R.C.C.L Respond To Immersion Crisis, Please

We all know the cruise lines check this site from time to time. I also know from primary sources that ship staff spends a fair amount of time viewing our pages. So this "immersion crisis" of ours is not news to most employees of R.C.C.L. Therefore I am asking R.C.C.L to respond and define what a 'immersion" product is! I also would like to suggest that it is in R.C.C.L.'s best interest to get out in front of this! The sooner we know what we actually bought, the more time we have to adjust!

I believe that anticipation of a wonderful cruise is a major component of the cruise experience! This confusion we now suffer from has taken away, at least for me, that good pre-cruise feeling I normally have.

If I'm going to have to make "adjustments" for my cruise the minimum I expect from R.C.C.L. are the facts, and as much time as possible to adjust!

Can you really call this a crisis?

It is for those of us who spent ( hotel, air..etc) $14,000 on a product we didn't want in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We all know the cruise lines check this site from time to time. I also know from primary sources that ship staff spends a fair amount of time viewing our pages. So this "immersion crisis" of ours is not news to most employees of R.C.C.L. Therefore I am asking R.C.C.L to respond and define what a 'immersion" product is! I also would like to suggest that it is in R.C.C.L.'s best interest to get out in front of this! The sooner we know what we actually bought, the more time we have to adjust!

I believe that anticipation of a wonderful cruise is a major component of the cruise experience! This confusion we now suffer from has taken away, at least for me, that good pre-cruise feeling I normally have.

If I'm going to have to make "adjustments" for my cruise the minimum I expect from R.C.C.L. are the facts, and as much time as possible to adjust!

If it's that big of a concern, why don't you just call the C&A desk?

It is for those of us who spent ( hotel, air..etc) $14,000 on a product we didn't want in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are completely right to be concerned where you have spent so much money. I agree with the OP that RCL should explain better.

For sure they will not try to ruin your cruise and I strongly doubt that any Jewel cruise will be an immersion - it does not make sense, 75% of the clients will be American or British and there will not be any other countries significantly represented.

Can you really call this a crisis?

Mark my words, this will turn out to be a crisis for RCCL. I was a huge fan of this cruise line! I retired early, Alice and I took 2 cruises last year and planed to do 2 this year and in the years to come do at least 3 cruises or more per yr. Should our June, immersion cruise not be to our liking, I.E.

1) English not spoken by ship staff

2) Excursions in a forging laungage

3) Food totally forging

3) Smoking area expanded

4) Entertainment in forging language

5) Euros as on board currency

7) Meal times drastically different

Then we will find other cruising vendors to give our money too!!

I did call Crown and Anchor and the answers to my questions were "I don't know, really", "I can't say for 100% sure" and things like, "I would imagine", "I would think", etc. I wish they would have answers for us, surely they would expect questions!!

I took 3 cruises on RCCL and I liked them - they had smoking and non-smoking areas, and no toplessness - if they now change that after I have another one (two actually but no air yet with the second one) booked, with air paid for and hotel paid for, that's not right. I never would have chosen it to begin with!!

I think if you're willing not to do anything too exotic, you don't have to worry about "immersion".

My husband and I always cruise from an American port on itineraries where we know that most of our fellow passengers will be American. We just feel more comfortable that way.

Many people on our roll call have called and t.a's have called on our behalf. I agree that it is not logical for a cruise line to ruin its own product!! Having said that however, this is what we have been told;

1) food

2) language

3) ship retail

3) ship entertainment

have been changed to reflect the culture of the port

We are leaving from England!!!!!!!!

Mark my words, this will turn out to be a crisis for RCCL. I was a huge fan of this cruise line! I retired early, Alice and I took 2 cruises last year and planed to do 2 this year and in the years to come do at least 3 cruises or more per yr. Should our June, immersion cruise not be to our liking, I.E.

3) Food totally forging

3) Smoking area expanded

I will say it again - this was not our experience. The only difference was the change of dining times - we moved to 1st sitting at 8:00. None of the other fears were there.

There is a problem with an immersion cruise - that is that Americans will be in the minority - you cannot get away from that fact, whatever else is changed.

3) Food totally forging

3) Smoking area expanded

For sure a huge crisis for RCCL to come:rolleyes:

I too agree. Just let us know what the real deal is. Then we can make an informed decision. Too many different responses by staff that obviously do not know exactly what is going on with these cruises. I have been given conflicting information on every question I asked. I have written a LETTER and e mailed corporate offices, no response as yet. I will give them a few more days to respond before I cancel.

Brad185, While this is not a crisis in the true sense of the word, it is a major pain in the .......and will cost me dollars and precious time to find a replacement vacation, not easy in our situation. Not everyone can be flexible with dates, cabins, etc.

THAT is the real problem here: you can call but you will get a different answer depending on who you speak to! We were contacted by our TA who told me verbatim what she was told by telephone call initiated by RCL. I told her get us on the trip before our booked one which was the same itinerary but in reverse. She called me back and said they told her that one would also be an immersion. That set off the firestorm. I am now hearing that the Asian immersion cruises will ONLY be the short cruises and not the 14n we are on. what gives? Is RCL changing its corporate mind about this or were we given wrong info in the first place? Are we or are we not booked on an immersion cruise so that we may make an informed decision about whether to go or cancel?

3) Food totally forging

3) Smoking area expanded

1) Do you really think that they will change the entire staff and run examinations to ensure that they can't speak English? English will be the SECOND language on the ship, just not the first.

2) Excursions will be offered in English as long as there are enough customers asking for English.

3) Totally foreign food? So you think that the Spanish eat daisies, hay and hard boiled seaweed? No one has said that. Most food is international in nature and while they may add a few local dishes, there should be plenty to eat.

3) (Again, look above, it's not my fault!) This is a crisis? People are dying every day in wars all over the earth and this is a crisis?

4) Yup, all comedy in a foreign language, only foreign language music as well. You aren't even allowed to sit in the theatre if you are American-English speaking. Flamenco dancers dancing to Spanish music.. the horror, it would be better if they did Flamenco to Madonna songs from the 80s. (Sarcasm is definitely implied)

5) What REAL difference does the currency onboard make? If it's USD 8 or EUR 5 there is no real difference, other than the fact that some people don't know how to use a calculator and certainly can't manage to type 8 USD in EUR in google. Hey, maybe the world should switch to using USD everywhere just to make it easier for American tourists.

7) So, it was okay when the Spanish had to eat early to accommodate you, but not acceptable when you have to eat later to accommodate them?

This isn't a crisis at all. This is just another hysteric thread beating a dead horse.

1) English not spoken by ship staff Most of them don't speak english well anyway

2) Excursions in a forging laungage Only adds to the flavor of new places & people

3) Food totally forging

3) Smoking area expanded this could be an issue

4) Entertainment in forging language This would be interesting and expand your horizon

5) Euros as on board currency You use sail & sign anyway?

7) Meal times drastically different Eat in the Windjammer or your cabin

I guess I do not totally understand why you are so upset. But partly because I do not really understand what an "Immersion" cruise entails. Plus the fact I think some of the things you stated could make for an interesting trip, something outside the box.

Years ago our family had to move, our 13 year old son was NOT excited about it and did not want to go. However he had no choice, I told him "Look, you got two choices go and be absolutely miserable, or go and look at it as a new adventure and make the best of it." He made the best of it. So if you can not get answers and you can not get money back...............Don't let it make you crazy, go and look at it as an adventure you might just have the best cruise every. Never let anyone steal your joy!!!

steps off soap box gently backs up..........

I could care less if I'm in the minority!!!! I just want to be able to particpate!!!! Find food I like. Enjoy the entertainment..etc.....you know....like I'm on a cruise!!

Crisis?? HUH??

What crisis?

Do you really think RCCL has to discuss their business decisions with the passengers?

Believe me, they don't. RCCL owes no explanation of their marketing strategy to you or anyone else.... They answer only to their stockholders on these decisions.

There isn't any crisis here....if you want an American experience all the time......stay in the U.S. and go to a State Park.

Crisis?? HUH??

What crisis?

Do you really think RCCL has to discuss their business decisions with the passengers?

Believe me, they don't. RCCL owes no explanation of their marketing strategy to you or anyone else.... They answer only to their stockholders on these decisions.

There isn't any crisis here....if you want an American experience all the time......stay in the U.S. and go to a State Park. Or, you could take one of those wimpy, boring, overpriced Hawaii cruises.

Oh, wait, you might run into an Asian from Japan.

Never mind.

Here's what I was told:

Immersion cruises from Asia/Latin America/Brazil:

the services and product have been tailored to their cultural preferences in food and beverage, entertainment and retail. While English language assistance will be provided, the local language will be the primary language spoken onboard.

I could care less if I'm in the minority!!!! I just want to be able to particpate!!!! Find food I like. Enjoy the entertainment..etc.....you know....like I'm on a cruise!!

But it doesn't sound like they are going to change it for just you. So step outside your comfort zone and try to get into it. Sounds to me like you got two choices here, go and be miserable and make everyone around you miserable, or go and enjoy it and get into the adventure of it. Bet it isn't as bad as you think......................:D remember calm sea's,calm market & good health!!!!

Well, here are a few tips for you to allay some of your fears:

1. Many UK residents speak English.

2. There are some differences in cuisine, but it will certainly not feel totally forging (sic).

3. Smoking restrictions are quite strict in the UK, as well, so I doubt there'll be much difference there.

4. Euros are almost as good as money.

5. Dining times may be a little different, but you'll also be several time zones away from home, so it won't likely be anywhere near your 'normal' dining time anyway. You'll adjust.

6. You may notice an extra 'u' here in there in words like colour and humour. Don't worry. They mean the same thing as the words you're used to w/o the extra letters.

7. If someone asks you where the 'lifts' are, they mean the elevators.

I'm sure others could add their own bits of advice, as well.

Edit: I'm thinking you were talking about the Southampton cruises, but if not, this, of course, is not much help. :o

Travel is supposed to broaden the mind, not the behind.

An "Immersion" cruise that reflects the port it sails from... and it's sailing from the UK? So, you are unable to understand the Queen's English? :confused:

Personally, I think an immersion cruise sounds like a smashing good time! Positively brilliant!

Archived