Best Alaska cruiseline for ACTIVE land exursions

skm006

My husband and I are attempting to plan an Alaska cruise for next summer. We are both VERY active and would like to do the Expedition cruises but the cost is prohibitive. We plan to cruise South out of Seward to Vancouver. Any suggestions on cruise lines that offer the best active and adventure-like land exursions?

My husband and I are attempting to plan an Alaska cruise for next summer. We are both VERY active and would like to do the Expedition cruises but the cost is prohibitive. We plan to cruise South out of Seward to Vancouver. Any suggestions on cruise lines that offer the best active and adventure-like land exursions?

Princess. :)

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruisetours/alaska/land_excursions/

For that itinerary...Seward to Vancouver...I recommend Royal Caribbean.

That said, the excursions are going to be similar on all the cruise lines. The best active excursions are those booked on your own. First, spend some extra time in Alaska pre-cruise. There's a lot to be seen between Anchorage and Seward. Then, research each port on the cruise.

We loved Innersea Discoveries (now known as the UnCruise line). I put up a review after our July, 2012 cruise. Highly recommended. I went snorkeling, explored a cave, took some pretty strenuous hikes, did a lot of kayaking and went paddleboarding once. Our total bill for extras at the end of the trip was $140 and that included alcohol (but not tips). So, the up-front cost may be at the spending-your-kids;-inheritance level but you won't get sticker shock when you leave the ship.

Either your car or the Alaska Ferry System and make it a DIY trip with you picking your excursions at each port.

DON

Last week I read a blog by someone who traveled around Alaska in a tent he pitched on the deck of the ferry every night. He had to borrow more duct tape from his fellow passengers to hold it down in the wind. I haven't been able to talk DH into this even though we'd save a lot of money! :D

Having said that- we did take the ferry from Wrangell to Ketchikan last year and will be taking it from Sitka to Juneau next year. We splurged and got a stateroom- even though it was a daytime trip of maybe 4 hours, it was nice to have a space of our own (with window).

Archived