sure everybody can go? THANKS abundantly for any responses.

Any authoritative answers you may get would have to come from a Canadian Immigration source, but here's a starting point:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312ETOC.asp#5312E2

It is my understanding that Canadian authorities review the passenger manifests. They identify people they want to talk to. They give the list to the cruise line and those people are brought to meet with the Canadian officials upon arrival. These officials decide whether or not to allow these people to depart the ship. Some are allowed, some are required to stay on the ship and some depart with the Canadian officials. For what I have heard, a DUI can be forgiven by Canada, but the payment of a fee may be required.

Sorry, but a year old felony conviction will not sit well with our brothers to the north. Sadly, here in Caifornia, we just passed a referendum measure to reclassify some felonies as misdemeanors and dumb down our "3 strikes" law. "Sad day" for folks who don't like crimes against their property.

If your relative must go, try Seattle round trip and have him stay on the ship in Canadian ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since the cruise you booked is nine months away, you do have the option of canceling and booking a cruise that doesn't sail out of a Canadian port.

For the family members with the possible legality issues I believe they are the ones who would have to seek out the answers as to their being allowed in Canada or not. I doubt that information would be given to you other then a generalization that would have no real use.

The person with the year old felony should make sure they would be able to fly also. This would come under TSA and Homeland Security.

Certainly not the warm feelings you must have had when you were booking the cruise. I hope it all works out and you have a wonderful 50th anniversary holiday.

Sorry, but a year old felony conviction will not sit well with our brothers to the north. Sadly, here in Caifornia, we just passed a referendum measure to reclassify some felonies as misdemeanors and dumb down our "3 strikes" law. "Sad day" for folks who don't like crimes against their property.

If your relative must go, try Seattle round trip and have him stay on the ship in Canadian ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't believe it matters whether a passenger stays on the ship or not. If Canada reviews the manifest ahead of time, they'll have the right to deny boarding. (just as you are required to have a visa for certain countries, such as Brazil, whether or not you intend to go out in that port)

And it's not something that Princess or any cruise line) has any control over, so they did give you the help they knew of (maybe the person you talked to was given that number without knowing it was out-of-date).

You have a while before final payment so you can start the ball rolling now to get an official reply in writing. If needed, your family members could get their lawyers involved.

Princess was surprisingly little help talling me to contact Canadian consulates. Did so in Phoenix (closed, and referred me to LA).

I am not sure why you say your cruise would be destroyed by a "customs technicality". If the felons can't go, this would be a result of their bad choices, not any government agency. Anyway, it's an immigration issue, not a customs issue.

The cruise line has nothing to do with this, and suggest you not rely on immigration advice from a minimum wage worker who doesn't know what they are talking about. Read this page:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/conviction.asp

Instructions are given on how to gain admissibility to Canada. Note it can take a year to complete this process.

Some of the advice you've been given is really for cruises that depart from Seattle, and just have a port stop in Canada. But, in your case, these two people would be flying to YVR, and need to be admitted to Canada at the airport. The person with the one year old conviction is likely to be denied entry, or even denied boarding for the flight to YVR. And yes, the airline will probably be alerted to this problem before the flight departs. I don't think the year old felony will be easy to clear up. It's just too new.

The person with the seven year old DUI may have better luck. Suggest you let them deal with this, or consider canceling their bookings, or booking a different cruise, that doesn't involve Canada.

Edited by 6rugrats

FYI, this works both ways. My cousin was enroute to the UK, through the USA and got detained and refused entry to the USA due a conviction he had in Canada, and had to return back to Canada at great cost and loss of air fare . Ironically he had been driving trucks back and forth across the borders for several months without any issue, so did not anticipate any problems with flying. You never know. Essentially he needs to appeal for a pardon if he ever wishes entry into the USA again or many other countries for that matter.

Each country has their own rules and the right to refuse entry to whom they deem a risk or undesirable. Sadly past actions/ behavior will follow and impact ones ability to travel the globe.

Hopefully you can get your answers and perhaps this family member will be able to get some kind of pardon in place before the cruise.

Good luck.

You shouldn't be that horrified to find that out -- after all, it's much the same for entering the US. It's hardly a "technicality" that might keep a convicted felon from traveling to another country.

The only authoritative advice will come in writing from Canadian Immigration officials; you can always get a lawyer to help you with it if you'd like. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/conviction.asp

What you have said is correct. You've asked for responses and yes it is possible that your family member will not be allowed into Canada. You may want to rethink the cruise and pick a different area to sail..

Keith

Since the cruise you booked is nine months away, you do have the option of canceling and booking a cruise that doesn't sail out of a Canadian port.

For the family members with the possible legality issues I believe they are the ones who would have to seek out the answers as to their being allowed in Canada or not. I doubt that information would be given to you other then a generalization that would have no real use.

The person with the year old felony should make sure they would be able to fly also. This would come under TSA and Homeland Security.

Certainly not the warm feelings you must have had when you were booking the cruise. I hope it all works out and you have a wonderful 50th anniversary holiday.

There is no restriction on convicted felons flying domestically, unless they are on a no-fly list due to the nature of the crime. (Interfering with a flight crew, trying to carry in a weapon, etc,).

The problem again arises with Canadian immigration in YVR when they try to enter the country.

The person with the DUI might get a short term visa allowing them in if they post a bond that they will not operate a vehicle and possibly not consume alcohol. The bond will require the services of an immigration attorney and surety company and will likely cost more than the cruise fare to obtain.

The felony conviction only a year old will be a no-go. If it was a violent crime or drug related, it will be at least 10 years before they will be allowed back into Canada, and at that point quite possibly only with a bond.

You need to choose a different cruise that doesn't enter Canada (or Singapore or any number of other countries) or resign yourself to the fact that at least one family member will not be joining you.

Here is information on what the person with the DUI must do in order to be able to enter Canada ever. The good news is that the DUI is far enough in the past that they may receive individual rehabilitation from the Canadian Government or they may be deemed rehabilitated. The bad news is that this may take a year to receive.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/conviction.asp

The person with the felony cannot enter Canada until at least 5 years have passed since they finished their probation or parole sentences.

http://www.wikihow.com/Travel-to-Canada-with-a-Felony-Charge

It seems you now have 2 empty berths on your Alaska cruise. My suggestion is that you cancel the cruise for these 2 people and buy a new cruise for you and your husband. Thank goodness you are far out from the final payment date and even better, tomorrow is cyber monday, so you should be able to get another cruise at a similarly low price.

We live near the Canadian border and cross often. Unfortunately, we have friends from both sides of the border that can NOT cross due to DUI convictions. They are not felony convictions, and they are not new convictions. You can do as what was stated above to gain entry, but yes, it is time and MONEY to do it. I also agree with cancelling the two with the legal issues if you want to go for this itinerary. Chances are they won't get into Canada.

To the OP, the rules go both ways. Canadians with a criminal record (even a minor one) may also be refused admission to the United States.

Another option may be for you to look at an Alaska cruise out of Seattle. Although that cruise will visit a Canadian port (usually Victoria) the worst thing that can happen in that situation is not being allowed off the ship for that port.

The passport numbers are linked to US citizens criminal records. Yes, felons CAN get passports in most cases, however, obtaining visas is a whole other thing.

The person with the DUI and the person with the felony will be flagged by Canada and refused entry to Canada by Immigration officers at the Vancouver airport. At that point, their only option would be to return to the US at their own expense.

Even, if the cruise were a closed loop from Seattle to Seattle, some cruise lines will not allow someone with a DUI to board a ship until minimum 10 years after completion of parole or probation. Canada would receive a copy of the ship's manifest prior to boarding and the person with the DUI would be denied boarding. There is no question that the person with the felony would also be denied boarding. Here is more discussion of this issue:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=565131&highlight=felony

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=516028