Yangtze River Cruise Recommendation

yialanliu

Hi guys,

I've been looking at a couple of cruises for the Yangtze river in China however I find that they all come bundled with excusions in major cities like Shanghai/Beijing. Viking does like a 15 day but the cruise portion is not something you can book alone. Do any of you know one where it's just the cruise? As someone who was born in Shanghai and went to school in Beijing, I could careless about these touristy excusions and would like a cruise only vacation.

Hi guys,

I've been looking at a couple of cruises for the Yangtze river in China however I find that they all come bundled with excusions in major cities like Shanghai/Beijing. Viking does like a 15 day but the cruise portion is not something you can book alone. Do any of you know one where it's just the cruise? As someone who was born in Shanghai and went to school in Beijing, I could careless about these touristy excusions and would like a cruise only vacation.

I did the 11 day with Viking in China. Viking put us up in Bejing at the Westin Financial Hotel for 3 nights, then we were on the ship for 5 nights and then in Shanghai at the Westin Bund centre Hotel for 3 nights. Our meals were all included at the hotels as well as on the ship.

I went with a friend who wanted to go and I really enjoyed it.

Viking takes you from the hotel on tours each day as well as to the Great Wall. Read the "Viking China" thread that has been going on for years I think and you will get lots of information there and then you can decide.

I did the 11 day with Viking in China. Viking put us up in Bejing at the Westin Financial Hotel for 3 nights, then we were on the ship for 5 nights and then in Shanghai at the Westin Bund centre Hotel for 3 nights. Our meals were all included at the hotels as well as on the ship.

I went with a friend who wanted to go and I really enjoyed it.

Viking takes you from the hotel on tours each day as well as to the Great Wall. Read the "Viking China" thread that has been going on for years I think and you will get lots of information there and then you can decide.

I know Viking does the long tours but when you specifically want the 5 day cruise they cannot accommodate that request. I have no interest in living in a hotel when I own homes in both shanghai and Beijing.

I don't think Viking owns the ships in china as they might in Europe, I researched a DIY china tour, it is possible to book direct with the ships, you would have better luck checking tripadvisor than these boards.

I don't consider myself an expert, however, someone may give you better advice.

• 1 month later...

We travelled through China making our own arrangements. We took the Qianlong Dragon from Chongqing to Yichang - three nights. It is Chinese owned and caters to both western and Chinese tourists. It cost less than the "luxury" cruises but is plenty comfortable - consider it a Holiday Inn rather than the Ritz, but eth amazing Chinese Qi dynasty motifs. If you go, the boat on the river that looks like a dragon, is the Qianlong Dragon. The crew was great, food was good - they had Chinese and some western food - eggs made to order every morning for us Americans ;-D . Our cabin was very clean ad more than adequate, bathroom was thee same - my only complaint was the bed was very hard but that was true throughout China. We had our own balcony. The excursions were the same as all the cruises offer. We met a lot of nice people from all over the world. I recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on a Victoria cruise during our visit to China last year - Yichang to Chongching. We were travelling independently - not group tour - booked with Wendy Wu (Aust). We chose where we wanted to go and they put it together for us. There were mainly Chinese nationals (it was over a long weekend, 3 Americans. 2 Aussies and a group from Singapore. check their website as it lists all "sailings". "We were classes as "special guests".:)

Archived