Argentina

Parsman

The "Balmoral" was refused berthing in Buenos Aires, Argentina earlier this month after its call in Stanley, Falkland Islands presumably because of the current tension between the UK and Argentina over the sovereignty of the islands. I believe that this has happended to several other cruise ships over the past month. I wonder if BA will be dropped from future South American cruise itineries or will it be Stanley that is excluded?

Argentina are only harming themselves. They must make a lot of money from visiting cruise ships, with berthing, pilotage, victualling etc, apart from the money that visitors spend ashore. Perhaps all British cruise lines should boycott Argentine ports of call, and not give them the satisfaction of refusing us entry.

Brian

I agree, it's to be hoped they drop Argentina rather than the Falklands. We really enjoyed our visit to Stanley and would have hated to have missed it, also Montevideo and Chile have lots to offer.

I totally agree with previous comments. Though we were disappointed not to visit Buenos Aires on the Balmoral earlier this month, we would have been delighted to have spent an extra day in the Falklands.

FO worked very hard to arrange for us to spend extra time in Montevideo (lovely) with the tour department arranging extra excursions. However, we were thrown out at 4 am in the morning. Problems continued at Santos, Brazil when the port authorities held us up for so long that all tours for that day had to be cancelled. We began to feel that South America 'had it in for us'.

Nevertheless, it was a wonderful holiday and I would advise anyone thinking of booking in the future not to be put off by Argentina's attitude. Fred Olsen, as always, did a good job.

Archived